longevity of a crossbow - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community
 6Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 31 (permalink) Old 06-01-2017, 02:36 PM Thread Starter
The Man

longevity of a crossbow

I know you get what you pay for but it just seems with all the force and torque crossbows go through thank God for Warranties.. You can drop a bundle $$$ even on a cheaper CB, Like a Wicked Ridge Invader ... I have two and the limbs cracked on me. I had to send them back and all were fixed for free. However they weren't old at all..

So if you invest big $$$$$$$ bucks for an expensive CB and have to keep sending it back under warranty it just doesn't make me want to invest $$$$$$$$ in a expensive CB.

So you CB shooters? How long does your CB last? If you get 5 years out of one is it good? Also I would not want to buy a used CB. Right now because the 2 Wicked Ridge CB had to go back for warranty and it was in season I never got to use them that year.. I did purchase two cheaper CB since I was going out of state to hunt deer. So now my family we do have a spare CB should the WR need repairs again... So normally you can spend $500 on a gun and have it for life.. CB probably not?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 31 (permalink) Old 06-01-2017, 02:42 PM Thread Starter
The Man

The negative side of buying a cheap CB too is the model is no longer made and kind of hard to get parts.. So many Pro and Con when you buy a CB.. Probably good to buy a well know name brand so you can get parts or repairs done.. The two cheaper CB I own I could no longer get spare strings from the mfg.. Woo... However thanks to the good people on here They turned me on to a place that makes CB strings for that particular CB. The CB that I speak of is the S A SPORT Rebel.. It a good shooting CB but no longer made..

The reason I have quite of bit of CB and not one real good one $$$$$$ is called HAVING A SON!!!
post #3 of 31 (permalink) Old 06-01-2017, 06:51 PM
Frequent Contributor

As crossbow limbs get shorter, and we ask for more power, and speed it takes it's toll on the limbs, cables, strings, and all associated parts that impart that force into the arrow/bolt. Even with the reverse draw crossbows that allow for a greater power stroke have what I see as short limbs. Then we get into the flagship machines such as the Ravin "R" series crossbows. We are asking those short limbs, cables, strings, and cams to do a VERY serious amount of work. In the end we will need to replace parts sooner than later if we do alot of shooting. I have been pretty lucky with equipment, but I am also a realistic person. Looking at the designs, and what the machine/crossbow does--we are asking alot of the materials that make up the total package in the latest flagship crossbows. The consumer wants "more" out of their crossbow(s)--the manufacturers are trying to give us that--so--we got more power, more speed, and more wear on the parts that make up the crossbow.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 31 (permalink) Old 06-02-2017, 07:27 AM
Diehard Outdoorsman

I have a 10 year old Parker Terminator. Other than replacing the string I have not had any issues with the xbow from normal use. I hunt at least twice a week from September thru February in SRA . The bow is usually left cocked and occasionally uncocked . I must be lucky with a good bow.

"Lazy people think of the easy way to do the hard stuff"
post #5 of 31 (permalink) Old 06-04-2017, 08:02 AM

Expensive crossbows can blow up in a week. Cheap crossbows can last forever. It is hard to predict reliability when we are asking so much from a crossbow with high draw weights and short limbs. Lots of stresses being put on most every part of the bow.

I always tell folks if you are looking for a crossbow that you plan to keep and use for a very long time, stick with one of the manufacturers that have been in the game for some time and that have great customer service if you should ever need it.

I support all hunters, regardless of weapon or technique!
post #6 of 31 (permalink) Old 06-04-2017, 11:50 PM

Two biggest things to put in your favor would be track record of the manufacturer and the maintenance upkeep YOU put into your investment.
Most would show signs of stress before having a catastrophic breakdown.
post #7 of 31 (permalink) Old 06-04-2017, 11:58 PM
The Man

Call me a dinosaur, but these limb failures are exactly why I still shoot aluminum bolts out of my crossbow. I think the carbon bolts are too light and stress the limbs more. The extra weight of the aluminum offers more resistance instead of being like dry firing the bow. I still get plenty of speed and total passthroughs. FWIW, I know I'm in the vast minority here but I've had my crossbow for over 5 years with no failures.

Last edited by kudu58; 06-05-2017 at 05:27 PM.
post #8 of 31 (permalink) Old 06-05-2017, 08:08 AM
Frequent Contributor

I too have been lucky. My current hunting rig is an Excalibur Matrix 380. I keep my brace height high instead of low. I know full well that when fired the loops IF loose will add additional stress as the limbs recoil. I've shot recurves in the past, and know what can happen to limb tips. Brace is important on these beasts.
Also I keep spare everything--just in case I need it. So far I have had no issues other than der only taking a few steps, and dropping dead after the shot. The deer may have complaints, but for me--NONE.
The amount of energy in the modern crossbow is quite alot when comparing similar models only a few years ago. We are asking so much from our equipment these days. For me--when I started to test out new flagship models I was blown away at the capabilities of the modern crossbow when comparing them to older models. So far I've been lucky, and have no plans of going backwards. The wear, and such is the price we pay for the output of the modern crossbow. I'll keep shooting what I have, and do what is needed to keep it shooting. I love the accuracy, power, and speed. The trade off---wear on limbs, and such--I'll live with that.
post #9 of 31 (permalink) Old 06-05-2017, 10:24 AM

just like Wald Jager. i have a parker safari magnum outfitter package crossbow that is 14 years old, works like the day i bought it. every couple years i take it to the local pro shop and have it checked out and lubed. only replaced the string and cables once.

http://www.thebreastcancersite.com
go here click on the pink square, beat breast cancer
post #10 of 31 (permalink) Old 06-05-2017, 04:48 PM
Frequent Contributor

My Parker Cyclone is 7 years old and paid $500 for it. I don't think longevity is an issue, esp. If you buy one that you can un- cock it without shooting it. They are no different then rifles once you sight it in all you have to do is shoot it a few times prior to the season to make sure you are still dialed in.
I have to shoot mine after every hunt but still only shoot it about 25 shots per year. Compared to my compound which I would shoot 25 times at least 3 days per week during the season and even more during the summer months.

PETA hates me, but I'm okay with that......

Last edited by ShedSeeker; 06-05-2017 at 04:50 PM.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page