BowTech Stryker or 10 Point Phantom ? - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-05-2009, 02:04 AM Thread Starter

BowTech Stryker or 10 Point Phantom ?

Hey guys,
I've always been a vertical bow hunter, but with the shoulder injury I've sustained and the legal use of them now in the archery season, I'm contimplating the purchase of one soon. The 2 particular xbows that I've been looking at are the Ten Point Phantom and the BowTech Stryker. The Stryker is said to be the "Worlds Fastest" at 405 FPS. Both are Quite pricey, but I've heard some good things about each. Any personal experience with either of these or input you have, would be Greatly appreciated. Thanks in Advance !

I HATE Bread !!!

Training Your Dog Is Like A Marathon, Not A Sprint
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-05-2009, 02:09 AM
Diehard Outdoorsman

Re: BowTech Stryker or 10 Point Phantom ?

I believe MATT/PA has the stryker. He can probably answer any questions.

LCPL Ralph Fabbri 9/29/89-9/28/10 KIA fighting for our freedom.

Fabbri Taxidermy
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-05-2009, 09:08 AM
Banned

Location: The village of Saint Thomas, Franklin County, PA 4B, but most likely hunting in either 4A or 2C

First of all, I would be more concerned about how you are going to cock the bow than about speed of the arrow/bolt. What I mean by this is, how severe is your shoulder injury? Can you put your foot into a stirrup and lift half of the draw weight of your crossbow, say half of 150 pounds or 75 pounds? If so, a crossbow with a rope cocking aid will be just fine for you. If not, you need to look at mechanical cocking devices. That would be my first bit of advice.

If you are going to be an ethical crossbow hunter, your shots will be 30 yards or less, with the occasional shot taken at a completely unaware deer at around 40 yards. In other words, just about what you would take with the compound bow. Most of the crossbows on the market are accurate out to those ranges, so your choice of weapon will not be really critical.
Go to a well-stocked archery shop that has a range and will allow you to try several bows. After doing so, including cocking the bows, decide which one meets your needs the best.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-05-2009, 10:29 AM

The faster the bow is the harder it is to get it to perform properly.You already know that though since you are and still will be an archery hunter.Having a shoulder injury (I have one and tennis elbow in both arms) I would also consider the weight factor and try to find one on the lighter side.There isn't a bow on the market that will not complete a humane kill on a deer.That is provided you do your part.A crossbow is not a gun it is a bow.Shoot a few and you will know why I say that.Expensive does not always equal better.Take a look at an Excalibur.Moderately priced,light and uncomplicated.You can even change your string yourself with a $20 stringer.They may even be less mine came in a kit.Try that with a Ten Point or Stryker.You need a bow press capable of doing crossbows to change a string on those.

Bob Seger,till it shines.
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-05-2009, 03:17 PM
Hooked on HuntingPa

The Stryker weighs a bunch and can only be cocked w/ a crank. The Strykforce is a much more popular bow at nearly the same fps. The Phantom is nose heavy and a lot of $.

I've shot the Strkyer but not the Phantom, just shouldered one.

Rope cockers are a lot faster and quieter than crank types, you might want to see if you can handle one of those and then shop for a bow.

Illigitimus Non Carborundrum!
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-05-2009, 07:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DucHunr
Hey guys,
I've always been a vertical bow hunter, but with the shoulder injury I've sustained and the legal use of them now in the archery season, I'm contimplating the purchase of one soon. The 2 particular xbows that I've been looking at are the Ten Point Phantom and the BowTech Stryker. The Stryker is said to be the "Worlds Fastest" at 405 FPS. Both are Quite pricey, but I've heard some good things about each. Any personal experience with either of these or input you have, would be Greatly appreciated. Thanks in Advance !
Of the crossbows we make I actually very much prefer the "Strykeforce" over the Stryker.
It's lighter, more compact and almost the same performance.........not to mention quite a bit cheaper.

I'm setting mine up right now for turkey season.

Check out the Bowtech forum on Crossbow Nation, or the crossbow forum on Archerytalk and search "Strykeforce" you will see it is getting a lot of rave reviews.
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-05-2009, 11:14 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

The last photo you shared of yourself on this website showed you with a fine buck and a fine recurve. Have you experienced an unfortunate accident that reduces you to a crossbow for turkey season? I hope any physical imparement experienced isn't longlasting, and you will be back to full vertical bow health soon.

The BOC will always find your comments highly informative.

5C, 2G, 3D, 5B Life NRA, Life PFSC
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-06-2009, 11:45 PM
Frequent Contributor

i don't know much about x bows but matt is right
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-07-2009, 07:08 PM
Regular Visitor

I looked at a lot of xbows this past year and finally decided on the StrykeForce with a Hawke SR scope. The only drawback to the SF is there is not a crank for it and that might be a problem for some. I do know that the Parker Sidewinder will work with the SF and am thinking of getting one before this fall. I tried cocking it while up in my climbing stand, and it can be done, but it's a little dangerous. I'd like a crank for just that reason. The bow shoots great.

Trader Jack
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-07-2009, 07:26 PM
Regular Visitor

those bows sure are cool looking

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page