Last day Ohio doe with my Parker Tornado F4 - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community
 6Likes
  • 1 Post By Laylow
  • 1 Post By dpms
  • 1 Post By OAWC
  • 1 Post By beagler
  • 1 Post By cspot
  • 1 Post By USAFRET

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-06-2017, 08:49 PM Thread Starter

Last day Ohio doe with my Parker Tornado F4

Yesterday was closing day of Ohio archery deer season, and all Ohio deer seasons by that regard.

I had one tag left, but had been bitten by bad luck with weather and finicky winds my last few times out. I even had a trespasser walk in while I had a deer in this particular meadow, something that has never happened to me before in Ohio.

Today was another day cursed by poor weather conditions. The winds gusts were breaking 20 mph and it was warm by our standards at 47 degrees going into the evening hunt. Not exactly ideal for deer movement. Regardless, I was ---- bent on giving it my all and the good news was that the wind was at least going in a favorable direction. I really wanted to go 3 for 3 on kills for each season that I've owned my Parker Tornado F4 crossbow. After all, I had killed an early season spike back in this same spot with my compound under similar circumstances. Maybe I could get lucky...

Another issue I now had to deal with was that my tree stand is now completely devoid of cover in the late season. More than once, I've had deer come out and immediately see me up there. I tried the Ghost Blind, but there isn't enough space to set it up without risking collateral noise. So, it was time to go old school: I laid right on the ground, tucked into the brush line edge, with nothing but a tanned deer hide under me. The hide serves two functions: 1) it keeps me much warmer than laying on cold, bare ground and 2) it greatly muffles the sound of crunching leaves. Combine these traits with a very low profile and I have had some insanely close encounters with oblivious deer.

Conveniently enough, an oblivious deer walked in at just over 50 yards with plenty of daylight left and the winds finally calming a bit. She was totally unaware of what I was, but it's always challenging to work a deer that is at extremely close range when you're totally exposed. I got an initial range, held the rangefinder up to avoid further movement in her presence, and shifted about 45 degrees to face her approach when she got behind a tree. She got closer and went behind another, much closer tree, which I also lasered. I had to set up quickly for the shot and do so with consideration for some small twigs that could deflect the arrow. The safety was now off. When she came out from behind the tree, she was just over 20 yards. I had an extremely narrow time window to get the shot off or she would be into the woods to my left and gone for good.

As soon as she emerged, I got my finger on the trigger, lined up the shot and fired. The impact of the arrow was so loud that I thought I might have missed! It was as hard and loud of a "THWACK" as I've ever heard from an arrow strike, to the point that it sounded more like hitting a branch or a rock. However, at impact, the deer darted back from whence she came with her tail tucked between her legs...always a good sign. I tracked a good blood trail down a hill through heavy woods and found her about 130 yards away. The shot was picture perfect and the old, reliable 125 gr. Slick Trick Magnum did its job wonderfully.

It made for an awful, steep uphill drag, but I wasn't terribly upset. This is my 7th deer on the season, a milestone that I am very happy to see come to fruition.

The entirety of the hunt was also caught on video. Definitely view the video on YouTube in full-screen and max out the resolution. It's tough on that little video camera I use to keep the action in good detail with that much clutter in the shot:

Sadly, this is likely my last Ohio deer hunt. As my military career goes, I am all but certain to move this coming Summer. It's been a fun time here, and given me three deer seasons that I won't soon forget.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-06-2017, 09:27 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

Nice hunt and doe. Thanks for the service. If you get back close to PA We'll do a hunt.
Six-Gun likes this.
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-07-2017, 10:11 AM

A great way to end the season. Thanks for sharing amd thank you for your service!
Six-Gun likes this.

I support all hunters, regardless of weapon or technique!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-07-2017, 10:25 AM Thread Starter

Thanks, guys! I really enjoyed it. For whatever reason, the last deer of the year always seems to take a long time to find and drop. This one was no exception. All of the others came relatively easy, but it took until closing day to get this doe down. Regardless, I was pleased to say the least.

My next move will likely take me back to Nebraska, and I'm really excited to get back out there. They have great deer hunting and bruisers to boot. Lots of upland bird and waterfowl hunting, too. Still, I will be doing my best to get back to PA and get something done when the time permits. I may take you up on that offer, Laylow!
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-07-2017, 10:51 AM
Diehard Outdoorsman

Congrats on the last day slickhead! Thanks for sharing and thanks for your service.
Six-Gun likes this.
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-08-2017, 09:41 AM

Congrats!
Six-Gun likes this.

Never Misses
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-08-2017, 07:33 PM

Congrats!!!
Six-Gun likes this.

Traditions only last if you pass them down to your kids!
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-08-2017, 08:13 PM

Congrats!
Six-Gun likes this.

USAF 1980-2010
OEF VET
VFW Life Member
NRA Life Member
American Legion Life Member

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page