Has anyone seen the new Ravin R9? - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community
 19Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 63 (permalink) Old 01-01-2017, 10:33 PM Thread Starter
Diehard Outdoorsman

Has anyone seen the new Ravin R9?

I've just got my first shipment of these. They don't use a rail like most crossbows. They use a nock and rest like a compound bow. There is an audible click when the arrow is seated. Only 6 inches axle to axle when cocked. 7.28 lbs ready to hunt. Great trigger. It uses a cocking winch and can be cocked and uncocked using the winch. The cam design allows for 320 rotation. Lots of technology and very well thought out design. Retail price is $1499
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_20161103_135440287_HDR_1483327668969.jpg (870.1 KB, 53 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_20161229_191240890_1483327697177.jpg (1.15 MB, 50 views)
WADMAN likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 63 (permalink) Old 01-02-2017, 08:38 AM

Not a huge fan of the proprietary nock and the rail less design potentially opens up tuning issues. Other than those, lots of innovation going on with the Ravin. At $1500, it will certainly be a niche crossbow and not for the masses.

I support all hunters, regardless of weapon or technique!
post #3 of 63 (permalink) Old 01-02-2017, 04:12 PM Thread Starter
Diehard Outdoorsman

It sure is a pleasure to carry though. For that, I can give up custom arrows and be happy to sort through a few. ( I have a feeling they will be forced to make the parts available to make custom arrows or be happy with lackluster sales) Everyone likes to tinker with arrows to find what works best for thier own style. The arrow rest is easy to tune and I don't see any big issues there other than periodic maintenance.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 63 (permalink) Old 01-02-2017, 04:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by arrowhead View Post
( I have a feeling they will be forced to make the parts available to make custom arrows or be happy with lackluster sales)
Yep. The $1500 price and the need for proprietary arrows will limit volume.

I support all hunters, regardless of weapon or technique!
post #5 of 63 (permalink) Old 01-02-2017, 08:42 PM
Frequent Contributor

While I find it rather intriguing I will echo Dpms--I DO NOT like the idea of a proprietary nock. Also the rest out front-I am kind of wondering about tuning issues. For me I currently like as little to go wrong as possible. I will also agree with the price. Some of the flag ship vertical, and crossbows are at a point many I speak with quickly shy away from bows in general in this price range due to cost. They simply cannot afford, or other obligations in their life prevents them from spending this kind of money.
I'll stick with my trusty Excalibur,, and wait to hear some feed back on the Ravin R9 as it enters into the market, and guys start to shoot it. I fully admit that the width, and the way the string rotates on the cams to give it-it's power stroke is pretty cool. I just can't get past the nock, and rest issue out front just yet. I'll be waiting to hear some feed back on this beast. Most definitely a niche bow at this point.
post #6 of 63 (permalink) Old 01-03-2017, 12:02 PM

Great for tight areas in a tree stand.
post #7 of 63 (permalink) Old 01-03-2017, 12:21 PM
Frequent Contributor

See, i'm happy with my Storm RDX. It's compact enough, well balanced, and plenty of speed and power.... And although it also runs $1500 with the accu-draw, I bought mine for $1000 without the accu-draw - new.
Now my wife on the other hand, is very interested in the R9. But I want her to test fire one before actually thinking of buying one. So we shall see.
post #8 of 63 (permalink) Old 01-07-2017, 05:35 PM

At the present time I can not see these crossbows being sold or imported into Canada.
I have had quotes of $1500.00 to $1550.00 US for the crossbow, $249.00 to $279.00
US for the crossbow press and approximately $90.00 shipping US. Add import fees,
then the killer of 36 cents to 39 cents on the dollar for the present currency exchange rate.
I have been following several archery forums where members have done lots of testing
on these crossbows and have found a few weak points, but over all, given a bit of time
these corrections will be made.
I would like to own one of these to put up against my Barnett Ghost 410 to compare accuracy.
I have the Barnett set up in a gun rest, using various levels so as not to have any torque or
canting. Set up this way, one just gently squeezes the trigger and does not in any way move
the crossbow by breathing, wearing different clothing thickness etc.
post #9 of 63 (permalink) Old 01-26-2017, 07:45 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

my local pro shop ordered one to test. I looks interesting on videos, but we will see how it shoots in real life. Truth be told, something will need to be really special for me to hang up my Parker Hurricane. PS my back up bow is excal exocet 200. Another special bow.

will hunt for food....
post #10 of 63 (permalink) Old 01-27-2017, 06:58 PM

i am just as happy with my deadly accurate deer killing $600.00 parker safari magnum i bought years ago

sticking to the OP subject i saw one of these at field and stream, the scope has increments out to 100 yards. IMO thats not realistic, i really dont believe this bow will have the required kinetic energy at that distance to kill a deer.

other than that, the price and proprietary stuff, it looks nice to many things , to much technology, just something else to go wrong in the field.

http://www.thebreastcancersite.com
go here click on the pink square, beat breast cancer

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page