What's your Favorite and Why? - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community
 2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 27 (permalink) Old 12-17-2016, 10:00 AM Thread Starter
Frequent Contributor

What's your Favorite and Why?

What's everyone's favorite crossbow and why is it your favorite? Its fps? Have you taken (killed) anything with one?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 27 (permalink) Old 12-17-2016, 10:03 AM Thread Starter
Frequent Contributor

Mine is the Horton Storm Rdx. at around 380fps. After shooting a Parker, Barnett Quad 400, and a Horton Vision, I purchased my Rdx this year and got my very first crossbow buck.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 2016 Archery deer - Steve's.jpg (468.5 KB, 19 views)
post #3 of 27 (permalink) Old 12-17-2016, 03:11 PM

I have had 11 different crossbows hanging in my shop over the past few years. I have hunted with all of them and killed deer or turkeys with many of them.

IMO, the TenPoint Vapor is my favorite of the bunch. It is solid, plenty fast, great fit and finish, narrow, self contained rope cocker, accurate, quiet, and great customer service.

My CamX Chaos is an exceptional bow as well. Built like a tank, very light weight, great ergonomics, comes with custom arrows, and my most accurate crossbow.

I support all hunters, regardless of weapon or technique!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 27 (permalink) Old 12-17-2016, 06:30 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

Shot several makes and models and read a lot of info before purchasing a ten point vapor.

Like the quality, the narrow width for tree stand hunting, crank style cocker, and double safety feature. I can shoot this crossbow both left and right handed with excellent accuracy. Price was on upper end, but I find most of the time it's less expensive to buy top of the line product than buy at bottom end and not be satisfied and then purchase another.

Just started hunting with it last year and have shot several doe and one buck thus far.

UNITED WE STAND! NRA LIFE MEMBER
post #5 of 27 (permalink) Old 12-17-2016, 07:44 PM

Lightbulb

I've used crossbows for over 20 years because of a disability. The best I think is Excalibur,I had Horton,Parker and Barnett and had problems with all of them. No cams or cables to break,I just string it up and it's ready to shoot...
6.5Swede likes this.

Hunt Safe
Jack
post #6 of 27 (permalink) Old 12-17-2016, 10:25 PM
Frequent Contributor

The Ravin R9 will cause archery season to be shortened. That's how bad it is. No rail, a legit 393 FPS and is as accurate as a rifle.

Please keep comments related to the original questions asked.

PETA hates me, but I'm okay with that......

Last edited by Hiamovi; 12-18-2016 at 12:05 PM. Reason: Didn't answer original question,edited by Hiamovi
post #7 of 27 (permalink) Old 12-17-2016, 10:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShedSeeker View Post
The Ravin R9 will cause archery season to be shortened. That's how bad it is. No rail, a legit 393 FPS and is as accurate as a rifle.
Crossbow shooting much faster have been on the market for almost a decade. On the accuracy thing, most crossbows are capable of great accuracy at 100 with the right arrows. It has been that way for a very long time. The groups you posted have been shot with boring consitancy by crossbows that have been on the market for years.

The Ravin has actually been having some accuracy issues with factory arrows, according to some early reports. The railess design brings tuning into the equation. Since it uses a special arrow, only available from Ravin, this may be a problem for them moving forward.

post #8 of 27 (permalink) Old 12-17-2016, 10:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShedSeeker View Post
The Ravin R9 will cause archery season to be shortened.
Is this your favorite crossbow? If so, why? That was what the OP was asking for, not a post meant to stir a pot that has been stirred to death over the past decade here.

post #9 of 27 (permalink) Old 12-17-2016, 11:59 PM
Frequent Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by dpms View Post
Crossbow shooting much faster have been on the market for almost a decade. On the accuracy thing, most crossbows are capable of great accuracy at 100 with the right arrows. It has been that way for a very long time. The groups you posted have been shot with boring consitancy by crossbows that have been on the market for years.

The Ravin has actually been having some accuracy issues with factory arrows, according to some early reports. The railess design brings tuning into the equation. Since it uses a special arrow, only available from Ravin, this may be a problem for them moving forward.
I shot the Ravin freehand at 50 yards and I doubt you could shoot better groups with a rifle. ( I can't anyway)
What " special " arrow are you talking about? You can use any arrows you like it just voids the warranty, The arrows are GoldTips and the only complaints I have seen are from people who make and sell custom arrows...
Its the same with my Parker Cyclone, I have always used their Red Hot arrows because if I don't like the Ravin, it voilds Parkers warranty.
Speaking of my Cyclone, I absolutely love it, but once I shot the Ravin I was sure that either the PGC will either make them illegal or this crossbow is gonna cause us to lose the extra 2 weeks that we fought for so hard to get. I'm sure you are right, there probably are other crossbows that perform as good as the Ravin, but I can't comment on those, all I can say is that the Ravin is like using a rifle in bow season.

Last edited by ShedSeeker; 12-18-2016 at 12:07 AM.
post #10 of 27 (permalink) Old 12-18-2016, 12:04 AM
Frequent Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by dpms View Post
Is this your favorite crossbow? If so, why? That was what the OP was asking for, not a post meant to stir a pot that has been stirred to death over the past decade here.
Up until I shot the Ravin, I couldn't find a crossbow that made me want to replace my Cyclone, I would have recommended that the OP check out the Cyclone as well but Parker doesnt make them any longer.

Last edited by ShedSeeker; 12-18-2016 at 12:08 AM.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page