Cold and limbs cracking - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community
 2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-09-2016, 11:53 PM Thread Starter
Frequent Contributor

Cold and limbs cracking

I have a Barnett Recruit that's had to have the limbs replaced twice since it was bought. Both times the problem happened after prolonged periods hunting in weather on the colder side and storing the crossbow in the trunk of the car while camping or staying in a cabin. Can prolonged overnight exposure to cold weather make the limbs more vulnerable? I'm setting up for this late season down here in the special regs and wondering what I can do to prevent this from happening again? It's a real drag when it happens...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-11-2016, 08:55 AM
Diehard Outdoorsman

I have a 9 year old Parker xbow. I hunt thru mid January in Montg. and Bucks. Cold has never cracked my limbs, even the few times when it was -5 or -10 below. My bow is stored in the bed of truck or in unheated garage. More than likely its the manufacturer, sad to say
nomad_archer likes this.

"Lazy people think of the easy way to do the hard stuff"
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-11-2016, 10:35 AM

Cold weather shouldn't affect the limbs at all especially at temps that are common in WPA. Guys hunt northern Canada all the time without issue. The only temperature extreme that I have heard of that you need to watch is heat. This would come from leaving it in a vehicle in the middle of the summer type heat.
ShedSeeker likes this.

Traditions only last if you pass them down to your kids!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-11-2016, 07:28 PM Thread Starter
Frequent Contributor

That is super helpful, guys. I do think it's just defective manufacturing then. I'll hunt with it in the cold then and not worry about it. Crossing fingers it holds up!
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-12-2016, 07:58 PM

My buddy had a horton x bow and while using it in the late season he brought it inside and a few hours later we heard a cracking noise that turn out to be the limbs breaking. Maybe he should of decocked the bow first. At the time Horton had a lifetime warranty but after about 6 weeks the bow was in the shop, Horton went out of business and he never did get his bow fixed.

Life Member NRA
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-13-2016, 11:01 PM Thread Starter
Frequent Contributor

Yeah, you have to discharge the arrow after a few hours. This problem always showed up right at the end of a longer sit. They say 4 hours is the threshold but maybe it's actually sooner for this xbow. Wondering how often others discharge theirs?
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-14-2016, 07:39 AM
Diehard Outdoorsman

4 hours? Barnett says to do this? I have left my Parker cocked for days at a time if I am actively hunting . I discharge it when I wont be hunting for a while, like this 2 week break now.
There are some guys that leave their bows cocked all season if they don't shoot a deer.
I would seriously not put any more money into that bow. Save it for a different one. Bow shop should be able to tell you which ones they repair the most. I have had very good luck with Parker, excellent customer service

"Lazy people think of the easy way to do the hard stuff"
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-14-2016, 10:28 AM
Frequent Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wald Jager View Post
4 hours? ... I would seriously not put any more money into that bow. Save it for a different one.
Seriously. When I go out it is never less than 4 hours. Sure seems silly having to sit in the stand, discharge and recock every 4 hours. I have never heard of such a thing.
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-18-2016, 12:33 AM Thread Starter
Frequent Contributor

It's in the instructions to discharge it that often or the warranty will be voided. It never occurred to me all crossbows weren't like that? I just followed the manual. It's extremely inconvenient and counterproductive in the field, of course. I haven't put any money into it. Barnett's replaced the limbs twice now for free. It's just inconvenient and steals time that could be spent hunting.
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-19-2016, 09:56 PM
Part of the Community

Send a message via AIM to Outdoor's Crazy Send a message via MSN to Outdoor's Crazy
I never had any problem with my old Horton crossbow (bought a tenpoint this season). I put many late season hunts under my belt where I sat all day and never had a limb crack. I normally leave my crossbow uncocked and locked in the bed of my pickup all season. I agree, if this happens again, lick your wounds and go with another manufacturer. Good luck to you!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page