Best cross bow for youth. - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-24-2016, 11:59 AM Thread Starter
Hooked on HuntingPa

Best cross bow for youth.

looking to get my son a crossbow. hes 6 now and I'm thinking with practice over the summer he can be ready to hunt next year at 7. looking for xbow recommendations with price not being a factor, and if you have any tips for hunting with a youngster. Thanks in advance.

"some might call that sky bustin, i call it optimisam"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-24-2016, 12:12 PM
Frequent Contributor

OK my suggestion is going to be one with an adjustable stock, like the one's with the AR collapsible one's
this way he can grow with it
as NO X box is going to be made for a kid that small, the problem is the distance from the grip to the trigger, even when you GET a shorter stock, that distance doesn't change, and will take time to learn and as he grows his grip will always be changing
I would also HIGHLY advice you make sure he learns to keep his fingers DOWN below the barrel of the X bow, so not to loose any fingers and that can mean, staying SUPER attentive when a deer in there and excitement is high
a X bow string when firing can take fingers right off!
I like seeing kids in the sport, but I am NOT a fan of kids this age doing the shooting, sorry don't mean to offend, just saying my thoughts, safety is a big concern to me for them, as excitement can make a kid do silly things , so be extra careful here please and best of luck to you!
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-24-2016, 12:55 PM Thread Starter
Hooked on HuntingPa

mrbb thanks for your input. you didn't offend me at all this is exactly what I was looking for. my feelings are totally on the shelf for this one. you do bring up good points on the dangers of crossbows for kids.

"some might call that sky bustin, i call it optimisam"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-25-2016, 01:07 PM

Not a fan of the youth crossbows out there. They are on the slow side and built with cheaper components to keep the cost down.

I always recommend more expensive full size crossbows with the adjustable buttstocks that the kids can grow into. Mission makes a great crossbow that is light, fast, reliable, and has an adjustable buttstock. I would not recommend their top end crossbow, the 400. It is very hard on itself. The Dagger and MXB320 and 360 are sweet crossbows.

I support all hunters, regardless of weapon or technique!
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-25-2016, 02:26 PM
Hooked on HuntingPa

Barnett Jackal. Can still be used into early teenage years until you decide to upgrade. I've had one for 4 years and would recommend them to anyone looking for a beginner/budget crossbow.
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-01-2016, 08:05 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

The PSE Fang LT is worth a look as well.

Our store- http://arrowhead-outdoors.com/
"The best warranty, is the one you never have to use"
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-29-2016, 10:44 PM
Part of the Community

The Parker Challenger is a lightweight X-Bow. My son is 8 and has been shooting it for a year. He killed his first deer with it this year. Teach him to shoot fingers down through the stock, this is how all 3 of my kids hold the bow in the stand and it prevents the change of the fingers getting taken off.
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-04-2017, 11:33 AM
dce
Sage

I bought my son a stryker 380 when he was 8.He's not a big kid and had no problems using it.It seems that most crossbows have a smaller length of pull.My suggestion is getting him one that's light,which is why I bought him the stryker.Using a rest or bipod gets old after a while and limits shot opportunities,which is why light is important.By the time they're 9 or 10 most kids can evolve away from having to use a rest but the weapon has to be on the lighter side.
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-04-2017, 06:41 PM
The Man

Check out the Parker Ambusher.
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-05-2017, 06:07 AM

I bought a Parker Challenger for my daughter when she was 7. She began hunting as mentored youth at 8, and after I felt she was accurate and ready. She harvested bucks at ages 9 and 10, including this past archery season. No complaints on the Challenger here.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page