11/5/16 Buck with video - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community
 4Likes
  • 4 Post By RacksnQuacks

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 11-07-2016, 10:07 PM Thread Starter

11/5/16 Buck with video

I would first like to state that this is my first self filmed hunt were I got a shot. I am using a Sony HDR-CX240. I also made my own camera tree arm with 1" aluminum tubing and a pan/tilt head from a trail camera strap on tree mount. This is NOT a great video like others post on here.

I had 2 doe pass in front of me around 7:30. I had another doe come in behind me about 8:00. I looked over my left shoulder and saw her and decided to turn back around because the tree would block her view of me. I thought I heard her leave and a little while later I heard a sound over my right shoulder. I turned to look and wondered what she was still doing there but to my surprise it was a buck. I'm usually selective on the bucks I shoot. I decided this year that if a smaller legal buck presented himself that I would only shoot if I could get it on video. This was around 8:30 I think, don't really remember exactly at this time. While I am trying to get the camera turned around he is fixated on something to his and my right. I hear some chasing off in the distance but know that there is no shot I can get in that direction. I looked quick to see antlers, not sure of size, chasing something. I am still looking at him and trying to get the camera around when he snort wheezes. I have never witnessed this in the woods. I've seen it on tv shows and have tried it myself as a last chance on bucks heading away but never witnessed it first hand. What a sight. Anyway, he ended up taking off after a doe I never saw with him. I ended up not seeing anything else and my back hurt so I climbed down around 12:30 and went home. I got back in the stand around 3:00. At approximately 5:15 2 does crossed in front of the stand and disappeared down a trail that is behind a tree I can't see around. At 5:45 I looked a little to my left and noticed a buck. I never heard him come in. Once his head was behind a tree, I turned on the camera and centered it where I expected the shot to be. I didn't want to zoom in and miss the shot. You'll see in the video that this was a lucky move. He ended up turning around and going back from the way he came. He stood with his head behind the tree for a good while and I thought maybe he could sense something wasn't right. I would usually let out a little mouth bleat to stop a deer but I was scared he would just take off if he was already on alert. I hit back further then I wanted and the arrow did not pass through. Can't see in the video. Not sure how but the broadhead ended up lodged in his right rear hip bone. He was nearly broadside unless the arrow hit something prior to hitting him. I climbed down in the dark about 35 minutes later and went to where I shot him. No blood. So I went to where I saw him last and started to get some blood. This atv trail is surrounded by nasty thick stuff that I doubt even the deer would want to try and get through. The blood started getting better and I was only about 20 yds. in to the track when I told myself I should back out and come back. Just then I heard a deer take off and what I thought was a crash. The trail goes to the right so I took a step as soft as I could forward to shine my light around the bend. About 15 yards away over a little bank all I can see is eyes and his head in my flashlight. I figured since he didn't take off that he was in bad shape but backed out anyway. I drove home to change out of my rubber hunting boots and get rid of everything but the essentials. I went back in about 1.5 hours later and took my Crossbow just in case I had to finish him off. I found him expired in the same spot I had last seen him. I was happy to see he was a little bigger than I thought. I have only been out archery hunting about 2 times alone since 2009 when my son started hunting. My last archery buck was in 2007. I would rather hunt with my son but I did enjoy the time I had in the field alone from 10/26 to getting him.

In the video you will see I joined together the video of the 2 evening doe and then the buck. It is hard to see him since I wasn't zoomed in. The sun had already gone down and the lower light must have affected the clarity. I could see better out of my eyes then the video looks. He will be on the left side, mid screen. His head is behind the second tree from the left. You will see him move around the 1:13 mark.

Parker Enforcer - Nap Shockwave broadheads

Attached Images
File Type: jpg 2016 buck.jpg (117.0 KB, 13 views)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 11-08-2016, 06:27 AM

Nice buck,good first video.

Bob Seger,till it shines.
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 11-08-2016, 09:33 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hiamovi View Post
Thank You. I think this filming thing may get addicting. I started doing it since all I was doing was sitting and watching my son. I thought it would be neat to get some of his hunts on video. I got his first buck kill on video last year in rifle. If there is any chance I will spook the deer I will not film it. His success is top priority.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 11-08-2016, 09:34 AM
Diehard Outdoorsman

Matthew 22:37-40
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 11-08-2016, 12:00 PM
Part of the Community

Congrats on the buck and the first video.
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 11-09-2016, 07:33 AM Thread Starter

Thanks guys. I appreciate it.
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 11-10-2016, 08:07 PM

Way to go!!

Life Memeber NRA
Life Memeber NAHC

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page