Head Shot ? - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community
 4Likes
Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 40 (permalink) Old 11-07-2016, 09:01 PM Thread Starter
Part of the Community

Head Shot ?

Have you ever taken a SUCCESSFUL head shot? That is, shot a bolt into the head/skull of a whitetail?

I had a shot today that I did not take. The only part of a doe that I could clearly see was her head. She was behind a large tree with her head & neck visible and her flank. No shot at the chest/lungs. As I was debating I guess she got bored and smelled me or ??? and zip she was gone.

I failed to shoot because I was debating about whether my bolt would penetrate her skull.

Advise and comments appreciated.

NRA Member
Former USMC - Vietnam
Retired Army - Desert Storm
Renewing hunting knowledge
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 40 (permalink) Old 11-07-2016, 09:09 PM

Wouldn't take a head shot with an arrow. Too much to go wrong as the target is small and penetration is iffy. Arrow is likely to deflect from it's original path as well.. I don't even like it with a rifle.

Traditions only last if you pass them down to your kids!
post #3 of 40 (permalink) Old 11-07-2016, 09:55 PM
Regular Visitor

I have tried a head shot twice with complete success.. Both shots were at 15 yards and I was very comfortable with my rest. The first entered the eye and was an instant kill. The second was on a doe last Friday. The deer had run under my stand and stopped at 15 yards. I settled the dot between her eyes and let if fly. Again the deer went right down. Both shots penetrated about 3 inches. I have complete confidence that given a good rest and a shot within 20 yards will hit exactly were I aim.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 40 (permalink) Old 11-07-2016, 10:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cspot View Post
Wouldn't take a head shot with an arrow. Too much to go wrong as the target is small and penetration is iffy. Arrow is likely to deflect from it's original path as well.. I don't even like it with a rifle.
I agree. Completely foolish to even attempt a shot like that. I remember a photo of a deer that was walking around a housing plan with an arrow sticking out of it's head. Just more fuel for the anti's and a reason for those in the middle to slant their opinion in the wrong direction.

Last edited by RacksnQuacks; 11-07-2016 at 11:35 PM. Reason: Spelling
post #5 of 40 (permalink) Old 11-07-2016, 10:29 PM

Saw a deer once with an arrow sticking straight out of its nose two days after bow season ended. Needless to say, it probably starved to death because I doubt if it could eat. That deterred me from ever considering a head shot.

The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants.
post #6 of 40 (permalink) Old 11-08-2016, 06:00 AM

That is not a shot anyone should ever take....with any weapon.
post #7 of 40 (permalink) Old 11-08-2016, 06:54 AM

Ethically there is no reason to take a head shot with archery gear. None.

Sadly most of my life has been wasted, but the rest I spent hunting, fishing, and trapping...
post #8 of 40 (permalink) Old 11-08-2016, 07:21 AM

Unreal that anyone would even consider a head shot. ive always believed a special archery class should be mandatory to get a archery tag....this shows why.
post #9 of 40 (permalink) Old 11-08-2016, 07:28 AM
Part of the Community

I don't think you should ever take a head shot with any weapon. I seen a deer with an attempted head shot swimming across the yough lake and it wasn't pretty. She had her entire lower jaw blown off and I am sure died of starvation or if she was lucky she ran into another hunter. I like to keep the odds in my favor when shooting and to me the largest kill area is my target. I also feel their heads move quick so it just makes it too easy for things to go bad. Also wouldn't say 3" is a deep penetration in hunting or other activities but that is another discussion.
post #10 of 40 (permalink) Old 11-08-2016, 07:40 AM
Frequent Contributor

To answer the OP's original question--NO!
Each person will, and has defined a set of ethics in the sport of hunting. The area most hunters define as the vitals where a shot takes out the lungs/heart has always been, and will remain where I make my shots. Head shots with archery tackle violate my personally defined set of ethics, and hunting rules. Our state has a very large number of hunters. Each one of those hunters has their own defined set of ethics, and goals. Sadly the mixed bag of ethics, and personal expectations of the large number of hunters can, and will have a direct effect on other hunters.
Getting back on track--HEAD SHOTS?--NO!
Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page