Excalibur IBEX string - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 11-04-2016, 04:13 PM Thread Starter
Part of the Community

Excalibur IBEX string

Need some help. I got a new string for my IBEX the new one is maybe a half inch shorter than the one I took off. Do they stretch over time the crossbow is three years old. I just didn't want to put it on without checking with people who have done it before. Thanks for any help.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 11-04-2016, 04:36 PM
The Man

They do stretch. If the new string otherwise looks correct, that is number of strands, end loops, etc., you will not hurt the bow by just stringing with the shorter string... just don't shoot the bow if you can't get the string to fall within the barrel marks.

There are marks on the barrel that the string must fit between when strung. String it with the new string and see if the string falls within the marks. If it's a bit short you can take a few twists out of it and see if you can get it in between the marks.
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 11-04-2016, 09:21 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

I just called Dawn at Excalibur customer service yesterday with a similar question. I bought an excalibur string for my matrix and when I put the new string on the bow it was a full inch behind the brace height line on my riser.
Dawn said it was no problem the string will stretch and would not be a problem.

All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing. Edmund Burke
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 11-05-2016, 07:31 AM

Question,if sighted in at full brace and it drops 1/4" from full brace how will shots be impacted?Low?If so can one inch above the brace raise speed?Would we be over taxing the bow?One will never exceed the maximum pounds of the bows limbs with in reason.The string has to go past the bottom brace during a shot.So would a shorter string increase power and speed?Think of this Excalibur older models used the length of the bow to increase draw weight,so a shorter string might do the same but with a shorter power stroke?They all used the same limbs.

Bob Seger,till it shines.
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 11-05-2016, 09:04 AM
The Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hiamovi View Post
Question,if sighted in at full brace and it drops 1/4" from full brace how will shots be impacted?Low?If so can one inch above the brace raise speed?Would we be over taxing the bow?One will never exceed the maximum pounds of the bows limbs with in reason.The string has to go past the bottom brace during a shot.So would a shorter string increase power and speed?Think of this Excalibur older models used the length of the bow to increase draw weight,so a shorter string might do the same but with a shorter power stroke?They all used the same limbs.
Since Excal's are recurves, I would think they would react just like any recurve or longbow, that is, the more the limbs are stressed the more poundage the limbs are producing. If you short draw a recurve (under the rated draw length) you produce less poundage, if you overdraw a recurve, you produce more poundage. Since the anchor point on a crossbow is fixed, a low brace height would create less stress on the limbs and less poundage/fps and would shoot low, and a high brace height would create more stress on the limbs and produce more poundage/fps and would shoot high.

Having said that, the difference would be very minimal; they say with trad bows that each inch of draw length over or under rated draw length = about 2.5 pounds.
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 11-05-2016, 09:18 PM Thread Starter
Part of the Community

Buck down Thanks for the help guys. String on sighted in this morning, 8pt down at 5:45. Great Day!!!!!
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 11-06-2016, 04:39 AM

Well done,post a pic of that bad boy.

Bob Seger,till it shines.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page