Safty won't release - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community
 2Likes
  • 2 Post By freeze

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 11-01-2016, 02:05 PM Thread Starter
Hooked on HuntingPa

Safty won't release

I have a problem hoping some one might know how to fix.
I have a Barnett Brotherhood Bone collector that I bought new this past
August.
After coming home I went to shoot my bow into my target to unload it but my safety is or was stuck on and I could not shoot it. After a closer look I was able to slip a thin stiff wire up under the black plastic safety bar and then I could move the safety forward and abled me to discharge the bow.
Has any one else had this problem ? Would any one have a schematic that they can post of the internal action?
As it is right now, I can finish out the season as it is but I would like to figure what happened and repair it.

Thanks in advance,
George

Taxidermist

On the borders of Tioga, Lycoming, and Bradford
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 11-01-2016, 03:46 PM

My dad's barnett will do that if the bolt is not fully seated back. I believe it is an anti dry fire "feature". Next time that happens try taking the bolt out and and re-inserting it or just make sure it is fully seated against the string.
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 11-01-2016, 04:41 PM

I suspect the arrow was not seated correctly. Barnett safety's and anti dry fires are very finicky to the arrow being perfectly seated.

I support all hunters, regardless of weapon or technique!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 11-01-2016, 08:02 PM Thread Starter
Hooked on HuntingPa

Thanks folks for the replies. Both sound logical, I haven't noticed when the bow was cocked and the arrow inserted. I'll check it out tomorrow in the day light that way I can discharge it again, I just got back in after dark and discharged the bow already.
By the way, I got skunked again this evening, the dang wind shifted on me 40 minutes before quitting time and did not see a critter. Tomorrow's another day.
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 11-02-2016, 07:02 AM

I believe they solved your problem,just happened to me last night,mine is a Barnett also.That is part of the anti-dryfire safety thing.
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 11-02-2016, 01:36 PM Thread Starter
Hooked on HuntingPa

That was exactly what the problem was, I knew it had a dry fire prevention mechanism but not knowing how and where exactly where it was and how it works it had me baffled. When I cocked the bow and inserted the bolt I moved the bolt back and forth while sliding the safety on and off and then I caught on quick. Man, Barnett really don't leave a lot of lee way, the bolt either has to be on or not, just a 1/16 off of that jasper and the bow will not discharge and for a good reason I might add.
Thanks again folks, my mind or what's left of it is at ease.
octagon and nomad_archer like this.

Taxidermist

On the borders of Tioga, Lycoming, and Bradford
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 11-06-2016, 08:42 AM
Part of the Community

I had that problem with my Ten Point and brought to the authorized pro shop for service. They phoned me the next day and explained that the safety device must be replaced at the factory in Ohio. The shop kindly shipped the crossbow to Ten Point. The device was replaced at no cost but I did have to pay for shipping. Turn around time was about a week from start to finish. I'm satisfied with the repair and the speedy service.

I hope that your safety device does not have to be replaced as this is prime hunting time!

TR

Fire Up the Grill! Hunting is not Catch and Release!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page