Ty's first archery buck - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community
 2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 19 (permalink) Old 10-30-2016, 09:37 PM Thread Starter

Ty's first archery buck

We set up a 2 man ladder stand on Sunday the 22nd. in a spot I thought would produce. Tuesday was going to be the first evening we could get out. Also the first time this year. Unfortunately my son had an eye appointment that neither of us remembered about until Monday night. I went out alone Tuesday evening. The first and only deer I saw was what I thought was a 6 point at 5:00. He just worked his way through browsing and I filmed him for about 15 minutes. I never watched the footage to verify the size. I was hoping he would be back Wednesday for my son. Wednesday I left work early and we were in the stand by 4:00. At 5:00 2 doe came in behind us and I was pinned looking that way in a stare down. My son tapped my leg and whispered buck out in front. I couldn't move. The buck never stepped out from the thick stuff and disappeared. There are some 25-30 yard lanes surrounded by thick stuff that you can't even see through. Finally the 2 doe passed right under the stand and disappeared. I told my son I would try some tending grunts. About 10 minutes later the buck appeared again in the same spot and then disappeared again. (Not sure that my calling brought him in. Just stating what happened.) Shortly after he disappeared we heard antlers clashing together. A short time after the sounds stopped I thought I heard something behind us. I slowly turned to look back and saw the top of a smaller tree about 10-12' tall swaying and thrashing but I couldn't see the deer. This is great but in the worst possible location for a few reasons. The tree the stand is against is about 3' in diameter. The unseen buck is over my right shoulder and my son is to my left. The tree is too wide for him to shoot from his side. Least of all I wanted to film it but my camera was facing forward and I wasn't risking him a buck by adding more movement. The path right next to the tree he is attacking is a 90 degree quad trail and up a slope about 25 yds. away. He can go straight through a shooting lane or head directly at us. I told my son he had no choice but to stand up now and that he would have to lean over me to shoot. The tree was big enough to block most of the movement. I crouched down as low as my harness would allow and kept looking that way. I was looking under the rear rail. My son said he saw the buck but I still hadn't. It finally stepped out and stopped, quartering to us but it was still a 50/50 chance of which way it was going to go. It seemed like forever. He took a step to the left and offered a shot. With the overhanging foliage one more step meant it was over and any chance at his vitals would disappear. My son took the shot and the buck whirled and took off. My buddy pulled him out with his quad and small trailer. Very little dragging necessary. Sorry for the length but I like reading other members detailed stories. I picture myself being there with them.

Parker Enforcer
Nap Shockwave Broadheads

Hungry Horse and SlickShot like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 (permalink) Old 10-30-2016, 09:48 PM
New Arrival

Re: Ty's first archery buck

Great buck and story. Congrats to you and your son!

Hunting is an instinct
post #3 of 19 (permalink) Old 10-30-2016, 10:24 PM
Frequent Contributor

Congratulations to him!!! I like to read the stories also and I don't even archery hunt... great story.... I can only imagine the adrenaline

Dont complain........Hunt harder!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 19 (permalink) Old 10-30-2016, 10:24 PM
Hooked on HuntingPa

Congrats

Sniper 370 / victory X bolts / shockwave 100grn / KI lumix with speedring (mine)
Parker Tornado (sons)
post #5 of 19 (permalink) Old 10-30-2016, 10:30 PM

Superb! Love reading these stories. Thanks for sharing. Nice bases on that buck.

I support all hunters, regardless of weapon or technique!
post #6 of 19 (permalink) Old 10-30-2016, 10:53 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

Congrats to the young gentleman!
post #7 of 19 (permalink) Old 10-30-2016, 10:59 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

Great story and buck .

Congrats to the young hunter and dad.

Thanks for sharing.

UNITED WE STAND! NRA LIFE MEMBER
post #8 of 19 (permalink) Old 10-30-2016, 11:33 PM

Way to go! Congrats!!!

Traditions only last if you pass them down to your kids!
post #9 of 19 (permalink) Old 10-31-2016, 12:16 AM
The Man

Congrats
post #10 of 19 (permalink) Old 11-01-2016, 08:18 AM
Frequent Contributor

Outstanding! Congratulations to the young man!

Quarry mine, blessed am I
In the luck of the chase.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page