Barnett Quad Edge Extreme, reviews/thoughts - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-30-2016, 06:02 PM Thread Starter
Diehard Outdoorsman

Barnett Quad Edge Extreme, reviews/thoughts

Looking for a crossbow package to get my son and daughter into the mentored youth archery hunt this year.
Anyone have or have used the Barnett Quad Edge Extreme? Dunham's has a package on sale now for $369.99.
Seems to be a better bow for the $ than the Recruit although it may be a little heavy for them. We will be hunting where rests will always be available. My son is 8 and my daughter is 10. They were both driving tacks at 25 yards with my cousin's daughters crossbow this past summer so handling it isn't the biggest issue. (I think it was a Recruit but I am not positive)

Suburban redneck.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-30-2016, 07:57 PM

Re: Barnett Quad Edge Extreme, reviews/thoughts

I had the quad 400. Not the exact same thing, but I can tell you what I know. It was fast and accurate. It was also loud and the scope was absolute garbage. I went to take a few shots to double check everything before I headed out after traveling with it. Scope lenses blew out of it. I bought it because I had shoulder surgery and still needed to out meat in the freezer. You get what you pay for. Will it kill a deer? yes, but get a more reliable optic.

"The good that men do live on long after they're gone"
USAF AD 2006-Til they make me leave.
2B and 2D
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-30-2016, 08:00 PM

I own a Barnett Recruit and Vengeance. Both have been good to me. I use the Recruit for bowfishing and it has a lot of shots on it. I don't have any experience with the Quad but I would certainly look at upgrading the optics if you buy it. Barnett optics are not very good.

I support all hunters, regardless of weapon or technique!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-31-2016, 01:34 AM

I brought the Barnett Quad last fall to see if I would like using a crossbow. I intend on upgrading but in-spite of the neg reviews i was not disappointed with the Quad.
I figured even if I didn't like it it would be something to take out back and let the grand-kids shoot.

I have a little over 500 into the bow counting buying a case, extra bolts, Grim Reaper broad-heads and a Barnett cocking rope.

It took about 15 min to assemble the bow, make sure you use Loc-tite on the bolt that attaches the limb to the stock, it has a tendency to loosen after extended shooting.
I had the option of a 4X or red dot scope, I took the 4X. The optics are not great but they do the job. What you see is what you hit. Mine will hold a 2" group off a mono pod at 40 yards. It took about 10 shots to zero the bow even with the stock scope. The Barnett has a 5 year warranty.

It is loud, but fast and hard hitting. I find it has the same accuracy shot after shot using the cocking rope, but not as consistent when hand pulled. It also has option for a self contained crank system but I did not get that.
For a beginner or entry level it is fine.
Good Luck

My ability to remember lyrics from songs of the 60's far exceed my ability to remember why I walked into the kitchen
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 08-31-2016, 01:04 PM Thread Starter
Diehard Outdoorsman

Thanks for the reviews guys. The pkg. they have for $369.99 seems like a decent deal and for the amount of overall shooting we will do and hunting, the optics on it will probably be fine (unless they actually break).

They are both hounding me about hunting so I need to get them into the archery season, for sure, and this will be the avenue for them at their age. Just hope we can find some time to get out there with all their other sports and activities.

Dunhams' has their 18' double ladder stand on sale for $89 too and I will be picking one of them up and a youth harness, as well. You need the coupon to get the extra $ off their deals though.

Suburban redneck.
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-07-2016, 11:56 AM
Part of the Community

I also got my son started with the Quad 400 from Amazon. Paid 318 shipped June last year. It is exactly ehat they say, fast, loud, powerful, accurate and in need of new optics and a sling.

That being said my 12 year old son loves shooting it and got him the opportunity at a mature doe in the early season.

Red dot broke twice before they said they'd ship me a 4x. Can't complain get what you pay for.

He can't wait to get at it again this year. My 6 year old is itching but still a little small. Starting him with a red Ryder.
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-07-2016, 07:26 PM Thread Starter
Diehard Outdoorsman

Ended up getting the Quad edge extreme last week. Took me all of 10 minutes to site it in and start damaging bolts at 25 yards. Had to buy 4 more today.
It came with the 4x Barnett scope. I can tell it isn't "quality" but if I can keep it tight, it should do ok. I only snugged tightened (but a pretty good tighten with a large screwdriver) the scope mount heads on the rail and after two shots, they were loose. I really got on them after that and they stayed put after more than 2 dozen shots. One problem I had was lining up the quiver mount bolt. I don't like how it is threaded in the quiver mount and then into the rail. I missed the rail hole and dug into the aluminum rail a couple times (tough to line it up). It is loosening on me now after several shots. I'll just have to make sure to remove the quiver before we get set up in the woods, just like I do with my bow.

Suburban redneck.
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-08-2016, 12:17 AM
Frequent Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by justgrad25
I only snugged tightened (but a pretty good tighten with a large screwdriver) the scope mount heads on the rail and after two shots, they were loose. I really got on them after that and they stayed put after more than 2 dozen shots. ...One problem I had was lining up the quiver mount bolt. It is loosening on me now after several shots.
Once you get the scope mounted - loosen one screw. Put on some Blue Loctite. Tighten back down and do the same with the other one. Had the same issue with my TenPoint. After using the Loctite it has not gotten loose and it has been 10 years plus.
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-12-2016, 10:44 PM
The Man

A Archery salesman at the shop the other day was tellin a potential customer who was askin him about a Barnett XBOW that they have the highest return rate and are the bottom of the barrel on cust.support.
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-17-2016, 12:08 PM
Part of the Community

I'm sure its return rate is proportional to volume of sales.

The bow itself seems fine. I feel like I got my $ worth. I didnt by a $1k bow.

I had to get the red dot scope replaced twice before they sent me a 4x. The customer service was good. They understood the issue and worked to the best of their ability to correct the issue.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page