Broadhead Suggestions? - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 21 (permalink) Old 08-07-2016, 05:48 PM Thread Starter
Diehard Outdoorsman

Broadhead Suggestions?

I shoot a Mission MXB-360 that shoots my 22" bolts and 100 grain heads at about 352 feet per second. This thing is very accurate with that set up. I've been shooting G5-T3 mechanical broadheads out of it, but have not been really happy with their durability, performance on game or the fact that I have a hard time keeping the blades from deploying under very slight pressure while pushing them into the foam lined cover of my quiver.

I'm thinking about switching to another head. The issue is that due to the design of the X-bow there is a recessed area around where the broadhead rests when cocked that limits me to a 1-1/16" un-deployed blade diameter. I could switch to 24" bolts and use a fixed head or stay with 22" bolts and mechanicals. I'm never been much of a fan of mechanicals and got away from them when I shot a vertical bow. However, when I switched to the crossbow I was concerned about accuracy of fixed heads shooting at the speeds I'm shooting and after reading reviews I went with the G5-T3's. As I said above I've not been overly impressed with their performance.

I've been looking at the new Rage's (2" cutting diameter) with the shock collars. I've heard good things about Shwackers too. Any thoughts or suggestions would be appreciated.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 21 (permalink) Old 08-07-2016, 07:27 PM
Hooked on HuntingPa

Re: Broadhead Suggestions?

I like slick trick 100 gr 1 inch diameter four blade, Very accurate shooting 350 fps from my cb.

Good luck, Stant
post #3 of 21 (permalink) Old 08-08-2016, 06:21 PM

Yeah, the Mission bows have the funky cutout up front which makes broadhead selection more challenging for sure.

I currently shoot Swhackers out of mine and other bows and have had great luck with them. I order my arrows with loose inserts or with Clean Shot Archery Lock N Load inserts. The lock and loads do not use adhesive and they can be loosened and turned for broadhead aliignment issues.

I support all hunters, regardless of weapon or technique!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 21 (permalink) Old 08-08-2016, 11:20 PM Thread Starter
Diehard Outdoorsman

Quote:
Originally Posted by dpms
Yeah, the Mission bows have the funky cutout up front which makes broadhead selection more challenging for sure.

I currently shoot Swhackers out of mine and other bows and have had great luck with them. I order my arrows with loose inserts or with Clean Shot Archery Lock N Load inserts. The lock and loads do not use adhesive and they can be loosened and turned for broadhead aliignment issues.
What is the undeployed diameter of the Swhackers?
post #5 of 21 (permalink) Old 08-09-2016, 12:49 AM

The new 3 blade is 3/4 inch. The original 2 blade is 1 inch. The 3 blade may just clear the cutout without having to align them? I know the original 2 blades have to be adjusted to clear. I have only shot the 2 blades from my Mission.

post #6 of 21 (permalink) Old 08-09-2016, 09:04 PM Thread Starter
Diehard Outdoorsman

Quote:
The new 3 blade is 3/4 inch. The original 2 blade is 1 inch. The 3 blade may just clear the cutout without having to align them? I know the original 2 blades have to be adjusted to clear. I have only shot the 2 blades from my Mission.
Have you shot the three blades from another X-bow? How have they performed? I like the idea of a three blade head as opposed to a two blade.
post #7 of 21 (permalink) Old 08-09-2016, 09:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WexfordBowhunter
Have you shot the three blades from another X-bow? How have they performed? I like the idea of a three blade head as opposed to a two blade.
Yep. I have killed a doe and a gobbler with the 3 blade from two different crossbows. The come with a practice head too. This is the blood trail from the doe I shot last fall with the 3 blade. It was pretty easy to follow.

post #8 of 21 (permalink) Old 08-10-2016, 03:03 PM
Part of the Community

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by WexfordBowhunter
Yep. I have killed a doe and a gobbler with the 3 blade from two different crossbows. The come with a practice head too. This is the blood trail from the doe I shot last fall with the 3 blade. It was pretty easy to follow.
I don't see any blood on the ground
What did you do? Shoot the doe while it was roosting in a tree?

Keep your Powder dry and your Musket well oiled.
NRA Lifetime Patron Member
post #9 of 21 (permalink) Old 08-10-2016, 03:22 PM
Banned

Look on the right side of tree.
Leading away from tree.
post #10 of 21 (permalink) Old 08-10-2016, 09:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhinoguy
Look on the right side of tree.
Leading away from tree.
Yep. She must have brushed up against the tree during her death dash. There is a blood trail just to the right of the tree.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page