expandable broadhead question.... - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 21 (permalink) Old 06-26-2016, 02:24 PM Thread Starter
The Man

expandable broadhead question....

I recently bought my first crossbow. I picked up a used Tenpoint Titan which appears to be in excellent condition for $250. I've also decided to use expandable broadheads for the first time ever. I know they are SUPPOSED to fly like field points, but do they? Not looking for a debate on brands; I decided to buy some Rage 100grn crossbow heads which come with a practice tip. Will I need to shoot the broadheads too, and should I use a field point target or a broadhead target?

If you're having trouble hunting for deer,
don't wish things were easier;
wish you were smarter.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 21 (permalink) Old 06-26-2016, 02:56 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

Re: expandable broadhead question....

I would sight in with the practice head but before you hunt with them I'd shoot the actual broad heads. I'd use a broad head target but I believe you'll probably ruin the blades on the broad head since most are fairly thin. Mechanical heads look good but I had trouble with them opening up en route to the target so I went back to fixed heads. Good luck and keep your fingers below the string.
post #3 of 21 (permalink) Old 06-26-2016, 03:50 PM
The Man

I always buy at least 2 pkgs when I decide on a broad head
That way I can practice with at least one and have enough virgin heads for my liking.

Your spot I NEVER go back
My spot I expect the same
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 21 (permalink) Old 06-26-2016, 05:03 PM

Some will fly like field points and some will not. I great flying head out of one bow may not fly so well out of another. I have found that the practice heads are usually pretty close to the hunting heads but I always take a few shots with the hunting heads to be sure.

I support all hunters, regardless of weapon or technique!
post #5 of 21 (permalink) Old 06-26-2016, 07:15 PM
Frequent Contributor

My dad uses the Rage 2 blades out of his Parker Tornado and the practice tip flies just like a field point. He has not shot the broadhead into a target since I sheared a blade off of 1 of mine shooting into a Block with my Mathews. I think you will be fine using the practice tips.
post #6 of 21 (permalink) Old 06-27-2016, 02:37 AM

i use the NAP spitfire 3 blade out of my parker crossbow.

they fly like field points, have always opened with out fail and are accurate.

just my opinion. i also shoot the practice head exclusively for practice. i found out in the beginning that the broadhead will fly the same.

http://www.thebreastcancersite.com
go here click on the pink square, beat breast cancer
post #7 of 21 (permalink) Old 06-27-2016, 02:25 PM
Frequent Contributor

First and foremost a little bit about my equipment. I am using an Excalibur Matrix 380. I use both Slick Trick Magnum 125's and mainly Rage Extreme 125 crossbow heads with the shock collars.
Here is my thoughts on things with your crossbow:
#1-Make sure everything is tuned to manufacturer specs. prior to beginning your shooting.
#2-I always figure that since I do not hunt with target tips I do not practice with them.
#3-I make sure my arrows are in great shape and screw a Rage practice head on and shoot and have adjusted my scope accordingly to get things drilling the bulls eye at 20-50 yards bench shooting.
#4-I have purchased multiple packs of heads to have plenty since I love these. Plus you get a practice head in each pack.
#5-Once I am satisfied with flight and accuracy I sacrifice two broad heads. I shoot these into a broad head target to make VERY sure they are flying and hitting exactly where and how I want them to.
I also WILL NOT debate broad head choices. What I can and will do is to share with you what I use and my results.
Since Rage has went to the shock collars and as long as the user correctly uses them aligning the shock collars I have had absolutely great results using them. I have taken several deer using them and none make it far. Blood trails that a man that is darn near legally blind could follow. Absolutely huge entry and exit wounds. I can say without ANY bull crap that while using these heads I have literally dropped at least two different deer in their tracks using them. For me I plan on continuing to use these heads as I have had NO failures such as opening in flight, No failures such as not opening. I have had nothing but great luck with them and highly recommend them to others seeking a mechanical head. I love my Slick Tricks but I also love the Rage Extreme 125 crossbow with shock collar heads for deer. Absolutely devastating head on whitetails.
post #8 of 21 (permalink) Old 06-27-2016, 04:07 PM
dce
Sage

I can't say how a rage practice blade flies but I can attest that a muzzy with practice blades can certainly fly differently than one with regular blades when shot from an untuned compound.I'm not a crossbow expert but I did buy one for my son and his slicktricks shot exactly the same as his field points.I make him take a shot or two with his broadheads every time he practices just like I do with my compound.I definitely wouldn't assume any BH will fly the same as a field point so you should always regularly shoot one.All it takes is a little bit of string stretch to through the tuning off and I assume that's the same with a crossbow.
post #9 of 21 (permalink) Old 06-28-2016, 11:01 AM
Frequent Contributor

OK--just to satisfy things--last night I put a new string on my Matrix and wanted to play so I screwed two Rage practice heads on and two real Rage crossbow 125 extremes on--shot at 20, 30 and 40 yards. They are impacting pretty much exactly the same. Hope this helps. Man--they will wreck a decent broadhead target pretty quick--Ha Ha. I've been using a Rinehart made for this but--I did a good bit of shooting already into it. Broadheads will eat up a target at a fast pace.
post #10 of 21 (permalink) Old 06-28-2016, 11:11 AM
tdd
Super Moderator

I use Rage Hypodermics (with a compound), and I have used Rage 3-blade in the past. The shock collar change in the Rage heads is a good one, and they shouldn't give any trouble with premature blade deployment.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page