New Cross Bows - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 21 (permalink) Old 05-17-2016, 07:38 PM Thread Starter
Diehard Outdoorsman

New Cross Bows

got my Basspro Archery catalog in the mail today. seems like everyone has a reverse draw in their line now. .. how are they holding up on the daily grind of use..are Do they have limb/cam breakage as well? Some say on here they are the cats meow .
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 21 (permalink) Old 05-18-2016, 12:41 AM

Re: New Cross Bows

There does not seem to be any inherent issues with limbs on reverse draw bows. Only issue is a bit faster center serving wear and separation because of the very acute string angle when cocked.

I currently have 3 reverse draws in my stable and I like them very much.

I support all hunters, regardless of weapon or technique!
post #3 of 21 (permalink) Old 05-18-2016, 12:46 PM
Frequent Contributor

I agree with dpms--no real issues other than center servings. Over all there are some really great options out there in the market place right now. The reverse draw seems to be very popular. Me--I like my Excaliburs. I love my Matrix 380 but have been eye balling some of the reverse draws out there. I really like the Scorpyds but am very satisfied with my current Excalibur. No real issues I can't handle myself as far as tuning, repair and such.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 21 (permalink) Old 05-19-2016, 07:22 PM Thread Starter
Diehard Outdoorsman

I was curious.. I don't have the option of owning several cross bows.. I currently love my 1st gen Parker Tornado. Love the stock.. a bite front heavy but amazingly accurate @ 165 lbs. reason I asked I've heard the reverse draw are center balanced well.. How loud are they? Do they cock easily?
post #5 of 21 (permalink) Old 05-19-2016, 08:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NiceRack!
How loud are they? Do they cock easily?
Not much quieter than many conventional limbs but vibration is much reduced due to the parallel limbs.

The Barnett Vengeance and Scorpyd both have a very long power stroke so you run out of room at the end of the stroke. Some struggle with this. The Bear has a tad shorter power stroke so it cocks a bit easier. The Horton Storm and TenPoint Nitro are the easiest to cock of all of them, IMO.

post #6 of 21 (permalink) Old 05-21-2016, 01:51 PM
Hooked on HuntingPa

Quote:
Originally Posted by dpms
There does not seem to be any inherent issues with limbs on reverse draw bows. Only issue is a bit faster center serving wear and separation because of the very acute string angle when cocked.
How often do you replace the center serving? More often than the "every other year" of a compound bow? Based on time or number of shots?

(I'm considering taking a look at the Barnett Vengeance 2 -- if I can ever find one in a store! -- but not sold just yet on paying big bucks for a crossbow...)
post #7 of 21 (permalink) Old 05-21-2016, 02:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by UncleRev
How often do you replace the center serving? More often than the "every other year" of a compound bow? Based on time or number of shots?
Really depends on the bow, string angle, quality of the serving and down pressure on the rail. Some bows can get a couple hundred shots before the center serving needs replaced. Others can go over a thousand.

Quote:
(I'm considering taking a look at the Barnett Vengeance 2 -- if I can ever find one in a store! -- but not sold just yet on paying big bucks for a crossbow...)
Look at the Horton Storm as well with Dead Sledd cocking option. Better bow, IMO.

post #8 of 21 (permalink) Old 05-22-2016, 06:32 PM
Frequent Contributor

Yep dpms, I'm picking up my Horton Storm on Thursday. I loved my Horton Vision, but just lacked the speed and power that I wanted. So after looking at a few models ( and talking to my local archery shop ) I chose the Storm Rdx. Besides, my local archery shop told me to stay clear of the Barnett's..... All he'd say is that he'll never work on another one of them ( no idea why ).
post #9 of 21 (permalink) Old 05-22-2016, 10:25 PM
Hooked on HuntingPa

Quote:
Originally Posted by Majik Man
Yep dpms, I'm picking up my Horton Storm on Thursday.
2016 version?

Would you let us know what you think of it? I've read some stuff on the 'net that complains about the cams and balance, and how well the manual cocking works, and accuracy (although precision seems great). This might have been last year's model, though...

Thanks!
post #10 of 21 (permalink) Old 05-22-2016, 11:39 PM

I have a 2016 Storm. Great shooter and no issues. A little heavy, though.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page