extracting deer from the woods - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old 02-26-2016, 06:15 PM Thread Starter
Regular Visitor

extracting deer from the woods

I hunt in a suburban/urban area and my hunting area is surrounded by roads with some busy traffic, i'm trying to find a way, if I shoot a deer , to get it out of the woods and into my car without freaking the neighbors out, from the tree line to my car is maybe 10- 20 yds. any advice would be helpful
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old 02-26-2016, 06:44 PM

Re: extracting deer from the woods

That is one thing I hate about hunting urban areas. I don't like it when others even know I am hunting in areas like this. Getting a deer out can cause a scene and draw some attention to where you may be hunting.

I have left deer till dark them come back and make a run for it. Even later on in the evening after traffic dies down. Many years ago I had no choice but to get a deer out in daylight quite a good distance along a road. I used a deer cart, cut off its legs, and covered it up with a tarp. I wore street clothes as well.

I support all hunters, regardless of weapon or technique!
post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old 02-26-2016, 06:59 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

Process it right where it lays. You can EASILY bring out half a deer in an enclosed 30-35lb backpack. I have none of these concerns but for many years I process them right where they fall and bring them out in (2) 30-35lb 5 gal buckets. Quick, easy, and clean. First trip bring out all your hunting equipment and change clothes. Return trip take backpack, 2 knives, sharpening steel, packable bone saw, a couple small plastic bags for liver and heart, a small free harbor freight tarp is nice too for putting the quarters down on if you are on dirty ground. For me they just go right in the bucket.

Stand up and be counted, join an outdoor sports organization
Life NRA,Life PTA,Annual SCI
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old 02-27-2016, 12:20 AM
The Man

Just drag it out of there with a smile on your face. No reason to feel any shame or embarrassment if you're not doing anything illegal.
Now if you're worried about revealing a honey hole to other hunters I would hide it under leaves and brush and come back and get it around 10:00 or 11:00 at night. If it's warm out pack some ice in the chest cavity and hind quarter.

Darton DS-3800
Public Land Hunter
post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old 02-27-2016, 10:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by steelhead125
Just drag it out of there with a smile on your face. No reason to feel any shame or embarrassment if you're not doing anything illegal.
I don't think it is a matter of shame or embarrassment. I can't speak for the other member here, but for me, I often hunt in "hostile" environments. Meaning, many of the folks in the area don't care for hunters or our sport. Property can be damaged, vehicles scratched, cops constantly called, harassment etc.....

It is just better to try not to be noticed.

I support all hunters, regardless of weapon or technique!
post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old 02-27-2016, 11:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dpms
Quote:
Originally Posted by steelhead125
I don't think it is a matter of shame or embarrassment. I can't speak for the other member here, but for me, I often hunt in "hostile" environments. Meaning, many of the folks in the area don't care for hunters or our sport. Property can be damaged, vehicles scratched, cops constantly called, harassment etc.....

It is just better to try not to be noticed.
Another scenario you can run into is this. You have permission to hunt a piece of property. Their neighbor sees you dragging a deer out and is appalled. Maybe they call the local law enforcement or the PGC. They also complain to the neighbor that allowed you to hunt. The original landowner may decide that they don't want the hassle so now you don't have a place to hunt. In some environments being invisible is the best way to go.

Traditions only last if you pass them down to your kids!
post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old 02-27-2016, 11:19 AM
The Man

Guess I never had a bad experience like that but at the same I don't hunt residential areas either. It's a shame that people act like that.

Darton DS-3800
Public Land Hunter
post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old 02-27-2016, 05:54 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

Those of us who hunt in suburban areas have to be really careful. I try to think of myself as an ambassador for the sport and try to be sensitive to those around me who find the idea of killing something to be a completely foreign concept. I wish I didn't have to worry about that, but I do. I've had the occasion to explain my purpose in hunting in a deer management program, and I've frankly been very well received. That being said, I've never had to make that explanation while dragging a deer out of the woods or loading it in my truck. Not sure how that would play out.
post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old 02-27-2016, 06:45 PM
The Man

I too was confused with this question wonderin what,s the big deal till I read on.Why worry about harassment or damage to your vehicle when you got the deer and are leaving?
post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old 02-27-2016, 07:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by good ole boy
I too was confused with this question wonderin what,s the big deal till I read on.Why worry about harassment or damage to your vehicle when you got the deer and are leaving?
you might want to go back there someday
there is a old saying " out of sight out of mind " sometimes it is best NOT to be noticed even when doing something 100% legal

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page