RAGE....??? - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 25 (permalink) Old 12-22-2010, 08:37 PM Thread Starter
Frequent Contributor

RAGE....???

So today and went and was talking to a couple bow shop techs. They all told me that Rage broadheads are no good on a crossbow?? They said they premature open..Then I look at rages website and it says they are perfect for crossbows? Do any of you shoot em?

Aim small miss small
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 25 (permalink) Old 12-22-2010, 09:23 PM

Re: RAGE....???

Arrowhead was having them opening up and hitting the foot stirrup when the bow was fired.

I support all hunters, regardless of weapon or technique!
post #3 of 25 (permalink) Old 12-22-2010, 10:04 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

I had problems with them on the high end bows. I didn't really do any testing with them at slower speeds.

I had so many requests to stock them after last season, that I finally gave in and got some in the store. After this season and all the complaints, I doubt that I'll be stocking them for next season.

They are a love-hate thing. The guys that love them, love them. The guys that hate them, hate them.

We had two deer shot with them this season that weren't recovered until days later. One with a compound and one with a crossbow. Both men were experienced at tracking and have killed numerous deer with archery equipment.

I continue to test various expandables. The only one I like so far is the Wasp Jak-Hammer SST. We use one of the O-rings and two dental bands to hold them from opening. They fly really well.

I subscribe to the theory that a fixed blade is better. Why add something mechanical to something that must be depended upon to perform...without fail? Mechanical objects fail. That being said, I won't give up testing expandables.

Our store- http://arrowhead-outdoors.com/
"The best warranty, is the one you never have to use"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 25 (permalink) Old 12-23-2010, 01:14 AM
Hooked on HuntingPa

We have been shooting them out of the parker Enforcers and have had zero problems with them yet. Between myself, my son and my cousins wife we killed 6 deer with them,including a 100% gut hit and the furthest recovery was 100 yds. all but the gut shot were less then 50.

I have quite a few aquaintences shooting them out of their crossbows and have not had any complaints yet. One thing about them though is you have to pay attention that the blades are secure in the oring when you put them into the crossbow. If they are not I could see them not flying correctly.
post #5 of 25 (permalink) Old 12-23-2010, 04:11 AM
Diehard Outdoorsman

I used them this season without any problems. Will I use them next season? I am still questionalbe. I shot by buck at maybe 10 yards from the ground and had complete pass through and a 20 foot recovery. Massive damage to heart and lungs. But I was not impressed with the entrance and exit hole damage. Both small holes. The pic below is the exit hole. The entrance hole was a tad smaller. I had the exact same results on a doe at 30 yards. I am shooting a Parker Hurricane

The whole secret of the study of nature

lies in learning how to use one's eyes
post #6 of 25 (permalink) Old 12-23-2010, 02:18 PM
Frequent Contributor

thrillbilly. 2 or 3 blade?
post #7 of 25 (permalink) Old 12-23-2010, 02:39 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

Thats the two blade rage 2

The whole secret of the study of nature

lies in learning how to use one's eyes
post #8 of 25 (permalink) Old 12-23-2010, 03:18 PM
Regular Visitor

Send a message via Yahoo to JusWannaHunt

Same results here with 3-blade Rages. 5 for 5 over last two seasons with a Excalibur Vortex. Just make sure the o-ring is in good shape after a hit or replace it. Never had one go more than 60 yards and normally fell within sight.

"Can't wait to get up and do it again"
post #9 of 25 (permalink) Old 12-23-2010, 03:57 PM

Was talking to Bob at New Archery Products. We work with NAP on some Laser Welding of their Fixed BroadHeads.

Anyway Bob told me they are coming out with a Crossbow only Broad Head. Mechanical. That will leave a 4" wound.

Look for the NAP Spitfire FOC to be on the Market Shortly.

BTW I repeatedly had the Rage Broad Heads prematurely opening just sitting idle in my rest. Obviously I bumped them or something

I was always finding myself pinching the blades down in my Compound.

Personally I would not use them in a X-Bow
post #10 of 25 (permalink) Old 12-23-2010, 09:01 PM
dce
Sage

I use fixed blades exclusively.I get to kill alot of deer and UNFORTUNATELY I GET TO RECOVER ALOT OF WOUNDED DEER because I'm on a committee that goes out and finds them.I can say this from alot of experience seeing alot of deer wounded and alot recovered from every BH out there.The size of the BH doesn't mean anything.Shot placement followed by penetration and the ability of the BH to stay together is what matters.I've only had one of the last 37 deer that I've killed run out of sight and that was a gut shot buck that I recovered the next morning.Common sense and patience is what recovers poorly hit deer,not throwing an axe through an animal.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page