The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

Life expectancy of a crossbow? ( Esp. the limbs)

8K views 21 replies 15 participants last post by  redgreen 
#1 ·
My Parker Cyclone is now 5 yrs old and is by far my favorite weapon that I have ever owned. It has a lifetime warranty but since Parker stopped making them a few years ago Im worried that if something like one of the limbs breaks I won't be able to get it fixed despite the warranty because of lack of replacement parts. I usually replaced my compounds every 3-4 years but crossbows are a completely different animal. My question is how many years would you guys keep using a crossbow that you absolutely loved ? My concern is it failing during the rut etc and not being able to get it repaired in a short period of time or repaired at all due to lack of replacenent limbs/parts. Thanks

#3 ·
Not sure of exactly how long but I know that with proper care there are alot of people that have crossbows that are 15-20 years old and still shooting. Just like anything else they will eventually wear out. I think most get replaced due to wanting to upgrade than actually being wore out.

#5 ·
I too have a Parker Cyclone. My first and I absolutely love it. When hunting from my stands, it is important to have a crossbow that is narrow. This cyclone really fit in nice.

#6 ·
The only suggested major maintenance are new strings and cables every 3 or so years. One of the largest manufacturers of crossbows told me that if limbs are going to fail, the great majority happen during the first year.

If the limbs fail down the road, and a model and/or parts are no longer available, manufacturers will often credit you something towards a new bow.

#7 ·
Thanks guys!! dpms, always great advice and info( Jeff Pike from York here in case you remember me : )) The only problem is I don't like any of the new Parkers.... I have been thinking about buying a spare set of limbs if I still can get them.

PA- Guy, Until I saw a Cyclone one day at Cabelas I had no desire what so ever to hunt with a crossbow, picked it up and I was in love. : ) Remember you as well.. : )

#10 ·
I have a Parker safari magnum outfitter package I bought in 2004.

replaced the string and cables once because a local pro bow shop said I should when I took it in for maintenance. that was probably back in 2013.

never had an issue with that bow or the red dot scope that came with it.

#11 ·
I have a Parker Terminator that I got in 2007 .Replaced the strings twice and much quieter when the strings are new. As far as replacing parts the xbow fell 18' from the hanger(my fault) in a stand,landed on a rock, cracked the limb but did not fire or release the string. Was upstate that weekend so my hunt was over. Monday took the bow to the shop, they called Parker and 2 new limbs were sent,had it back Wednesday. They don't make Terminators so I don't know if they were Terminator limbs or another models. They were shaped differently but shoots great.

#12 ·
Wald Jager said:
I have a Parker Terminator that I got in 2007 .Replaced the strings twice and much quieter when the strings are new. As far as replacing parts the xbow fell 18' from the hanger(my fault) in a stand,landed on a rock, cracked the limb but did not fire or release the string. Was upstate that weekend so my hunt was over. Monday took the bow to the shop, they called Parker and 2 new limbs were sent,had it back Wednesday. They don't make Terminators so I don't know if they were Terminator limbs or another models. They were shaped differently but shoots great.
great news on the customer service for an older crossbow. SCARY as heck when that bow fell with the arrow pointing up.

#13 ·
Would be nice of CB mfg gave you an extra set of limbs when you purchased your CB. negative side of buying into one of the real cheap CB... I have two CB one of them is now an obsolete S A Sports Rebel.. Like it how it shoots but I couldn't even get a string from the mfg for it already.. Not that it needed it.. I just wanted to have one spare when it does go... I went to a string mfg and purchased it..However I do feel that if the limbs go or when they do go it will have to be disposed of IAW. All tax included it cost me like $170.00 for it.. I'm just hoping I get $170.00 worth of hunts out of it..However I keep it as a spare and use my Wicked Ridge Invader... Now I did just get the limbs replaced on that..It was about 4 years old. However my son had to get his done to and his was only 1 year old. But they, WR did it all for free.. Both the repairs and the shipping for both broken CB. WR limbs are warranted for 5 years..

#14 ·
Uncle Buck I wouldn't call a Parker Cyclone " cheap" Just out of date. At some point every CB./ Compound Company stops producing and carrying parts for their out dated models. After owning it for over 5 years I don't have a problem with that and don't mind paying for an extra set of limbs even though Parker has a lifetime warranty. The reason for posting this thread was to help me decide if i should buy a spare set now just in case.

#17 ·
bohunr said:
Wald Jager said:
great news on the customer service for an older crossbow. SCARY as heck when that bow fell with the arrow pointing up.
Let me clarify, I hung up the xbow on a hanger with a shallow bend. It was still dark and no bolt in it yet as it got light I went to reach for it to load it and it either rolled off the hook or was hanging on the hook tip when it fell. Just amazed me that the impact did not release the string. Maybe if the bolt was in it ??? That would have been a pants changing moment.

As far as seeing the cracks,they are hard to see but you can feel where the limbs are separated. Rough edges with fingertips.

#20 ·
You make two mistakes, in my mind. You believe in a "lifetime guarantee" and you "absolutely love" an inanimate object.
I have objects that lasted longer than the company. If I buy a product I divide the cost by 5 (years) and see if its worthwhile.
Once it gets by ten years its mostly all gravy.

I just bought an item that used forty, fifty and sixty year old technology. Got the items for dollars. The new item, with new technology, can cost at least 70 dollars. I'm not looking for a lifetime guarantee. Probably raise the price with any lifetime guarantee.
If I seem to scoff at "lifetime guarantees", I do.

You have insufficient privileges to reply here.