First Buck - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 17 (permalink) Old 11-20-2015, 11:59 PM Thread Starter
Hooked on HuntingPa

First Buck

After a long time coming, I finally shot my first buck on the evening of 10/10/15. I have been doing some form of hunting for the last 19 years. I will admit that when I was younger baseball took up most of my time until after college, so I have just in the last few years devoted much time to hunting. I have taken doe with my rifle, compound, and crossbow, but taking a buck always seemed to elude me. In my area of central Pa, I do not see many legal bucks once the season seems to roll around for whatever reason. Last year I had my first archery shot at a buck, and I missed a buck with my compound when the lower cam hit my leg, when I took a shot sitting down. So this year, I decided, I was going to take my crossbow at the beginning of the season.

The 6 pt. buck I took showed up around 5:10 on that Saturday evening. I had been getting pics of him for the past week in the late afternoon and early evening near my stand. I planted Whitetail Pure Attraction in August that, I believe he had found earlier in the week. He came in from behind me and was walking through some tree tops that were from the timbering that had been done earlier in the summer. I didn’t immediately stand up, because I was thinking maybe he would end up coming to my right and I could get a shot sitting down, but he ended up turning and going behind me. As he was making his way behind me, I said a quick prayer asking to help me make a good shot, if the opportunity came.

When he went behind me about 40 yards or so, I used the tree, I was in, to try and block my movement and slowly stood up. I had already grabbed my Ten Point Stealth XLT off of the hanger. I turned to the left, but lost the buck in the brush and thick saplings behind me. It wasn’t long that he began moving again and was headed to the left of me. I had two shooting lanes that I felt I could get a good clear shot. I watched him in the range finder the first time, to make sure he was legal with 3 points to a side, but forgot to range him while doing so. I knew he was close to 20 yards, but hit him again with my Nikon and he was at 20.8 yards. He was walking so I quietly mouth bleated, but he kept walking and began entering the last real clear shooting lane. I mouth bleated a second time, and he stopped almost perfectly broadside. I anchored the Steady Eddy and send Pro Elite arrow tipped with a NAP Killzone Crossbow head into him. On impact, he ran about 20 yards and stopped. He was standing still, and I followed him in my Leupold Crossbones scope, and could see his tail was tucked. He went to take a step and began to stumble. Upon trying to take his second step, his legs gave out and he went down.

He ended up around 20 from where I shot him, and about 40-50 yards from my stand. To say that I was pumped and thankful was an understatement. The last probably 7 years, I put a lot of hours in the stand looking for a buck, and to finally take one was such a relief. I was also thankful to take this guy while hunting with my father, who has been my hunting partner since I was 12. I will say it will be quite a different rifle season. For the first time in my life, I will not have a valid tag to use during the first week of Pa rifle season, but I would be lying if I said, I wasn't pretty happy about that.

Mathews Z7
Ten Point Stealth XLT
Remington 760, 700
Taurus Ragging Bull
CVA Optima
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 (permalink) Old 11-21-2015, 12:06 AM

Re: First Buck

Congradulations on a successful hunt. Thanks for sharing.
post #3 of 17 (permalink) Old 11-21-2015, 12:09 AM
Frequent Contributor

Way to stick it out...most people in your shoes would of spent their time complaining or gave up all together. Congrats to you, I hope you get a 19 year string of good luck now!

I believe in God, family and fair dealings.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 17 (permalink) Old 11-21-2015, 12:58 AM
Diehard Outdoorsman

Well done.

Matthew 22:37-40
post #5 of 17 (permalink) Old 11-21-2015, 01:02 AM

Way to go!! Congrats!!!

Traditions only last if you pass them down to your kids!
post #6 of 17 (permalink) Old 11-21-2015, 01:54 AM

Fine buck, congrats!

USAF 1980-2010
OEF VET
VFW Life Member
NRA Life Member
American Legion Life Member
post #7 of 17 (permalink) Old 11-21-2015, 07:25 AM
The Man

Congrats
post #8 of 17 (permalink) Old 11-21-2015, 10:34 AM

That is awesome, buddy. Congrats on your first buck and thanks for sharing.

I support all hunters, regardless of weapon or technique!
post #9 of 17 (permalink) Old 11-21-2015, 12:19 PM

A big congrats to you! Good story!

I don't hunt turkeys because I want to, I hunt turkeys because I have to.
post #10 of 17 (permalink) Old 11-21-2015, 12:41 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

Awesome job. That kind of perseverance says a lot about your character.

Huntin Bucks and Crushin Ducks

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page