crossbow scope review - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-17-2015, 01:32 AM Thread Starter
Frequent Contributor

crossbow scope review

So, I'm a bit of a scope snob. I like to have good quality scopes, not necessarily the most expensive, the most expensive are not always good quality. Currently I have a Excalibur tact zone with an illuminated reticle. It works ok but there is room for improvement. When looking through it the outside edge's aren't focused as clear as the center. The big thing I noticed was after focusing the crosshair I found there isn't a locking not. The bad about that is this. And if you have one try it. Hold you bow still and move the focus part of the eypiece, you'll see the crosshair move, this isn't good!

I'm considering the Zeiss x-bow scope, here are my concerns; no illuminated reticle, but with good glass it may not be needed. Focsl plane, with an adjustable magnification the distance between the hash marks will change if it isn't a 1st focal plane.

So, what's the best scope for functionality for use on a crossbow. What do you like and dislike on your scope and if you were going to replace it what would you buy and why
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-17-2015, 12:26 PM

Re: crossbow scope review

I would send Cabela's an email explaining: brand and speed of crossbow, distance you plan to shoot, approximate the amount you wish to spend, what you would like to see in regards to the scope (options). Some crossbows have more recoil than others and the higher the poundage, the more recoil. I have a 7mm Remington Magnum that when first purchased that after one shot the scope would be off. The rifle was bore sighted and from rifle to target was tape measured (no guessing). The rifle was shot from a solid bench with the rifle in a good quality rest to avoid torgue. The scope I had used was good for a 30.30 etc. but the 7mm had way too much recoil. A better quality scope solved the problem. I find Cabela's very helpful with any questions I have had. They get an enormous amount of feed back from hunters and outfitters. All the best.
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-17-2015, 02:52 PM
Hooked on HuntingPa

Contact arrowhead - a member here.
I'm sure he'd be able to offer you some input and help make a decision.

Mossberg 500
<span style="text-decoration: line-through">Browning BLR .308</span> Ruger American .308
Wicked Ridge Invader HP

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-17-2015, 08:42 PM

The Hawke makes a very good scope for the money. Several different styles with reticles. I have heard some good review on the Zeiss but have never used.

I do agree with you on the Excal scopes. All of their scopes while not horrible definitely could use some improvement.

Contacting Arrowhead would be a good idea.

Traditions only last if you pass them down to your kids!
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-17-2015, 10:17 PM
The Man

How much improvement do you need for such a short range weapon?I would want one bareback if you can get one.
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-17-2015, 10:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by good ole boy
How much improvement do you need for such a short range weapon?I would want one bareback if you can get one.
All of them use to be this way. My Excal Exocett 200 has a peep and peep and pin setup. I love it. I am not sure they even make an open sights crossbow anymore.I prefer open sights.

Life Memeber NRA
Life Memeber NAHC
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-17-2015, 10:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gunnermhr
I'm considering the Zeiss x-bow scope, here are my concerns; no illuminated reticle, but with good glass it may not be needed. Focsl plane, with an adjustable magnification the distance between the hash marks will change if it isn't a 1st focal plane.
IMO, the Zeiss is a tough scope to beat. I have one and use it quite often. Great glass and a wonderful reticle to work with. The glass alone gets you some extra shooting time.

As far as the magnification ring. It is a speed ring designed to tune the reticle to exact trajectory of your arrows. One thing to consider is if you mark your setting on the ring, you can still zoom in on as target as long as you shoot the top hash mark. Zooming will not change the POI of the top hash mark. If you hold high lungs using the top hash you should still hit vitals out to at least 30 yards or more. Just remember to turn it back to its original setting if you shoot the other hash marks.

The Excal scopes are not very good.

I support all hunters, regardless of weapon or technique!
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-19-2015, 10:31 PM

I had a TacZone on my Matrix 30 and hated it, kept getting a "fisheye effect". Sold it and picked up a Hawke. Love it.

Never Misses
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-20-2015, 04:55 PM
Part of the Community

I have a hawke on mine,nice scope. Was looking online the other day and came across a brunton f- echo variable power crossbow scope. Looks like a nice scope anyone have one or know anything about them?
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-15-2015, 02:48 PM
New Arrival

I have a Excaliber Luma Zone on mind it would be hard to find a better one clear as a bell

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page