First deer in 25 years and first archery/xbow buck - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 22 (permalink) Old 11-08-2015, 01:17 AM Thread Starter
Hooked on HuntingPa

First deer in 25 years and first archery/xbow buck

So, I got out for my grand total of second time this season for an evening hunt. I went to property behind my in-law's house where I've hunted for 8 years, and never had any deer even close enough to even contemplate a shot. I sat at a location that I had hunted several times before. It's over a creek and sort of in a funnel. I had high expectations of seeing nothing again.

At about 4:30 or so I looked over my shoulder and looked back into the pasture - which I don't do often - just because I never expected deer to come across there. There he was - chasing around three does. At that point, I knew he was a small buck, and couldn't even tell if he was legal at that distance - even with 6x rangefinder. So, one of the does wanders into the woods, and he eventually follows. Where she split off and went more to the right of me, he came in almost right in front of me - into about 25 yards. He looked up at me a couple times but didn't may much mind to me. Even at that point, I couldn't tell if it was a 7 or 8 - and I still wasn't even sure if I wanted to shoot because it's so small, but I figured it's been a loooong time since I had a shot opportunity, and it's meat, so I might as well take the shot. I let fly at 4:46. I watched him run out to about 80 yards and start walking, but didn't see him continue either way.

I thought I hit farther back than I wanted, but didn't see my arrow, so I got down in about 15 min (I know - I should have waited longer, but I was losing light and wanted to at least try to find my arrow.)

I didn't find my arrow, but I did find blood and started following it (another mistake - but
I knew tracking would be easier with (some) daylight than a flashlight).

Ultimately, I followed the blood and saw the deer about 30 feet away, head still up.

Fast forward a little, and he expired and I retrieved him. (see link below for pics)

So, a couple questions:
[list][*]I'm guessing I watched for about 10-15 minutes until the deer expired. I absolutely HATED watching that, but didn't really want to walk up and shoot another arrow into him. I was very tempted to back out and come back in the morning, but he had attempted to get up a couple times and appeared that he couldn't. Had I waited 30 min of so after the shot, I would have found him dead instead. <span style="font-weight: bold">Would you have finished him off, or wait a bit like I did? </span> I realize the answer was probably "C" - back out and come back later or tomorrow.
[*]The arrow did hit farther back than I had intended. It went through guts on the way out. The deer wasn't perfect broadside, but facing towards me a little - not quartering - but maybe "eighting" towards me. Possible liver shot? Would a deer survive about 30 min with a liver shot? The heart was definitely not touched. Honestly - I didn't look at the lungs but I expect they were also untouched: there were no bubbles in the blood and no blood out of his mouth. The blood trail was not heavy, but deep red. Quite a bit of of internal bleeding.
[*]

I have to go get my stand tomorrow, and I can see if there's anything left of the gut pile and see if I can find the liver and what it looks like.

I have very mixed emotions about this harvest. Mostly because I sat and watched it die, and also because it's little - but as said earlier - opportunities don't present themselves often where I hunt.

No need to flame, but constructive criticism welcome. I know I made some mistakes.

Thanks.

Pics
https://flic.kr/s/aHskoQiMSU

Mossberg 500
<span style="text-decoration: line-through">Browning BLR .308</span> Ruger American .308
Wicked Ridge Invader HP

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 22 (permalink) Old 11-08-2015, 01:31 AM

Re: First deer in 25 years and first archery/xbow buck

Not much to say but congratulations. Maybe he wasn't the biggest deer but it was the shot that presented itself.

My ability to remember lyrics from songs of the 60's far exceed my ability to remember why I walked into the kitchen
post #3 of 22 (permalink) Old 11-08-2015, 01:45 AM
Frequent Contributor

Congrats. I would shoot that deer everyday of the week and twice on Sunday... That's if wee were allowed to hunt Sunday's
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 22 (permalink) Old 11-08-2015, 03:16 AM
Frequent Contributor

Congrats

Freezer full yet?
post #5 of 22 (permalink) Old 11-08-2015, 09:46 AM

You did good.I really give you credit for being able to keep after getting a deer that long.To answer one of your questions,I watched my first archery buck expire.I did't hate it I rejoiced in the gift from above.My family ate good meat and I have antlers to remember that entire part of my life.However the first deer I killed was in Sarver Pa,my Dad did a drive for me,doe runs through a field and the 30-06 drops her.Hit her high and she is bawling loud.Ran over and shot her again.I guess your answer is every situation is different and you need to what is right for you and the animal.It worked for you minus the emotional scar,but you now know what to do next time.Oh and don't quit now because deer will come easier for you because you learned what you need to know.Second question,I think you hit a major artery.

Bob Seger,till it shines.
post #6 of 22 (permalink) Old 11-08-2015, 10:36 AM
Administrator

Congrats!
post #7 of 22 (permalink) Old 11-08-2015, 10:54 AM
Diehard Outdoorsman

Probably caught a good blood vessel in addition to the liver hits as liver hits usually don't expire that quickly.

You did the right thing my observing and watching the deer actions, and then deciding to waiting it out.

No shame in that buck, you earned him.

Congrats !

UNITED WE STAND! NRA LIFE MEMBER
post #8 of 22 (permalink) Old 11-08-2015, 10:56 AM
Diehard Outdoorsman

Well done.

Matthew 22:37-40
post #9 of 22 (permalink) Old 11-08-2015, 11:03 AM
Hooked on HuntingPa

congrats

Sniper 370 / victory X bolts / shockwave 100grn / KI lumix with speedring (mine)
Parker Tornado (sons)
post #10 of 22 (permalink) Old 11-08-2015, 11:21 AM

Awesome.

Only difference is you saw him expire instead of waiting and not seeing him expire. The sequence would have been the same. If the deer looked like it was in pretty bad shape, I would have probably waited as well if I were bowhunting. If it did get up and took off when you approached, the outcome may have been different.

Liver shots usually take longer than that. Probably caught something important.

Congrats on the fine first archery buck!

I support all hunters, regardless of weapon or technique!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page