neck shots on deer? - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 27 (permalink) Old 10-31-2015, 12:30 AM Thread Starter
New Arrival

neck shots on deer?

passed up 8pt today only offered neck shot anyone shoot in neck with crossbow?

if it ain't broke don't fix it
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 27 (permalink) Old 10-31-2015, 12:42 AM
Part of the Community

Re: neck shots on deer?

Not a good shot option for a bow at all. You made a good choice. Sure they have arteries and a spine in there, but it's risky, and have never once seen someone recommend this area of a deer as a target for archery equipment. This applies to a rifle too. No need to try to hit a 1/2" artery or 2" spine when you can shoot for a killzone the size of the heart/lung area (probably 14+") so really no comparison on the deadlier option with much higher chances of a killing shot.

"I became insane, with long intervals of horrible sanity"
-Edgar Allan Poe
post #3 of 27 (permalink) Old 10-31-2015, 12:48 AM

You did right to pass the shot. It can be done, but your kill zone is considerably smaller. Bear in mind most buck's necks are swollen now too, which shows more surface area to pick that kill zone out of. Opinions may vary, but for me, it's either behind the shoulder or I don't take the shot.

A friend of mine attempted a neck shot last night, and was crying the blues today. Several hundred yards of light blood, then nothing. I'd have to guess that buck's sore, but still chasing does.

"Well boy, you ain't gonna git nothin' layin' in that bed." ~My ol' man
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 27 (permalink) Old 10-31-2015, 01:39 AM
Frequent Contributor

Definitely not with a bow, I did it last year as a finishing shot and I'll never do it again.

As for a rifle, I'll take a neck shot any day, all day. Drops them in their tracks, all but one anyhow, it ran 20 yards and rolled down the mountain another 100. There is so much meat and vitals the traumatic shock is hard to avoid.
post #5 of 27 (permalink) Old 10-31-2015, 08:17 PM

Risky at best.

I support all hunters, regardless of weapon or technique!
post #6 of 27 (permalink) Old 11-01-2015, 09:12 AM

I have never even considered neck shots.My Dad told me 43 years ago shoot behind the shoulder and that is what I do.I could have taken an iffy shot yesterday at a buck of a lifetime.I may never see that class of buck again but it was the right thing to do.I have mixed emotions about it but I made the correct decision and I am glad I did.

Bob Seger,till it shines.
post #7 of 27 (permalink) Old 11-01-2015, 12:35 PM
Frequent Contributor

I've never taken one, but I found this topic interesting as I recently read something about it. I own the Field and Stream total deer hunter manual. #178 says "Take the Neck Shot if you must" and here is what it says:

In his book "Shots at Whitetails", Larry Koller preached the neck shot to gun hunters and proved its lethality by grounding bucks via shots to the throat patch. "Any shot into the upper third of the deer's neck," he wrote, "is so decisive in result that this writer has yet to hear of a deer moving from its tracks after being hit in this area...Lower neck shots seem to have much the same effect on deer as the quick removal of a head with an ax has on the Thanksgiving turkey." A good neck shot will do the job, but it's a smaller target for the average hunter. If all you have is a neck shot, and it's one you're confident you can make, fine. Otherwise, shoot for the hear-lung area.

For what its worth, thought I'd share that. Maybe only for gun shots? I dunno....

-=Demillo=-
post #8 of 27 (permalink) Old 11-01-2015, 12:50 PM

The shock and damage from gun shots is many times bigger than that of an arrow. Picture a small pumpkin. That is the size of the tissue destruction from a high velocity bullet. It will cover up much of the neck of a deer. Now picture the 1.5 inch diameter broadhead. That is all you are relying on to hit vital structures in the neck. Namely the spine and two main vessels.

I support all hunters, regardless of weapon or technique!
post #9 of 27 (permalink) Old 11-01-2015, 12:57 PM
Regular Visitor

In archery it is huge gamble to take a neck shot. Sure, the right shot is quickly lethal. The wrong shot is torture for the deer.
I applaud you for such a great ethical decision. The right choices are often the toughest. I am proud that we have such great sportsman here.
post #10 of 27 (permalink) Old 11-01-2015, 06:53 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

I will shoot for the vitals, not the neck. I don't eat vitals.

However, I do enjoy neck roasts with bacon and onion in a crock pot, for making pulled meat sammies!

“There is Truth in the Old Saying, That if you make yourself a Sheep, the Wolves will eat you.”
Benjamin Franklin, 1773

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page