may have made a mistake - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-14-2015, 12:18 PM Thread Starter

may have made a mistake

My first experience with a crossbow. Being frugal (very cheap) I bought a used Barnett Quad 400. The rope cocker looked pretty bad so on Saturday I went to Dicks and bought a Barnett "Crank cocking device" $79.99 I looked it over and began the install. Directions consisted of 5 drawings of the device, each on different crossbows. I found the Quad drawing and went to town. It looked OK so I got a bolt ready (not on the rail) and worked the crank. As I cranked it went easy than hard then easy then hard. As the string got to the "trigger latch" all [censored] broke loose. The limbs snapped forward and the cocking device strings were "flapping in the breeze." I took everything apart and found the strings had broken on the end where they go into the "drums" The knotted end of the strings was still in the "drum".

1. do I take the device back to Dicks
2. take the bow to a shop near me for evaluation (limb damage)
3. call Barnett (Warranty card says no guarantee on the rope/string) I still have the warranty card filled out but not mailed as this happened on Sunday.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-14-2015, 12:31 PM

Re: may have made a mistake

I would suggest calling Barnett as it was their hand crank cocking device that failed, they should be liable for all of it regardless of the warranty on the bow.

or take the whole package to dicks and speak with the manager, tell him you no longer trust the bow and want a replacement package and let them deal with Barnett

or call Barnett and ask for the regional sales manager, set up an appointment to have him meet you at dicks.

I looked at a Barnett package with the hand crank installed at field and stream last week, they couldn't get the hand crank to work properly, I didn't buy it. I am saving up for a ten point to replace my parker.

Good Luck. lets us know how it works.

http://www.thebreastcancersite.com
go here click on the pink square, beat breast cancer
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-15-2015, 12:39 PM Thread Starter

I finally decided to try crossbow hunting since I’ve retired and being frugal (very cheap) I bought a USED Barnett Quad 400 recently. The rope cocker that came with the crossbow looked pretty bad so on Saturday (12th Sept) I went to Dicks (40 miles away outside Muncy, PA) and bought a Barnett "Crank Cocking Device" ($79.99) and a Morrell target. I took it home and on the 13th I looked it over and began the install using the directions. Directions consisted of 5 drawings of the device, each on different crossbows. I found the one Quad drawing and went to town. I also consulted the one page info and noted the Quad had the device strings OVER the anchor points. It looked OK but I had a concern as the strings left the “drum” and seemed to ANGLE outward to the point they went over the string anchor points. So I got a bolt ready (not on the rail) and worked the crank. As I cranked it went easy than hard then easy then hard. As the string got to the "trigger latch" all [censored] broke loose. The limbs snapped forward and the cocking device strings were "flapping in the breeze." I then took everything apart and found the strings had broken on the end where they go into the "drums" The knotted end of the strings was still in the "drum" and the strings appeared to be broken right or very near the “drum” and crank assembly. I also noted the four pronged connection of the two pieces of the “drum” will no longer fit correctly.

I was/am quite upset as I assumed being a “Barnett” product it would work well on a Barnett crossbow.

I did check on a PA web site and located a Barnett Quad that has a Barnett “Crank cocking Device” installed. From that picture on that site it was clear that his/her crossbow has the strings install UNDER the anchor points.

On 15 Sept. I called Barnett in Tarpon Springs, FL and spoke with Jeri, she listened as I tried to explain the problem and she decided that Barnett would replace the “assembly” and would send me replacement parts. She confirmed that the strings have to be placed OVER the anchor points on a Quad 400 crossbow.

I'll keep everyone posted when the "replacement" parts arrive.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-15-2015, 05:22 PM
New Arrival

Buying used crossbow is like buying a used pickup truck-best avoided altogether, or done with extreme caution!
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-15-2015, 06:42 PM
Banned

Unless it's a tenpoint or excal.
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-16-2015, 02:29 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigfoot062
Buying used crossbow is like buying a used pickup truck-best avoided altogether, or done with extreme caution!
I haven't bought a NEW vehicle since 1973 for myself! I go to the local junk yard and pick out a likely candidate and rebuild it, I told you I was "frugal".
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-18-2015, 10:38 AM

I tried a Barnett crossbow at field and stream. come to think of it, from your description of your problem the guy at field and stream had the hand crank strings under the anchor points too.

this model comes with the hand crank installed on it. maybe the guy that assembled it didn't know what he was doing, all he did was bad mouth Barnett crossbows.

anyway they had problems with it too. as long as they take care of the entire crossbow that's still good customer service.

good luck.

http://www.thebreastcancersite.com
go here click on the pink square, beat breast cancer

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page