Rail lube - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old 09-12-2015, 03:05 PM Thread Starter
cen
Hooked on HuntingPa

Rail lube

Just got a Mission Dagger and they sold me some rail lube, no specific instructions with it. How often/how much should I put on?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old 09-12-2015, 04:21 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

Re: Rail lube

Mission's website, under "support" "FAQ's" recommends applying the rail lube every 15 to 20 shots. The lube is meant to protect the string, so you need to apply the lube to the flat tops of the rail over which the string rides during cocking and shooting. I was also told to apply the lube to the outside vertical faces of the rail to reduce the noise created by my cocking rope hooks rubbing on the rail as I cock it. As for how much to use, use just enough to coat the surface, smooth it out with your fingertip if you need to. Any excess will only run off, so no point in using too much. You'll figure it out by trial and error.
post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old 09-12-2015, 07:44 PM Thread Starter
cen
Hooked on HuntingPa

Thx much
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old 09-12-2015, 08:38 PM
New Arrival

When I just bought my Mission the shop told me to make sure the rail looks wet. If it looks like it getting dry spots put some lube on it.
post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old 09-13-2015, 12:04 PM

I basically don't use any. I may put some one once a year and that is just a light coat. I used to put on more when I first got a crossbow, but I don't see any difference in string wear and it can lead to getting dirt and oil into the trigger box. I do wax the string regularly though.

Traditions only last if you pass them down to your kids!
post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old 09-13-2015, 12:57 PM

I just started with a crossbow so I purchased a Barnett and their wax is also a lube. They say apply to string after every 5th shot and on the rail about every 20.

My ability to remember lyrics from songs of the 60's far exceed my ability to remember why I walked into the kitchen
post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old 09-13-2015, 03:10 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

Quote:
Originally Posted by cspot
I basically don't use any. I may put some one once a year and that is just a light coat. I used to put on more when I first got a crossbow, but I don't see any difference in string wear and it can lead to getting dirt and oil into the trigger box. I do wax the string regularly though.
Thanks for chiming in with that thought. I had that same concern.
post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old 09-13-2015, 05:13 PM
Hooked on HuntingPa

Every mfg has their own specifications for "rail care" on their individual crossbows. I found that first of all keep your string waxed good is the main upkeep to these faster crossbows.

As far as lubeing the rail, I personally dont like my rail to stay "wet" because everything between your house and your treestand will find away to stick to it! What I do is take a rag and spray a silicone drying lube on it and wipe the rail down with it anytime it gets dirty or every few days of hunting, it will still leave a trace of lube on the rail but will not attract dirt and debris.

I believe lubeing the rail every 5-15 shots ect is over kill and will build up in your serving possibly causing other maintanence issues over time as dirt and debris will also imbed into the serving over time.
post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old 09-13-2015, 05:37 PM
New Arrival

For clarification, I didn't say the rail should "stay wet". It should look wet, meaning shiny or a glossy look to it. I agree that too much can be detrimental because of dirt collection etc. The same goes for a gun.
post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old 09-13-2015, 06:36 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

I now use a product called "arrow snot" It's designed to make arrows easier to pull from 3D targets. It works great for rail lube. I put it on the rail and use a paper towel to buff it all back off. By doing this, there is nothing left on the barrel for the dirt and grime to stick to. It leaves the rail clean, dry and slippery as a bass belly...LOL.

Our store- http://arrowhead-outdoors.com/
"The best warranty, is the one you never have to use"

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page