Will you ever give up your crossbow? - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-31-2015, 06:47 PM Thread Starter
Regular Visitor

Will you ever give up your crossbow?

I don't want to start a fight. But I have hunted with a crossbow for last 3 years. Previously I hunted with a compound for 20+ years. If I could, I don't think that I would ever go back. I miss the compound. But for hunting, I love the crossbow. Do you all feel the same?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-31-2015, 06:54 PM Thread Starter
Regular Visitor

Re: Will you ever give up your crossbow?

Still get cold and stiff after a long Nov be sit. With a crossbow, no big deal.
No more "bad" days of shooting to mess with your confidence.
No more drawing too early. Trying to overcome the uncontrollable shakes as your muscles tire.
When I get a chance to be in the woods. My goal is to be as productive as possible. The crossbow is the tool for the job.
My 10 point from the ground last year was just as rewarding as any deer I have ever taken with a compound.
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-31-2015, 07:09 PM

I like to hunt with many different weapons. Will probably always keep hunting with a crossbow but I have been shooting a traditional longbow more and more lately. Use whatever floats your boat at the time.

I support all hunters, regardless of weapon or technique!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-31-2015, 07:25 PM

Never used it to hunt with but yesterday was the first time I ever shot it and it was a blast.
I always wanted to archery hunt but never felt I had the time or accuracy to feel confident, and that was something I put on my bucket list for when I retired.
Friends of mine talked me into trying with the crossbow a , so I brought a medium grade that if I didn't like could play out back with the grand kids.
Used a shooting stick, after 15 shots and some adjustments was holding a 1" group at 15 yards, moved back to 25, then 40. I wont hunt with it till Mid October at the earliest but its fun to shoot.
At this point even if I just use it as a toy it was well worth the money. I can definitely see moving up a couple classes in crossbows soon if I like it for hunting.

My ability to remember lyrics from songs of the 60's far exceed my ability to remember why I walked into the kitchen
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-31-2015, 09:06 PM
Frequent Contributor

I bought a corssbow this year after having a big buck walk by me at 45 yards last season. It was heart breaking. Last day of archery. I just didnt feel comfertable at that distance. So I didnt take the shot. As soon as the buck got out of sight. I made a plan. I was think about how my dad told me he is acurate out to 70 yards with his ten point. So from that point on, I was set. The following year I would be walking out with a crossbow.

Not that racks are my priority, but it would have been nice to wack him. Now with a summer of shooting, I am holding a 2 inch group and a 4 inch group at 82 yards with my crossbow. I will not take shots that far. But I always practice further then I shoot. The vertical bows have a place and a challenge to them. That I still enjoy. But for me, from an ethics stand point I will hunt with the xbow. My kids will hunt with and xbow. Also I dont need to haul the muzzle loader out with me in October. The xbow is just as effective.
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-31-2015, 09:15 PM
Frequent Contributor

I love using my compound early, and then I like the option of taking the crossbow out later in the season when the temps drop so I can bulk up without fear of the string hitting my forearm.

Both have pros and cons imo, and I will use both as long as I am able.

Quarry mine, blessed am I
In the luck of the chase.
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-31-2015, 09:26 PM

The greatest thing about the crossbow is less practice time. I can run my beagles, duck hunt and fish more leading up to deer hunting. Not that I archery hunt much anymore, but if I want to put a Sept or Oct doe in the freezer, thanks for the crossbow.
I stopped archery hunting in 1991 when I was guiding and writing full time. The crossbow has let me get back in to it with limited time.

as waylon would say,
dont go taking me seriously
cause i poked at you in fun
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-31-2015, 09:28 PM

If I want to have fun shooting my bow, the recurve or longbow comes out. I haven't shot my compound in over 25 years.

as waylon would say,
dont go taking me seriously
cause i poked at you in fun
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-31-2015, 11:48 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

Will never give it up...!Love it...even though,I bought a new bear compound last year and shoot it 4 times a week and love it also...but the xbow is my choice and buying a New mission for myself come Dec.
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-01-2015, 12:03 AM
Diehard Outdoorsman

When they pry it from my cold. ......oh sorry

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page