The good, the bad, and the ???????'s - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 24 (permalink) Old 08-30-2015, 03:47 PM Thread Starter
Diehard Outdoorsman

The good, the bad, and the ???????'s

O.K. This will be my first season with a a crossbow. I bought a Mission MXB-360 and I really like it. So, I'm over that hurdle.

I hunt exclusively out of a Summit Viper climbing tree stand. I've been shooting the crossbow off of my backyard deck to get a feel of how the shot trajectory is when shooting down at an angle. So far so good, but the deck isn't that high and I hunt anywhere from 20 to 25 feet up and I wanted to get some shooting in from my actual tree stand at a height at or near where I would be hunting from. So, my daughter and I took a walk in the woods with my tree stand, crossbow, and a large block target.

So, here's what I've found out so far... With my climber on my back, and a small day pack, the crossbow was really awkward to carry in and out of the woods. I can imagine what it will be like trying to manage a small flashlight as well. Do you guys use a sling on your crossbow? Even if I were to consider that, how would I manage that with a climber?

Once I got to a suitable tree, stand set up and hoisting my crossbow and my pack up went well. Not all that different from doing the same with my bow and pack.

I cocked the crossbow using a rope cocking aid <span style="text-decoration: underline">after I climbed up</span>. It was a pleasant surprise how well and easily that went. The limbs fit down nicely inside of my shooting rail and when cocked, I was easily able to pull the crossbow up and lay it across my stand's shooting rail. I still have some concerns about the noise generated by the hooks for the cocking aid when they ride along the side of the crossbow's rail as I cock the rope. Do you guys cock and un-cock at your vehicle or when you get to your stand? I posed the noise question to Mission's tech staff and they recommended a little rail lube on the outside of the rails? Have any of you tried that? Thoughts?

As for shooting, that went well too. I shot from 4 yards out to 30 yards at various positions. Being left handed, shooting off my left shoulder was the most awkward of course and shooting in front and to the right were much easier. The Viper has diagonal tubes that extend up from the horizontal portion of the top rail, to the top cable that wraps around the tree. Those diagonal tubes were awkward to maneuver around and it took a bit of effort and a lot of movement to get in position to shoot.

Once in position, shooting went well. I was very pleased that the top 20 yard scope cross hair was on at both the 4 yard shot (nearly straight down) out to just over 20 yards, with no having to hold low to account for the steep trajectory. I shot reasonably well out to 30 yards, but had some room for improvement at that range.

As for getting into position, I was in a sitting position to start. That's a bit unusual for me, as with a bow I always shot from a standing position (mostly because of my tree stand choice with a top rail.) So, I'm trying to figure out whether or not I should stand and raise my top rail up so I can use it for a rest, or keep shooting from a sitting or crouching position. (We were running out of daylight and I didn't get to try that yesterday.) Any thoughts on your preferences?

All in all, I feel like even after bow hunting for 16+ years, I'm starting over again trying to figure out how to make this new equipment work for me.

Any advice will be very much appreciated!!!!!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 24 (permalink) Old 08-30-2015, 04:31 PM
Frequent Contributor

Re: The good, the bad, and the ???????'s

I hunt with a summit viper and xbow also. I cant stand carrying a climber on my back so I sling the xbow and even though it seems silly I carry the stand in one hand and light in the other. would not want to pack a summit and an xbow for a long distance would need a small game cart for that.
post #3 of 24 (permalink) Old 08-30-2015, 06:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WexfordBowhunter
So, here's what I've found out so far... With my climber on my back, and a small day pack, the crossbow was really awkward to carry in and out of the woods. I can imagine what it will be like trying to manage a small flashlight as well. Do you guys use a sling on your crossbow? Even if I were to consider that, how would I manage that with a climber?
I don't sling as the horizontal limbs catch on everything along the way. Crossbows are just a plain pain in the rear to carry in and out with any other equipment. Especially treestands. No easy way to do it.

Quote:
Do you guys cock and un-cock at your vehicle or when you get to your stand?
I cock the bow before I climb up. I don't like to carry a cocked crossbow in or out if I can avoid it. I don't like to cock once I am in my stand as I hunt out of smaller hang on stands.

Quote:
As for getting into position, I was in a sitting position to start. That's a bit unusual for me, as with a bow I always shot from a standing position (mostly because of my tree stand choice with a top rail.) So, I'm trying to figure out whether or not I should stand and raise my top rail up so I can use it for a rest, or keep shooting from a sitting or crouching position. (We were running out of daylight and I didn't get to try that yesterday.) Any thoughts on your preferences?
I prefer to stand once I see deer approaching. I just feel more maneuverable if I am standing. Down side is no rest and raising the bow. You can't hold a crossbow up too long before you start shaking and have to lower it.

Quote:
All in all, I feel like even after bow hunting for 16+ years, I'm starting over again trying to figure out how to make this new equipment work for me.
Every choice of equipment Time in the stand with the crossbow will be the best teacher you can find. Good thing is you are way ahead of the curve since you are already an accomplished archery hunter.

Best of luck this fall. I look forward to hearing about some successful hunts with the Mission 360.

I support all hunters, regardless of weapon or technique!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 24 (permalink) Old 08-30-2015, 10:43 PM

Carrying a crossbow is a pain the rear and I haven't really found a good way to do it. I sling mine, but I don't have to carry a stand either.

I cock mine when I leave the vehicle or the house most of the time. Don't raise the bow to the stand with an arrow in it however.

We hunt out of ladderstands and blinds and have shot about all of our deer from a seated position.

The best thing to do is what you have already done and that is practice out of the tree to find what works for you. Good Luck this fall.

Traditions only last if you pass them down to your kids!
post #5 of 24 (permalink) Old 08-31-2015, 02:20 PM

Since going from a compound to a crossbow, I quickly abandoned the climbing stand. I now hunt from ladders, and ground blinds. I sling mine when walking to my stand with a backpack and don' have to many issues. I usually cock mine before climbing into which ever stand I am using
post #6 of 24 (permalink) Old 08-31-2015, 02:31 PM
Frequent Contributor

I hunt with a crossbow from a Summit Viper also. I strap my crossbow to my tree stand along with my back pack. I usually place my folded-up outer layer of clothing (my 'leafy suit' or outer jacket) on the upper part of the tree stand (behind my head), and then strap my back pack onto the tree stand, and then strap the crossbow on, using the folded up garment as a cushion to prevent the crossbow from 'bumping' against the tree stand (I use a strap at this spot to hold the bow tight so I don't lose my garment).

Works really well for me.

And, I always cock the crossbow just before I climb up the tree.

Quarry mine, blessed am I
In the luck of the chase.
post #7 of 24 (permalink) Old 08-31-2015, 03:22 PM
dce
Sage

I bought a crossbow for my son last year.It would be a pain carrying a crossbow and a climber just like it's a pain carrying a rifle and a climber.We hunted out of hang-ons and ladder stands so carrying just the crossbow with a sling was a breeze.Shooting down at an angle has no affect on trajectory.The only thing that matters is the horizontal distance between you and the target.I cocked the crossbow when we left the truck and hauled it up without a bolt.
post #8 of 24 (permalink) Old 08-31-2015, 06:32 PM
Hooked on HuntingPa

I hunt out of a Summit Openshot and really like shooting out of it and have found shooting both sitting and standing to be effective.

I carry the crossbow and have my climber on my back. I use a carabiner to clip my daypack to my climber. Flashlight is on my head, not in my hand. I haven't used a regular flashlight in about 15 years because I like to have a hand free to move branches as I am walking.

Hunting with a crossbow for the first time in a treestand was a little awkward, but I adjusted nicely and had a great first season with it!

Good luck!
post #9 of 24 (permalink) Old 08-31-2015, 06:37 PM
Regular Visitor

Buy a headlamp. You can get a good one for $20. They provide more than enough light while walking. And it is one less thing to carry. You can always keep a bright flashlight in your pack.
It sounds like you are doing the right thing by practicing. Don't fall into the trap of only shooting from one position. Keep your options open. Sometimes you will sit. Other times stand. I am left handed also. I like to stand up for shots to my left.
post #10 of 24 (permalink) Old 08-31-2015, 09:26 PM Thread Starter
Diehard Outdoorsman

Guys, thanks for the suggestions. They are appreciated more than I can express!!! Keep 'em comimg....

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page