Want to upgrade - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-24-2015, 05:58 PM Thread Starter
Frequent Contributor

Want to upgrade

I currently have a Parker Enforcer. Have had it about 4 years and I am looking to upgrade. Looking for some more speed. Would like as light as possible for total weight. Also looking for low maintenance, high quality, and great service. Any suggestions are appreciated. As far as price, I could see investing up to about $800 to $1000
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-24-2015, 06:26 PM
The Man

Re: Want to upgrade

Ask dpms, or arrowhead, they both know the ins and outs of the crossbow world.

I think I'm an alright guy, I think I'm alright
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-24-2015, 07:09 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Borden811
Ask dpms, or arrowhead, they both know the ins and outs of the crossbow world.
ditto there.

I just bought a Mission MXB-360. That was a bit out of your price range, but the MXB-320 or the MXB-Sniper Lite might get you about where you want to be price wise. The Mission's are light, reasonably compact, quiet and reliable (as one would expect from a Mathews made product.) I'd give them a look.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-27-2015, 10:23 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

Ten Point Shadow Ultra-Lite would be my bow of choice in that price range. I hunted with one last fall and loved it. Very lightweight and compact. Reliable and great customer service should you ever need it. I took the Acu-Draw 50 off mine and used a rope cocker to save even more weight.

Our store- http://arrowhead-outdoors.com/
"The best warranty, is the one you never have to use"
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-27-2015, 10:34 PM

That price range gives you a lot of options.

The ultimate in low maintenance would be the new recurve from Excalibur called the Micro. Small, compact, light, and great customer service. As with most recurves, they can be a bit loud and the Micro is not a speed burner.

For compounds, Mission is making some great compounds. They are lightweight and fast. The MXB360 is my favorite of the bunch there. Great service through dealers only.

TenPoint Shadow Ultralight has been a great bow. Great customer service. As with most TenPoints, they are on the heavy side.

Horton's new reverse draw Storm is making some waves. Great balance, great speed, great customer service. Moderatley heavy.

CamX Chaos is a overlooked compound. It is not flashy. On the slow side. Has been bulletproof, very light, and has great customer service. There are direct to consumer though. So you have to buy and if you don't like it, can send it back for a full refund. Not sure about the long term viability of the company though. I killed a spring gobbler this year with the Chaos.

The Darton Rebel is a sleeper this year. Extreme bullpup design. Darton is cranking our great bows that have been essentially bulletproof. Plenty fast and compact. A tad heavy. Very good customer service.

I support all hunters, regardless of weapon or technique!
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-27-2015, 11:28 PM

They is a lot of options out there. dpms gives a great review of what's available. I favor the Excalibur's. A no fuss no issues bow. 100% customer support. Try changing a string on a compound xbow in the field or at camp. Just my 2 cents.

I'm so far behind I think I'm in first place.
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-27-2015, 11:40 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

I wouldn't base my decision solely on the basis of being able to change the string in the field. I can't imagine a typical hunt going that terribly wrong that I would need to change the string. While it might be handy if you don't have a dealer close to you and that should then factor in. I like the Excalibur Micro without a doubt, but at 270 lbs. I find it very hard to cock. When my lower back is 100% it's easy, but I don't get 100% too often these days. I'll be using a Horton Storm this season. I really like this bow after shooting a few hundred shot out of it.

Our store- http://arrowhead-outdoors.com/
"The best warranty, is the one you never have to use"
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-28-2015, 04:26 PM Thread Starter
Frequent Contributor

Thanks guys, you provided me with a lot of options. I will digest and start shopping at dealers soon.
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-07-2015, 11:49 PM
Frequent Contributor

Excalibur--Low maint., high quality and great service. However you may not like the recurve style bows. They are balanced well but there are so many options out there. In compounds--well again--so many choices. I suggest going to a dealer where you can shoot whats in you price range and see what you like.
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-08-2015, 12:21 AM

Excalibur

I'm so far behind I think I'm in first place.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page