Safe Hunting Range - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-20-2015, 01:49 PM Thread Starter
Frequent Contributor

Safe Hunting Range

I just picked up a crossbow this past Christmas. It's a carbon express cx-1. I grabbed it at Dick's on clearance. I have been an avid archery hunter for years. And after watching a huge buck walk by me at 45 yards. A range with my bow I am not comfortable at. I wanted to be able to hunt and extend my effective range.

So I got out to the range this past weekend and spent a few hours with my new toy. Needless to say I am very impressed. I believe a cross bow to be a very ethical hunting tool.

I guess what I'm getting at here is what is a safe distance to take a deer at?

This is at 77 yards with my xbow. It keeps with in an inch or two of this each time. I will not shoot more than one bolt at a time. In fear of ruining again. My bolts. (Robin Hood)Which I have already done.

So is 50 ok? 60? What distance have you guys shot deer at?

Crono at 330.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-20-2015, 04:15 PM

Re: Safe Hunting Range

I am not a big fan of shooting past 40 at animals but folks do it all the time with both vertical and crossbows. A lot can go wrong as the range increases.

I support all hunters, regardless of weapon or technique!
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-20-2015, 05:19 PM
dce
Sage

That can be debated all day.Things can go wrong at any distance.However,as unpopular as it is,the further the animal,the less likely it is to react to a shot,assuming it's calm.Yes,the further you get,you still risk the animal just moving on it own.Still,an alert animal at 20 yards poses more of a risk than an unalarmed animal at 50-60 yards.If you practice under field conditions and get an accurante range on the deer without any obstructions,a 50-60 yard shot with a scoped crossbow is doable all day long,especially with a rest.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-20-2015, 05:50 PM Thread Starter
Frequent Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by dce
That can be debated all day.Things can go wrong at any distance.However,as unpopular as it is,the further the animal,the less likely it is to react to a shot,assuming it's calm.Yes,the further you get,you still risk the animal just moving on it own.Still,an alert animal at 20 yards poses more of a risk than an unalarmed animal at 50-60 yards.If you practice under field conditions and get an accurante range on the deer without any obstructions,a 50-60 yard shot with a scoped crossbow is doable all day long,especially with a rest.
Yes I agree an un-alarmed animal at 50-60 I am thinking should be ok. Anyone actually taken a deer at that range?
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-20-2015, 10:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dpms
I am not a big fan of shooting past 40 at animals but folks do it all the time with both vertical and crossbows. A lot can go wrong as the range increases.
Yep. I prefer to be within 30 if at all possible.

Traditions only last if you pass them down to your kids!
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-21-2015, 04:55 PM
dce
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gunjack
Quote:
Originally Posted by dce
Yes I agree an un-alarmed animal at 50-60 I am thinking should be ok. Anyone actually taken a deer at that range?
I know several who have done it multiple times.The pending state record buck,which turned out to not be a state record was killed at 65 yards.Knowing the range and knowing what the weapon will do at that range is critical.
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-30-2015, 11:25 PM
PSA

I shot a doe at 44 yards 2 years ago standing in a field. She was relaxed and feeding broadside. Ranged her several times. She went down within 30 yards. Had a nice open standing shot. That's about as far as I am comfortable with.

Memories - what a lifetime of hunting gives a man
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-03-2015, 02:39 PM

30 yards is my limit.

I'm so far behind I think I'm in first place.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page