What's good for 2015? - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-18-2015, 11:09 PM Thread Starter
Diehard Outdoorsman

What's good for 2015?

CROSSBOW REVIEW 2015
By Michael Wisseman
It’s that time of year where I give some of my thoughts and picks for the upcoming year. I’ll start by saying that these crossbows are picked to be reliable first and foremost. I work hard for my money the same as most of you reading this. I can’t afford to pick crossbows I don’t believe in, as I wouldn’t be able to sell them. This makes my job really tough because I have to buy many crossbows…you only have to choose one. Those who know me, know that I prefer a crossbow to be lightweight, small and very compact. There shouldn’t be things hanging off of it in places that hinder you in the woods. A good crossbow should be accurate and reliable. What good will it be if it fails the first day of November? I see between 40 and 60 broken crossbows every year. I’ve learned what to look for in a reliable crossbow and what to stay away from. If I try to steer you away from a particular design there is a good reason why.
After shooting most of the new offerings for 2015 my choices run like this:

In the $300 range the PSE Fang is going to be tough to beat for value and features. The scope is horrible, but the bow is a solid value even if it came without a scope. Add a quality scope like Hawke Optics 3x32 MAP and life will be good. The Fang compares to other crossbows in the $500 range for a lot less money. Barnett’s Raptor is a good value for the money as well. It’s a solid performer and the only complaint I have is that it comes without a cable slide.

In the $400-$600 range the Wicked Ridge crossbows offer quite a lot for the price. Excalibur also has the Axiom SMF, Grizzly and Ibex SMF. Both Wicked Ridge and Excalibur offer good quality and solid, reliable crossbows. Ten Point has the Titan Extreme and it's a better bow than many even though it's the bottom of the Ten Point line.

In the $700-$1000 range my favorite is the Horton Storm RDX. Don't confuse this crossbow with the imports from the original Horton Mfg. These bows are built by Ten Point and they are quality throughout. Very small and compact, lightweight and quiet as any crossbow can be. This will be the bow to beat in this price range. The Horton Legend is also an excellent choice in the lower end of this price range. Excalibur is offering a Micro this year that has a much smaller limb system that is worth checking out if you prefer a recuve style crossbow, and as always they are dead solid reliable. I really like the Micro and almost considered getting one for myself. It handles better than any Excalibur I have had in my hands.

In the $1100-$1500 range the Ten Point Stealth FX4 and Shadow Ultra Lite are my personal favorites. I hunted with a Shadow UL for most of the season last fall and dearly love this crossbow. I shot a Venom for most of the summer and it is also a very nice bow that is truly a work of art.
The Ten Point Venom and Vapor are two of the most accurate crossbows I have ever handled hands down. The quality of the fit and finish is second to none and they handle sweet in the woods...but all this does come at a price. If you would like to chat about crossbows feel free to send me a message or give me a call. I'm here to help in any way I can. Enjoy your hunt this fall and may all your arrows fly true!

Our store- http://arrowhead-outdoors.com/
"The best warranty, is the one you never have to use"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-18-2015, 11:34 PM
The Man

Re: What's good for 2015?

Lots of good choices there.
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-22-2015, 12:04 AM

Never Misses
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-22-2015, 04:58 PM
The Man

wow that fang has alot of features for the $. Not a xbow deer hunter but I'm going to pick one up to play around with.

Your spot I NEVER go back
My spot I expect the same
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-26-2015, 01:57 AM
The Man

Are all of these bows you mention made in USA?
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-26-2015, 01:49 PM
Frequent Contributor

Not everything made in the USA is quality.

Quote:
Originally Posted by good ole boy
I've been wanting the Excalibur Micro, but I haven't been able to actually handle one. The Horton Storm RDX looks nice as well.

I'll probably end up with another Excalibur since I prefer recurves since they do not require a bow press to restring.

Are the Micros so much better compared to the Matrix. I do see the Micro is a little shorter and not as wide, but I keep on reading how the Micro can be more difficult to cock.
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-26-2015, 06:51 PM
The Man

I too favor the simplicity and ruggedness of a recurve design but I will not own anything with a thumbhole stock.I know they have at least one model without it but that,s the one with the widest limbs.
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-26-2015, 09:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aubie515
Not everything made in the USA is quality.

Quote:
Originally Posted by good ole boy
I've been wanting the Excalibur Micro, but I haven't been able to actually handle one. The Horton Storm RDX looks nice as well.

I'll probably end up with another Excalibur since I prefer recurves since they do not require a bow press to restring.

Are the Micros so much better compared to the Matrix. I do see the Micro is a little shorter and not as wide, but I keep on reading how the Micro can be more difficult to cock.
In my opinion the Micro 335 is just a little easier to cock than the Matrix 380, but it is harder than the Matrix 330. I like the Micro more than I do the Matrix models. Nothing wrong with the Matrix but the Micro is just so nice and compact. Less vibration and noise too.

Traditions only last if you pass them down to your kids!
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-26-2015, 10:02 PM
Frequent Contributor

Can you compare to me the sound of the Micro to say the older Excaliburs. I owned the Phoenix, Axiom and forgot the third crossbow, but thought they were a little louder.
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-26-2015, 10:23 PM

Truthfully it has been a few years since I shot one of the older ones. If I had to guess I would say the noise is similar. There is definitely less vibration and recoil with the Micro though. I would recommend getting your hands on one if you can and letting a couple of shots go down range.

Traditions only last if you pass them down to your kids!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page