Crossbow Hunting Mentor - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-06-2015, 04:44 PM Thread Starter
New Arrival

Crossbow Hunting Mentor

I am looking for a crossbow hunting mentor and guide to help me get into the sport. It has been sometime since I gun hunted and am looking to take up the crossbow as my new platform. I have Barnett Predator, some gear, and license/tags. I can place bolts in 1" circle at 30 & 40 yards. I live in the general King of Prussia area and willing to travel in the region. Thoughts?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-06-2015, 06:57 PM
tdd
Super Moderator

Re: Crossbow Hunting Mentor

What would you like to learn about?

It sounds like you're good to go as far as operation of the bow. It's the hunting side of things you're gonna need some guidance with.
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-06-2015, 07:36 PM Thread Starter
New Arrival

Hunting with the crossbow is a big thing and then the whole field dressing of the deer. It has been way too long and I have lost all of the skills.

I will offer someone a days pay to guide me through the process - start to finish. I also have two tags and would be willing to split the meat.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-07-2015, 02:03 PM
tdd
Super Moderator

Well, it's gonna be tough to get this done this season yet.

Are you looking at this for next year?

I can write up how to field dress one if you want. Once you do it two or three times, it's pretty straightforward. I'd bet if you asked 10 of us how to field dress, you'd get at least 6 methods of doing it, lol. And to be honest, I cringe when I see a lot of hunters dress deer. I've noticed that a lot of hunters, even hunters who've been at it for years, sort of blindly fumble through the job.

I will say this, the way I field dress and the way I do some aspects of butchering do differ from others a bit. I tend to take the way that is most efficient for time and use of meat, and makes least use of a bone saw. I can honestly do an entire deer, field dressing to ready for the freezer, without ever using a saw, if I have to. I do use a saw for some steps just because it does make things a little easier, but the whole job, start to finish, can be done with nothing more than a decent fillet knife.

Probably your best course of action is to start this process in the spring time, with scouting/stand setup work, and go through a season/cycle or two with a mentor.

I'm up near Cabela's, which is kind of far for you, but I am more than willing to help through pm/email/etc if I can be of assistance. If I can knock down another one with my flintlock before the season ends, I will attempt to record how I field dress the deer, but I make no promises on either (1) getting one! lol, and (2) being able to situate a camera or my iphone in a manner conducive to good video of the event. I have no one who will be with me to hold said camera, so I will have to make due, and handling the camera during the task is not going to happen, for obvious reasons, lol.
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-07-2015, 02:05 PM
tdd
Super Moderator

As for hunting, it also will vary a lot from hunter to hunter. I'm assuming you're stand hunting in public land?

If so, maybe what I could do is try to find a little time here and there in the summer and I can come meet you where you plan to hunt and we'll go for a hike and scout a bit.
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-08-2015, 12:28 AM
Frequent Contributor

There are also tons of great videos online (youtube etc.) that will show you how to field dress a deer.

-=Demillo=-
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-08-2015, 12:40 AM

My spidey senses are tingling..

I'm so far behind I think I'm in first place.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page