First with a crossbow - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 11-14-2010, 12:34 AM Thread Starter
Regular Visitor

First with a crossbow

Been a great archery season as far as the amount of deer and encounters that i have had. It has also been a stressful season from the point of someone stealing equipment and intentionally messing with stands.

Three weeks ago I missed a really nice buck at 25 yds shot under him, my fault. He moved around and then offered me a shot at 35yds, well my arrow just nipped a very small branch and once again i missed him. He trotted back down the hill. I continued to hunt the area and saw him two more times but always in the wrong stand.

As stated it has been a tough season from the standpoint of the harassment, I should know I had became part of their plan when climbing a ladder stick and the very top strap snapped and I fell 18 feet. LUCKILY I only broke a rib and missed 7 days of work. Finally the police were brought in to investigate and the strap was cut which lead to the complete failure.

Anyway i got released from the doctor in Wed evening this past week. A buddy that hunts the farm tagged out so he let me barrow his Ten Point Crossbow. After shooting it on Thur morning and getting use to how it operated I felt comfortable with it. That afternoon I climbed up in the ladder stand that I missed the buck from and settled in around 200pm at about 350pm I had a doe jump the fence in front of me with the buck following behind her. He hung on the other side of the fence for a while before he finally jumped over and came to a stop at 30 yds behind a bush. The doe moved down the hill and he soon followed her same path allowing me to get a great shot off at 16yds. After the shot he moved down the hill another 40 yds before stopping for the final time. He ended up being a 7pt that grossed 101 1/2, I called my buddy and he came out and even got the deer out of the woods and into my truck for me. What a thrill after the way the season had been going.

I am as thankful to my friend who loaned me the crossbow as well as those who worked to allow the use of them within the state. I am really thinking about getting my own crossbow for the future. Been looking online at a Parker Tornado any input would be great.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 11-14-2010, 12:47 AM

Re: First with a crossbow

Congrats on your first crossbow kill.

Sounds like you are a tree stand hunter. The Parker Tornado has many fans including me. Compact, fast and quiet. Great warranty and customer service. Can't go wrong with it when you are 18 feet up.

I support all hunters, regardless of weapon or technique!
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 11-14-2010, 12:54 AM
The Man

Congrats on your first buck with the x-bow!!!!

If the hay is layed..a yote will be slayed
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 11-14-2010, 01:42 AM
The Man

Congrats
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 11-14-2010, 05:08 AM
Frequent Contributor

Congrats on the buck! Hope you can prosecute the person(s) who put ya through all the hardships..

The Parker Tornado is awesome! I have taken 2 decent bucks the last 2 years from tree stands with mine.. Light and compact.. Hard bow to beat. I shot most that were on the market before I bought it.. Was the best to me.

"Be who you are and say what you feel, those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind"
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 11-14-2010, 11:16 AM
Part of the Community

Congrats!! Hope you catch the person who did this to you.
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 11-14-2010, 11:17 AM
RB
Sage

WOW, I am just gald you are OK, congrats on the buck!!!

I think the Parker tornado has the biggest following here. Love mine and can never say it is a bad or wrong choice.

"Only takes a second to change your season" Dad, 1980

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page