tree stand or off the ground - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 11-26-2014, 09:02 PM Thread Starter

tree stand or off the ground

i don't own a crossbow, actually i've never even shot one. I was curious though, because of the fact that you do not have to draw a crossbow like a conventional bow. Do most of you guys just hunt off the ground or do you still hunt from a tree stand?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 11-26-2014, 09:17 PM

Re: tree stand or off the ground

Tree for me. I sometimes hunt on the ground.

Here is the thing. Although a crossbow does not have to be drawn, you still have to hold it at the shoulder as you wait for a shot. They are front heavy and not at all easy to hold at the ready for any length of time. Getting busted as you shift around or have to lower to relax is also part of the game with crossbows.

If the shot does not come fast and you have to wait, I have been busted many times having to relax and give my arms a rest.

If using a stand with a shooting rail, it changes the game, obviously.

I support all hunters, regardless of weapon or technique!
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 11-26-2014, 09:58 PM

I hunt in a ground blind.Have a couple stands though,perhaps I should put them up.It has nothing to do with drawing a string back though.I like being at the same level as the animal for the close up effect.I get them inside 10 without a blind in blaze orange.Timing of a shot is key on the ground,you have to know when they can see you.If they see you draw a bow,raise a crossbow or rifle,well it is the hunters fault no matter what weapon is used.I have sat in blaze orange and touched a couple deer as they walked past.Don't really care if anybody believes it either.

Bob Seger,till it shines.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 11-27-2014, 06:16 AM

tree stands

Never Misses
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 11-27-2014, 11:11 AM
Banned

Both on the ground and in a tree for me. I hunt mostly areas with 40 yrd or less visibility so it's nice to be elevated a bit. If it's really windy i'm on the ground out of the wind somewhere. Be careful shooting at something coming from behind you. You must give the crossbow enough room from the tree or you may wack it with the bow limbs. With a conventional bow you can shoot around the tree and behind you more easily.
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 11-28-2014, 03:14 PM
Part of the Community

95 percent treestand but I will hunt on the ground a couple times a year when they are rutting good. I use natural cover and a grunt tube/ doe bleat rustle the leaves. No response just change location. Got my buck this year after grunting 3 times and rustling the leaves. Barely had time to pick up my bow and he was on me giving me a nice 12 yard broadside shot. I'm telling ya this works i have done it many times.
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 11-28-2014, 08:10 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

More treestand than ground but if wind is good it doesn't matter. The big buck I got 2 weeks ago on the ground was 20 feet behind me and I let him go past 15 yards before I shot him. Wind was in my favor and I was 3/4 hidden behind rock wall which concealed some movement. My biggest buck ever.
In one of our spots I have sat on the ground in a tangle if grapevines on a chair. Took at least 6 doe out of that spot. Same property about 50 yards away I have a ladder stand,have shot 4-5 doe with bad wind out of that stand. Passed on several small rack bucks there as well. Can't explain why they didn't run with the bad wind
As long as you can conceal movement to some degree and the wind is in your favor ,ground hunting is up close and personal .
Spring turkey hunting I have had deer literally walk up and sniff boots,trot off, circle around then they catch your wind, off they go. Now why can't they do that during archery?

"Lazy people think of the easy way to do the hard stuff"
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-10-2014, 12:14 AM
Super Moderator

A little of both

My name is Moss and i'm a turkey huntin' addict

I'm itchin' to see a red fox twitchin!
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-21-2014, 03:16 AM
The Man

What a tremendous respect I have obtained this year for the archery hunter...I have started archery hunting again and haven't done it for well over 30 years... way back when when hunters use English Long Bow not compounds.. Just joking of course.. I used a recurve when I did hunt archery a long time ago.. I'm using a XBOW and I can see why in many hunting terrain situations you have to take to the trees and or a blind... I recently purchased a Ghost Blind and will use it in 2015 for turkeys, deer, and of course day time predator hunting.. Yes by all means you should take to the trees or hunt from a blind... It's more humane for the game too...that's what it's all about doing the best you can when you hunt. IMO tree or blind is a must.
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-21-2014, 12:13 PM
The Man

All my life I've hunted deer from climbing stands in all seasons; archery, firearms and ML.

That said, now that I'm getting older and my mobility is impaired by COPD, I find it difficult to carry myself around, let alone a crossbow, a stand and assorted paraphernalia, so I find myself sitting on the ground more and more.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page