school me on xbows - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 24 (permalink) Old 11-22-2014, 04:36 PM Thread Starter

school me on xbows

So...dad helped me out a ton and now that I have a real job I'd like to "pay him back".

He's talked about buying a crossbow for a long while...just never has..

He used to bow hunt in his younger days...I think he just doesn't like climbing trees...with a crossbow he can sit on the ground..

Problem is I know NOTHING about crossbows...

Like everything else the sky seems to be the limit...

I see all different designs..compound limbs..recurve limbs..short limbs..long limbs...a couple hundred bucks and in to the thousands..

I don't mind spending money if it's for a better product..I want him to be setup with a deer killing setup..something he will enjoy and won't give him fits...something that doesn't require much special knowledge or tinkering if that's possible..he's the guy with short patience and no tolerance for something that doesn't work when he wants it too..I've seen him throw a weedwacker over the fence because it wouldn't run lol...

Any info is greatly appreciated.. Figured I need to research before i buy and this is a great place to start..

Thanx!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 24 (permalink) Old 11-22-2014, 05:38 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

Re: school me on xbows

Start with your budget $. Then handle all the xbows and you will find a lot do not feel balanced. The front end is heavy and pulls down when aiming. Everybody has their favorite brand. Most are good products. Stay away from super cheap off brands. Some straight limbs are almost as fast as camed bows with no moving parts. Will dad be in a blind or brush?,then consider a short limb for clearance.I have an older Parker with a more full length rifle stock butt. I am liking the new adjustable stocks with pistol grips like an AR.Adjustable stock in heavy cover has its advantages when moving.Same with early season clothes vs. winter clothes bulk. Any good bow shop will help with all the particulars. Stay away if they push the $1000+ as the best choice or only choice. Good luck and dad will sure be proud of any bow you get him

"Lazy people think of the easy way to do the hard stuff"
post #3 of 24 (permalink) Old 11-22-2014, 07:03 PM

Tenpoint Stealth with the accudraw.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 24 (permalink) Old 11-22-2014, 07:26 PM

My advice is to go with either a compound in the Tenpoint/Wicked Ridge line or Excalibur for recurves. BOth companies have great customer service if you ever do have a problem.

From the way you describe your Dad it sounds like an Excalibur would be his best bet. No cams to go out of time and you can change strings yourself.

I would give Arrowhead a call on here as he would be able to get you setup. He won't sell you stuff you don't need and will give you a custom package of what you want.

Traditions only last if you pass them down to your kids!
post #5 of 24 (permalink) Old 11-22-2014, 08:37 PM

Hard to beat Excaliburs new Matrix series for reliability and ease of use. No cam timing issues, easy maintenance, and lighter up front. The 380 is screaming fast. The 355 or 330 are darn nice bows that are easier to cock.

Not sure how your dads shoulders and hands are but the Matrix series get their speeds from very high draw weights. They can be tough to cock for some. Excalibur makes a nice crank cocker that may be needed depending on your dads strength. I would also recommend picking up a stringing aid so that you can twist and change strings with ease to keep the right brace height.

The only negative, IMO, is they are loud. That is more of a issue for the hunter than the deer though. These bows are fast which helps to compensate for them being loud.

Compound crossbows are much quieter and get their speeds with much less draw weight making them easier to cock. The downside is increased maintenance and front end heft. I would recommend TenPoint and Wicked Ridge.

Upgrading your arrows and optics is often times done as well and most are sold as packages. The Excalibur optics are poor, IMO. TenPoints are OK but there are better options out there. The same with the arrows.

Forum sponsor Arrowhead will often times swap out factory stuff for better stuff and only charge you the difference in price plus throw in some goodies. He also makes custom arrows for each specific bow. I would heavily recommend buying from a dealer that sells crossbows because they are into crossbows, not because they just are legal.

Good luck!

I support all hunters, regardless of weapon or technique!
post #6 of 24 (permalink) Old 11-22-2014, 09:20 PM

You may want to check out the new Micro Excalibur as well. It is 335 fps and is even smaller than the Matrix Line. I haven't got my hands on one yet, but from what they are saying they are pretty nice. Supposed to be quieter than the Matrix Lineup as well.

Traditions only last if you pass them down to your kids!
post #7 of 24 (permalink) Old 11-23-2014, 10:14 AM
Diehard Outdoorsman

Quote:
Originally Posted by cspot
My advice is to go with either a compound in the Tenpoint/Wicked Ridge line or Excalibur for recurves. BOth companies have great customer service if you ever do have a problem.

From the way you describe your Dad it sounds like an Excalibur would be his best bet. No cams to go out of time and you can change strings yourself.

I would give Arrowhead a call on here as he would be able to get you setup. He won't sell you stuff you don't need and will give you a custom package of what you want.
Agree.

Some more info after going to a crossbow after 45 years of shooting recurve and compounds.

When hunting bolts have been hard to find for me after the shot. Took five shots from treestands and did not find 3 of the bolts, one of those had a ten point omni nock. Took one shot from ground and bolt shattered in two places after hitting deer, lighted omini nock was missing. Believe I might have hit the leg bone dead center and arrow shattered when caught on tree/brush when it bolted. Bolts for the vapor I bought are only 20" in length and they seem to get buried almost completely on most shots.

Ten point warranty requires you to use their omni nocks on the narrow width crossbow like the Vapor. The regular omin nocks are great, but the lighted version are of poor design in my opinion.

You will need a good target to stop the bolts.

Decide your budget limit for complete set up and then give arrowhead a call. Maybe, take your Dad down there to shoot a few and then go from there.

UNITED WE STAND! NRA LIFE MEMBER
post #8 of 24 (permalink) Old 11-23-2014, 12:09 PM Thread Starter

Wow!! Awesome stuff guys!! Thanx!

I like the looks of the Excalibur Micro...that just might fit the bill perfectly...small...light...recurve limbs so it should be lower maintenance..

I don't think limb width would be a big issue...I picture dad just sitting at the base of a tree or in a tree top or whatever..not in a blind or busting brush or anything..

Speed isn't a big deal...I don't see him even wanting to shoot passed 20-25 maybe 30yds..

The biggest thing is it just has to work lol...the weedwacker story is 100% true lol..

He's talked about getting into flintlock hunting too..especially after I started piling them up with the rocklock...I just cannot see him and a flintlock getting along lol..the first misfire and he'd wrap it around a tree or leave it in the woods! One spring turkey season it was raining...his box call was wet and sounded horrible...instead of realizing it was because it was wet he chucked it into the brush lol...

I really don't have a budget...Its a gift but also a "repayment". I'm not looking to rush out and buy...just doing my homework so I can get an idea of what might be best so I can make smart decisions while I am shopping..

I think he'd love it...his buddy started crossbow hunting this season and killed a good buck and I archery hunt...we could take trips to camp together..
post #9 of 24 (permalink) Old 11-23-2014, 12:48 PM

Excalibur Matrix Micro!
post #10 of 24 (permalink) Old 11-23-2014, 05:12 PM
Frequent Contributor

I just started to look also and saw the Excalibur Micro.Did not have time to shoot it but hope to soon.Guy at shop says that would be the one he would buy next and is an awesome x-bow.He was currently using a 10 point x-bow.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page