Crossbow hunting from a treestand. - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 21 (permalink) Old 10-20-2014, 10:08 PM Thread Starter
Diehard Outdoorsman

Crossbow hunting from a treestand.

Well, I'm having shoulder issues (recurring impingement syndrome and a bone spur in my bow arm shoulder) and I'm thinking my days of hunting with a vertical bow may soon be drawing to a close. I am starting the process of investigating buying a crossbow. One concern I have is that I hunt exclusively from a climbing tree stand (a Summit Viper to be more specific) and have some concerns about the maneuverability of a crossbow in my tree stand. I'm looking at a compact limb design like a Ten Point. Any thoughts, experiences, helpful hints, etc. you can share would be greatly appreciated.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 21 (permalink) Old 10-20-2014, 10:25 PM

Re: Crossbow hunting from a treestand.

It is different. Probably the biggest thing is shooting behind the stand is pretty difficult unless you can lean out from the tree. Other than that there isn't much difference.

If you are looking at Tenpoint I would look at the Stealth SS or the Shadow Ultra-lite. Of course since you won't be hunting with it this year, you can wait until after Feb and see what the new bows are. The other thing is if you need a crank the Tenpoint accudraw is the best hands down.

Traditions only last if you pass them down to your kids!
post #3 of 21 (permalink) Old 10-20-2014, 10:37 PM

Welcome to the world of crossbows. I also hunt a lot from treestands, rather small portable treestands. One things that is rapidly changing is the length and width of crossbows, which is a great thing for hunters using them. There are getting much narrower and that is certainly a asset when hunting from trees. If a limb hit the tree when shooting, the force can impart some serious harm to the hunter. The larger the diameter of the trunk, the more this comes into play. On smaller trees, you can lean and get the limbs beyond the trunk for shots to the rear. Is it a huge handicap? Not with most of todays bows but it is something to consider.

You are wise to look at TenPoint and their XLT(extreme limb technology)limbs. Very narrow when cocked. Mission is also making some very nice and narrow crossbows.

You may want to look at what TenPoint does with Horton. They bought the name and the rights to some of their technologies when Horton folded. It is anticipated that they will introduce and reverse draw crossbow at the ATA in January. Currently Barnett and Scorpyd make reverse draws but the Scorpyd comes in at $1500. The new Horton reverse draw may be the most anticipated crossbows in years.

Reverse draws offer many advantages over conventional limb models and I prefer them for that reason. They are the best balancing, most maneuverable, and quietest crossbows on the market, IMO.

Just as with vertical bows, I would try to shoot them before buying them. What feels great to one person feels horrible to others. Also, cock them. There are great differences in how some bows cock. Some are easy and some are not so much.

If you are in the market next spring, I will have a lightly used TenPoint Vapor for sale.

Good luck and have fun in your search.

I support all hunters, regardless of weapon or technique!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 21 (permalink) Old 10-20-2014, 10:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dpms
If a limb hit the tree when shooting, the force can impart some serious harm to the hunter.
Yep always a concern of mine. If I remember correctly a fellow member on here had it happen and I believe it knocked him out of the stand.

Traditions only last if you pass them down to your kids!
post #5 of 21 (permalink) Old 10-20-2014, 11:24 PM

+1 on the Tenpoint XLT series.

The older I get, the stronger gravity becomes.
post #6 of 21 (permalink) Old 10-21-2014, 10:17 AM

one thing i noticed when i first used my xbow from my climber….my climber has the bar around you like the summits. a couple years ago i shot at a squirrel. then when i went to reload my xbow, i could barely get it cocked. the location of the safety bar of the stand made it very hard to do. you may want to practice this. you have to lean out over the bar and cock the string. hard to explain but it is quite difficult.
post #7 of 21 (permalink) Old 10-25-2014, 09:48 PM
Hooked on HuntingPa

I use a Summit Viper myself and use a Parker Thunderhawk. A fairly narrow xbow. You will have no problem. Yes, recocking and shooting at a hard angle behind you can be problematic but not impossible. What you give up you also gain in other areas. I made a shot 2 years ago at my buck that I would have never been able to make with my bow. Complicated to explain but a bend, lean, twist shot that wasn't happening with my compound.
It's all good!
post #8 of 21 (permalink) Old 10-26-2014, 12:20 AM
Hooked on HuntingPa

Comparing dollar for dollar value go with Carbor Exbress Covert I think mine is 14" cocked, and way cheaper then the over priced Tenpoints.

Scentblocker Advisory Member
Birchwood Casey Advisory Member
Wild Ear Advisory Member
post #9 of 21 (permalink) Old 10-26-2014, 01:01 AM
Diehard Outdoorsman

I did smaller and cheaper for stand and now blind. The Buck Commander is a tad unweildy sitting in a tree. My Barnett Raptor FX is 16" axle to axle uncocked, and 12" axle to axle cocked, so right at 14" wide to the limb tips when loaded up. And will cock in the stand without issues.

Came as a package from Gander Mt. 160 lb. 340 fps and weighs 6.5 lbs. Nice IR scope like a Hawke XB SR reticle, claw type sling, rope cocker, bolts and quiver. On sale for $399.99 and a $50.00 off 250 or more special online. So $349.99 plus tax.

Small and lightweight for in a treestand or pop-up blind, or even stalking. Shoots NAP Kill Zone XBow 100gr on 20" Headhunters the same POI as field points.

“There is Truth in the Old Saying, That if you make yourself a Sheep, the Wolves will eat you.”
Benjamin Franklin, 1773
post #10 of 21 (permalink) Old 10-26-2014, 12:02 PM
Hooked on HuntingPa

I have used a Horton out of a climber, hang on, and ladder stands. No issues other than shooting behind the tree I was in. You have to be comfortable relying on your harness and leaning out away from the tree.
I use a Summit Open shot climber and can cock the xbow when I am in the tree, but it is a little awkward.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page