Broadhead suggestions for new crossbow. - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-02-2014, 08:10 PM Thread Starter
Hooked on HuntingPa

Broadhead suggestions for new crossbow.

Hey fellas, im looking for some information about broadheads for my crossbow.

I recently purchased an excalibur axiom, which mite i add is a tremendous bargain for the money spent! This thing will put the bolts into the same hole all day long!

This bow is on the slower side of most out there, right around 305-310 fps with a 125grn head. I always used 100grn heads but this crossbow came from the factory with the scope set up for 150grn heads, i went down to 125s thinking it would add a few fps, and still give decent penetration. Im not even sure i would have had enough down adjustment in the scope for 100grn heads as the top turret is screwed down pretty far with the 125s.

Ill prbly be changeing the scope in the future to accomodate 100gr tips, but for now i have it shooting excelent. I am wanting to use an expandible for better flight, i have used the grim reapers in the past with great results out of my compound and am thinking of picking a pack up for this crossbow. Has anyone used these with a crossbow? How did they work? I would considder a fixed blade head but would like it to shoot the same as my practice tip, any suggestions on this? I archery hunted for years but the only "high tech" head i have ever used is the reapers and im not super familiar with whats out there and how they all perform, thanks for any input.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-02-2014, 08:23 PM

Re: Broadhead suggestions for new crossbow.

How's your current FOC percentage?

My wife's crossbow saw a marked improvement in accuracy with heavier field points and broadheads. I've also noticed better penetration with the heavier tips. But, with the yardages she shoots at, I'm not terribly concerned about the loss in initial velocity and poorer trajectory.

WMU 3A
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-02-2014, 09:13 PM
JGR

Your bow do as you like, but speaking from experience use the Boltcutters. You will be pleased with the 150's. And they come with practice tips of the same weight. Going lighter just makes it hit with less kinetic energy. And the speed you gain will be marginal.

JR
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-02-2014, 10:22 PM

If your arrows have aluminum inserts up front, I would stick with 125 grain heads and up. Brass inserts, 100 grains work well.

As far as broadheads. Your Excalibur should love Grim Reapers, Spitfires, Swhackers, Wasp Jakhammers, Ulmer Edges. I have shot them all out of my Excalibur.

I have gotten great flight from G5 Strikers, Slick Tricks, Razor Tricks, and Ramcats for fixed heads.

I support all hunters, regardless of weapon or technique!
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-02-2014, 10:48 PM
The Man

X2 for the Boltcutters
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-02-2014, 10:59 PM
BBB
Frequent Contributor

Ram Cats Love them !!!!
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-02-2014, 11:42 PM
Hooked on HuntingPa

My vote is for Ramcats as well!
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-03-2014, 03:10 PM
Hooked on HuntingPa

I have a Wicked Ridge Invader which is about the samefps as yours. Grim Reaper xbow heads have performed very well for me. The damage is unreal and for the overwhelming majority of them it's been like the package claimed-"Watch 'em drop."

Good luck to you.
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-03-2014, 10:49 PM
Hooked on HuntingPa

I always like to use the Rage Crossbow X broadheads. I always use them with my crossbow. For a second choice, maybe Grim Reapers.

I will never understand why people can be so blinded by a liar.
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-03-2014, 11:02 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

I have a Ibex which is basically the same bow as yours. last year I shot Rage 125gr crossbow heads, they shot the same as my field points.

Like you I was worried about penetration and blade deployment. long story short, the deer I shot last year was quartering away and the bolt went in behind the rib cage and came half way out just behind the opposite front leg, I can't be sure, if both blades opened because I couldn't find the front half of the bolt, but the entrance and exit holes weren't as large as I would have expected.

This year I decided to use fixed blade 125gr Thunderheads, but I did have to adjust the scope because they don't hit the same POI as my practice heads.

Only fools fight in a burning house...Day of the dove

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page