Barnett Recruit range day - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-22-2014, 11:57 AM Thread Starter

Barnett Recruit range day

I said never but I did purchase the Recruit cross bow the other day to get back into archery hunting.The compound bow I just had the pass on,I been bow hunting for 40 plus years but do to a few more herniated disc both high and low the days of bow hunting has been on the back burner the last 3years.
I wanted a entry level bow and for 249.00 it was a decent price.I did assembly it on Friday night and tried it on Saturday at the gun.
The range has 2 different target a block and a bag target: I did choose the bag target I set the target up at 10 yards double checked point of impact line of sight looking threw the red dot scope and let the arrow fly nice center of target about 4 to 5' high.
I now pushed the target back to 15 and 25 yards again center about 2" high at the 25 yard.I did not change or move the turrets on the red dot .I need to see what the other 2 dots will do I just may see were the arrow starts to drop at what distance.I am not crazy about the red dot scope seem to have a glare inside the tube dots are clear.
The trigger breaks like glass and I did shorten the cocking rope about 2" no need to pull above the waist line .Now I need to set the broad heads up to see if they fly like the target bolts.
I also checked the tiller on the limbs and the cams are sitting the same upper and lower,bow is quite and the arrow fly straight
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-22-2014, 02:10 PM

Re: Barnett Recruit range day

The Recruit is a nice little bow for sure. It should serve you well. The factory optic is pretty crappy. I would upgrade that.

I support all hunters, regardless of weapon or technique!
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-22-2014, 02:13 PM Thread Starter

any idea which scope to purchase I am not looking for a high dollar scope I here tru-glo is decent hawk scope out of my budget for now
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-22-2014, 03:11 PM

I like Hawkes but their basic crossbow scope is about $85 bucks. I have owned several TruGlos and they always were fine for me, considering the price. You might check with forum sponsor Arrowhead. He may have some lightly used or even new scopes laying around that were swapped off of bows that he is looking to unload.

post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-22-2014, 09:50 PM
Frequent Contributor

We just bought one, too.
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-22-2014, 11:52 PM Thread Starter

I like to ask another question what do you guys do to DE-cock the bow when returning to camp.I read in n.y.s. you must have the bow un-cocked for transport.I will be on private land also have my quad to get back to camp.I think the best way is to make a small 12x12 target and shoot the bolt into the box.
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-22-2014, 11:56 PM

Rinehart and Morrell both make inexpensive discharge targets to use at camp or truck. If you have some old arrows you can also just shoot into the ground.

Like dpms said Hawke makes a pretty good inexpensive scope and they even have a lifetime warranty. Arrowhead would be a good guy to call. I bought a used Hawke off of him before.

Traditions only last if you pass them down to your kids!
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-23-2014, 12:08 AM

Many target manufacturers make small discharge targets just for this reason.

There are also discharge arrows out there designed with grabber tips to shoot into the ground and not penetrate. Octane and Carbon Express both make discharge arrows. I have used the Octane Thug discharge arrow and like it quite a bit.

post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-23-2014, 08:46 AM

I bought my daughter one back in Feb. This is my first experience with a crossbow. It is shooting dead on with the first dot sighted in at 20yds. The second dot is dead on at 30 and the third is on at 47yds. I don't know why the third is not on at 40 but thats what it ended up as. My uncle has one and it is the same but his last dot is on at 50, must be the way the factory set them. My daughter likes the red dot over a crosshair so we will stay with it. I wish someone could make a 3 dot scope with individual adjusting dots and a 2-4x magnification.

All that has to happen now is a deer walk into range and she will do the rest.

A squakin' turkey don't live long
post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-24-2014, 02:02 PM

Our recruit came with the scope, now I see most are red dot.

Perfect xbow for us, have shot numerous models but the Recruit's weight balance and small size fit every member of the family.

SSgt USAF 2004-2010

If you want peace, prepare for war.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page