Not as good of a day as others - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-17-2010, 02:43 AM Thread Starter
Hooked on HuntingPa

Not as good of a day as others

I figured I would go out for a 1 or 2 this morning before my kids soccer games. At about 8:10 as I am about to get out of my ladder stand for the 9:30 game, I see the big boy stepping out onto the 4 wheeler path at about 70 yards. It turns to go away from me as course. I am not a big users of calls but I have it with so I give 3 soft social grunts and he stopps and starts to angles back toward me thru the brush. Comes out on the path at about 34 steps. Had the hawke crosshairs on him and heard the rage 2 blade thud. About 45 minutes later no arrow and no blood! So I called my father in law and 4C to help me. In the mean time I found blood about 25 yards away. A few drops and than 2 puddles taht looked like some body spilled a drink.
We started our track at about 10:30, We would follow pencil size drips, smears on trees, soemtimes little puddles(6-10 quarter size drops)darker red blood. The deer never laid down and basicly went straight out the mt. not up or down. At about 2:30 we lost blood (maybe 400-550 yards from shot). I went straight out, Father in law down, and 4C up the mt. About 80 yards away 4c found blood, some better blood. We followed this down and out the mt for about another 300-400 yards. This is where we found the bolt ( still in attack, rage missing 1 blade). The both and last blood was about 300yards staright out from where we lost blood eariler.
So here come my questions
Why was there not more boold once the bolt came out?
Do you think the deer went staight and the blood we followed to the bolt was actually going the wrong way?
Where do you think this deer was hit ( we beleive I hit the shoulder blade and sent arrow down in No mans land?
We never had a ton of blood but had blood for a long way, think he will die or make it?

any help or advice would be appreciated

GOD is GREAT, BEER is GOOD, & PEOPLE are CRAZY
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-17-2010, 12:16 PM

Re: Not as good of a day as others

It is odd that the deer did not bed if you waited two hours to track him. I would figure the deer would bed if the shot was a mortal wound and was not pushed right away.

I support all hunters, regardless of weapon or technique!
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-17-2010, 12:31 PM
Hooked on HuntingPa

Sounds like a typical shoulder shot. I doubt the deer is going to die, considering how far as you tracked him.
The better blood 4c found was probably because the deer slowed to a walk.
The bolt being in a moving joint was keeping the blood flowing.

How much penatration did you get ??
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-17-2010, 12:41 PM
Banned

If you don't find it in 100 yards wasn't a heart or lung shot best to back out come back later 4 to 6 hours. If it's a gut shot or liver shot it will die but if you push it you may never find it. I have tracked 3 deer this year with people 2 the front legs were hit and we saw them days later,the third back leg hit bad yesterday I don't think this one will make it but not because of loss of blood. These guys swore they were vital hits if you don't find it in 100 yards not a heart or lung shot. The guys shooting were 2 with compounds one with xbow not to start a debate on what guys use. It's AMAZING how guys after tracking for long distances still can't except it was not a good hit. Just venting I don't know the above circumstances not directed to the poster above.
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-17-2010, 12:54 PM
Hooked on HuntingPa

It wasn't a gut or liver shot, or else the the bolt would have passed through. But yeah, It's always better to wait 4 to 6 hours before even starting to track, especialy when you have no clue where you hit it.
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-17-2010, 08:51 PM

this was by far the most intensive and unnerving trail i've ever tried to follow. This thing never showed whether it was hit good or bad. Never bedded, showed no sign of being jumped by us, just had his mind set after being hit and took off in his predetermined direction. No sign of a gut shot, so taking up the trail after 2hrs was fine and justified. Low Shoulder to brisket shot is my best guess as there was white hair on the broadhead. This deer is still on the hoof and I think either you or trapperdan will be seeing him again sometime...that is if he doesn't pass under my stand first Get back out there and for god's sake, take the compound, you'd have gotten more energy at that distance with it!!!! Call me anytime you need help, it was a good day out, regardless of the circumstances.

4C
Patron Life Member NRA
Life Member NAHC
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-17-2010, 09:30 PM
Frequent Contributor

Same thing happened to me on Tuesday. Had a decent buck come out at 32 yards. I was sitting in my blind and had a slightly elevated shot. I heard the shot make a loud "thwack" so I knew I had made contact. I waited about 20 minutes before getting out my blind. I found the first 3/4 of the bolt about about 15 yds on the other side of the deer that I had shot at. It had blood and dark hair on it. I found a leaf with a little blood on it. I went back to camp to get my son and better flashlilghts. We spent 1/2 hour and no more blood. We came back the next morning at daylight. We found drops of blood on leaves nothing heavy. Some times we would run out and back track and then find another few drops. About 200 yds into the track my son found the back end of the bolt. A few feet away we found "good" blood probably where he stood after he pulled the bolt out. About 50 yds from there we found the first bed. Some blood in it mostly at the top of the nest. Figure he didn't stay there long though as the leaves were not really compacted. Spent another 5 hours looking and never found anymore blood.Must have hit high in the shoulder. Can only hope he makes it. Was telling a guy about it the next day and he said his wife last year hit one high in the shoulder. Never found it but His neighbor got it in rifle season. They could see where the arrow had gone through it and it was healed over. Hope mine is as lucky
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-18-2010, 12:39 AM
Frequent Contributor

I'll look around tomorrow Fearnot4me, I'll let ya know if we find him, or take him later in the season. Good chance he'll be in my area for awhile,

Wish i was home Saturday I would have helped you and 4C look for him. I know that area pretty good,

Dan
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-18-2010, 01:03 AM Thread Starter
Hooked on HuntingPa

i went back out today for about 4 hours, tring to back track and look for anything we missed. The best I can figure is like said earlier a shoulder blade and deflected thru the brisket. Hopefully he makes it and somebody gets him rather than the yotes.
Good luck the rest of the season!

GOD is GREAT, BEER is GOOD, & PEOPLE are CRAZY
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 10-18-2010, 01:26 AM
Frequent Contributor

You too, knock him down next time, so how big was he, points spread, might have been the one I was after,

Dan

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page