Connected on this Bruiser 10 Point. details added - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 32 (permalink) Old 10-17-2010, 12:50 AM Thread Starter
Hooked on HuntingPa

Connected on this Bruiser 10 Point. details added

i'll add commentary in a little, just got back from taking him to the Taxidermist.

details:

Well, i wasn't really planning on going out hunting today, but something told me to go and get my license Friday and get into the woods on today. For the past month i have been working to help get "Castle Doctrine" Passed in the state house and senate, that is finally looking like it will happen on Nov. 8th.

I went to Delmont Sport Shop yesterday and bought my license and archery stamp, picked up a small bottle of Kirschners Silver Top and some Scent Away spray. Normally i would have had this all done before the season opened, but i want an expansion of our self defense laws.

today i was up at 4:30 and out the door by 5:15. got into my ladder stand around 6:00, long before i could make anything out on the ground. at first light i had two small Doe come off the hill to my right at a fast trot. 5 minutes later, here comes a little 4 point tailing them. i watched them for about 10 minutes and they disappeared around the hill.

about an hour later i heard a Doe Bleat and turned in time to see a Doe trotting with her head and tail down going toward where the other deer went. time ticked by uneventfully until i was startled by a loud splash behind my stand in the crick. here was a little Doe playing in the water. i wish i had a camera/video camera for that. while i watched her, i heard a loud crash off to my left, so i turned to try and make out what made that noise.

I had the sun shining in my face and it was glinting off the leaves in the direction of the crash. the hillside that the crash came from was still hidden in shadow and very hard to make anything out. I then spotted a Squirrel making his way along the hillside. at this my adrenaline subsided some when all of the sudden i heard a branch snap again on that hillside. i looked and looked trying to make out any movement and that's when i saw the antlers of this buck move.

My heart started racing as i could tell this was a nice buck. he slowly made his way toward me and at that point i could see another buck right behind him. this buck was just as big as the first one. I brought the crossbow up as the first buck approached a shooting lane. he stopped perfectly broadside in the lane. i put the crosshair behind the shoulder and touched off the shot. I thought i had missed cause he didn't move when i shot, but kinda looked startled cause the bolt hit a stone on the other side of him and ricocheted somewhere where i'll never find it. He then took a couple quick steps turned around and that's when i saw the blood pouring out of his left side. he never took another step and collapsed right there.

The other buck ran back the way they came as i let out a YEA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Scream through the valley. for 2 seasons now injury has prevented me from using my Compound so i have to use a Crossbow. this is the 2nd buck in two years with this setup.

Needless to say i had no tracking what so ever. but i did have to call a couple buddys to help me get the deer out of the woods. the time was 9:00 on the dot as i called my wife and dad to let them know they had to come out and help field dress this deer. We estimated the weight of the deer to be about 225 live weight as we have 157 pounds of venison with only the hind quarter bones still intact. everything else has been de boned.

my setup was a Tenpoint Stealth X2 with 2219 aluminum bolts and Muzzy 3 blade 125 grain broadheads. the shot was 25 yards and he expired only 5 yards from where i hit him.

These Photos do nothing to show the main beam length, it comes out 3-4 inches past his nose.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 32 (permalink) Old 10-17-2010, 12:56 AM

Re: Connected on this Bruiser this morning.

Super buck!! Love the crab claws on both beams. Looking forward to the details.

I support all hunters, regardless of weapon or technique!
post #3 of 32 (permalink) Old 10-17-2010, 12:56 AM
Hooked on HuntingPa

wtg..congrats
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 32 (permalink) Old 10-17-2010, 01:27 AM
Hooked on HuntingPa

Nice job
post #5 of 32 (permalink) Old 10-17-2010, 01:27 AM
Sage

Nice buck.

Good luck in the buck pool!

Is your position a short term gain - or a long term loss? Separate the issues.
post #6 of 32 (permalink) Old 10-17-2010, 01:28 AM
Diehard Outdoorsman

Well done.

Matthew 22:37-40
post #7 of 32 (permalink) Old 10-17-2010, 01:36 AM
Frequent Contributor

nice job

A smile is like tight underwear ... it makes your cheeks go up
post #8 of 32 (permalink) Old 10-17-2010, 01:52 AM
Part of the Community

Awesome Buck! Congrads.
post #9 of 32 (permalink) Old 10-17-2010, 01:57 AM
Diehard Outdoorsman

Great deer!

Huntin Bucks and Crushin Ducks
post #10 of 32 (permalink) Old 10-17-2010, 02:15 AM

Well done. Nice story and great buck!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page