Looking for Advice - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-15-2010, 09:40 PM Thread Starter
Hooked on HuntingPa

Looking for Advice

I have a property that I hunt that I know has great hunting. The guy who hunted it before me shot several P and Y bucks on it. This is my first year hunting it, he had exclusive access before me( not a lease). I have been watching the fields and have observed several shooter bucks in it and lots of doe. Due to access the prevailing wind blow from my access point and hunting area to the bedding area. I typically ground hunt and have been waiting for the right day, wind and conditions to get in there. Now I have never shot any deer with my crossbow, I have passed on doe and have had alot of close calls on bucks, but have not sealed the deal. I have been seeing a large buck, but could be sure of exact size up until tonight. I watched him for about 10 minutes in the field tonight and got a good look. He is by far the largest buck I have ever seen in person and could be the buck of a lifetime. Being that i know exactly were he is tonight I want to try to hunt him tomorrow. The problem is the wind will be wrong and I don't want to get busted from the ground. I am going to cabelas to get a climbing stand, however i have never hunted from one, not sure if there is a tree in the area that I can climb and being a ground hunter primarily, I have never shot from a tree stand before. What would you do? De-scent and hunt the ground, where you are sure of your shooting, buy a stand and shoot a few shots to adjust scope prior to hunt, or buy stand to have for future use and wait until everything lines up to get after him? Secondary question, do the arc range finders work accurately to range from tree stands? I am determined to get after this buck now as I could not stomach the thought of him getting hit by a car, also once the rut starts, there is no telling where he will end up? Thanks in advance for any advice. I am going to get a stand now anyway because I know i will use it and don't want to be in this position again.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-15-2010, 09:54 PM
The Man

Re: Looking for Advice

If you are the only one hunting it wait for the right wind
to hunt it. Or control your scent the best you can and get
in early to let the area calm down and find a spot on the
ground where you are out of the wind.

I'd rather be fishing or hunting!
Youth Chairman of Chapter 803 PF, NEPA.
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-15-2010, 10:00 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

Give the deer more time you have the entire archery season left.Bucks do not start leaving his area until maybe Nov.1. You could get yourself a climber and practice with it in a different area.The ARC rangefinders are nice but I have not used mine in a treestand.If you are not familiar with shooting out of a treestand with very little practice I would just hunt from the ground.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-15-2010, 10:09 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

Quote:
Originally Posted by burk313
Give the deer more time you have the entire archery season left.Bucks do not start leaving his area until maybe Nov.1. You could get yourself a climber and practice with it in a different area.The ARC rangefinders are nice but I have not used mine in a treestand.If you are not familiar with shooting out of a treestand with very little practice I would just hunt from the ground.
+1!!! This sounds like good advice to me

Huntin Bucks and Crushin Ducks
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-17-2010, 02:57 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

I'd not start learning how to climb and hunt a tree stand now when you have spotted your trophy buck.

Proper tree stand techniques are not easily learned. Simple thinks like what tree, what side, how to sit there so you can get a shot, and most important with a climber, how NOT to make noise. Also Treestands have new safety issues.

Over the years I've owned and use 10+ treestands, and shot my trophy buck this year from one. But most of the time, I have found ground blinds superior. But like tree stands, ground blinds must be placed and used properly to be effective. I've had dozens of deer come within feeet of my ground blinds.

I'd stay with your ground blind.
If you can take offf the day and get in hours before he is expected, you might not have a secent problem.

This is not the time to be learning
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-17-2010, 03:14 PM
The Man

If the wind isn't right you can still get busted from a climber tree stand....even if you are "scent free". NEVER hunt a stand on the wrong wind, even if you have to wait 3 weeks. Bucks don't get that big by being stupid If there are does in the area, he will stick around.

If the hay is layed..a yote will be slayed
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-17-2010, 09:17 PM
JGR

Shooting angles change from tree stands. You need practice to shoot an animal from a tree. You have a greater chance of missing, or worse, wounding and loseing this animal with no practice from a tree. Stay on the ground until you get practice.

JR
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-17-2010, 09:52 PM
Part of the Community

I agree now is not the time to be messing around with a new climber. There are too many variables that go into using a climber. Buy it, practice with it until you are 100% comfortable using it. One last thing, make sure you spend the extra money and get a safety harness. Good Luck to ya!
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-17-2010, 10:13 PM

if your going to hunt from a tree make sure your high if your over 15 feet your shot will change i go 25 to 35 feet people say im nuts but i kill alot of deer from being up and out of sight
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 10-17-2010, 10:57 PM Thread Starter
Hooked on HuntingPa

Well I didn't try to rush and hunt him yesterday. Like stated by others, with the doe in the area I don't think he will be going anywhere. Also all the neighboring properties are not huntable. All the huntable property I have access to along with 5 other guys. We know where each other hunt and stay out of each others hair. My only concerns are cars, I have seen him on both sides of a major highway, and trespassers. Regarding some of the posts, I do understand the safety concerns with tree stands and have a HSS harness also two retractable tree belts. Many of the other suggestions have more to do with hunting skills than tree stand skills. Accuracy and shot placement are paramount whether you are in a tree or on the ground. Regardless of where or what you are hunting shot placement is the most important skill any hunter can have. I did buy a climber but will probably not use it for this location, and may not use it at all until I am proficient at climbing with it. There is an old ladder stand in place which was put in buy a guy who shot the other big buck on the property. It has not been used in three plus years and is extremely rusty. It is within 50 yards of where I have seen this buck on two different nights. I am planning to install a hang on stand in this tree this week. I will practice with my climber and use it to practice shooting and wait for the right wind. I can not stop thinking about this deer. I never considered myself a trophy hunter, in fact without AR I would probably still be shooting spikes, but that said this deer is worth waiting for. I am set on hunting him all season, even late season if need be. I have a DSLR camera with some great zoom lenses, unfortunately my girl friend has had it in Boston for the last week. I need to get a picture of this deer. Good luck to all and thanks for the advice.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page