Looking for Advice
I have a property that I hunt that I know has great hunting. The guy who hunted it before me shot several P and Y bucks on it. This is my first year hunting it, he had exclusive access before me( not a lease). I have been watching the fields and have observed several shooter bucks in it and lots of doe. Due to access the prevailing wind blow from my access point and hunting area to the bedding area. I typically ground hunt and have been waiting for the right day, wind and conditions to get in there. Now I have never shot any deer with my crossbow, I have passed on doe and have had alot of close calls on bucks, but have not sealed the deal. I have been seeing a large buck, but could be sure of exact size up until tonight. I watched him for about 10 minutes in the field tonight and got a good look. He is by far the largest buck I have ever seen in person and could be the buck of a lifetime. Being that i know exactly were he is tonight I want to try to hunt him tomorrow. The problem is the wind will be wrong and I don't want to get busted from the ground. I am going to cabelas to get a climbing stand, however i have never hunted from one, not sure if there is a tree in the area that I can climb and being a ground hunter primarily, I have never shot from a tree stand before. What would you do? De-scent and hunt the ground, where you are sure of your shooting, buy a stand and shoot a few shots to adjust scope prior to hunt, or buy stand to have for future use and wait until everything lines up to get after him? Secondary question, do the arc range finders work accurately to range from tree stands? I am determined to get after this buck now as I could not stomach the thought of him getting hit by a car, also once the rut starts, there is no telling where he will end up? Thanks in advance for any advice. I am going to get a stand now anyway because I know i will use it and don't want to be in this position again.