Flexibility in bolt lengths? - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 10-10-2010, 02:58 AM Thread Starter
Regular Visitor

Flexibility in bolt lengths?

I own a barnett c5 wildcat. It shoots 20-inch bolts.

Dad got the sportsmans guide catalog, and i noticed that he'd circled a very nice deal on some 22 inch bolts. I said dad, it doesnt shoot 22 inch bolts, and he said, whats the harm?

Asking this in public instead of PMing arrowhead in case someone else can benefit from my inexperience as well

- Rabid Groundhog
...who can't hardly wait to get back out into the field
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 10-10-2010, 08:28 AM

Re: Flexibility in bolt lengths?

You can shoot longer arrows but don't go shorter.Bob (member here) uses 22 inch arows in his Exocet and it calls for 20 inch.By the way if they are real cheap they may be that cheap and won't work well.Buy some Victories from Arrowhead after you shoot them you will know why.Arrows are cheap compared to shooting any gun.You can't reuse a cartridge unless you reload and even then it costs money to shoot it again.Not so with arrows.Carbon arrows will last until you lose them or hit a brick wall.

Bob Seger,till it shines.
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 10-10-2010, 03:39 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

The only danger I can think of it that it will stick out past the foot stirrup...or past where it should be. That being said I don't think I would do it. I'm sure the inexpensive arrows, are inexpensive for a reason. They may make good arrows for practice/plinking, but I don't think I would hunt with them.
If you are looking for less expensive arrows you can always go to aluminum. They are still good arrows at a reasonable price.

Our store- http://arrowhead-outdoors.com/
"The best warranty, is the one you never have to use"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 10-11-2010, 12:38 AM
Part of the Community

My dad made his and they ate 16 inches long. This sets the broadhead right next to the front of the bow. We can buy full length shafts and get 2 bolts out of each shaft. What you have to watch is overall arrow weight which should be listed in the owners manual. We never had any problem with them. The shorter they are the less flex you have as well. If you think about it compound bows don't have recommended length but they do recommend shaft weights. Heavier doesn't hurt but lighter will. When people go elk hunting or moose hunting they sometimes put a certain grain weight of sand in their shafts to get an extra punch of penetration. Just my. 02

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page