serious lack of success pics! - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 195 (permalink) Old 12-04-2013, 12:07 PM Thread Starter
Banned

serious lack of success pics!

I can't help but notice there is a serious lack of success pics this year, as compared to other years.

Heck, there's more animals from OUT of state than there are from IN state. Not that there's anything wrong with that.

Just hoping to see more pics of nice bucks!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 195 (permalink) Old 12-04-2013, 12:56 PM

Re: serious lack of success pics!

Agreed. I was thinking the same thing yesterday. I was actually looking in other forums thinking maybe I was in the wrong one.
post #3 of 195 (permalink) Old 12-04-2013, 12:59 PM

Driving to and from work I've seen very little orange in the woods of Montgomery County in places I usually see a lot. Drove through Evansburg state park yesterday morning and I saw 2 cars...... 2....
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 195 (permalink) Old 12-04-2013, 01:09 PM
Sage

There is a ton of early season opportunity now. In past years this has been discussed as well. Early muzz, archery, early opening seasons in the SRA - and the list goes on.

Not saying that is the answer, but I feel that many take advantage of the warm weather and fill tags as they can. The archery take is increasing and the early muzz and senior seasons are popular.

Is your position a short term gain - or a long term loss? Separate the issues.
post #5 of 195 (permalink) Old 12-04-2013, 01:10 PM
dce
Sage

I've been seeing a huge decrease in hunters over the past several years but this year was just weird.I didn't see a single person in the woods on monday or even a boot print in the snow.We heard some shots off in the distance but after 8:00am it was complete silence.It's almost like it's not even hunting season.I make a big loop every morning when I drop my daughter off at the bus.The vast majority of this area is either game farm co-ops or huge areas owned by nature conservancies or timber companies.I didn't see a single vehicle the last two mornings.One thing is for sure,the deer herd isn't taking a beating in this area.I talked with a guy that belongs to a camp up the road.They didn't kill a single deer yet.
post #6 of 195 (permalink) Old 12-04-2013, 01:12 PM
The Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by soup1279
Driving to and from work I've seen very little orange in the woods of Montgomery County in places I usually see a lot. Drove through Evansburg state park yesterday morning and I saw 2 cars...... 2....
I could not believe how few of hunters were in the woods and how little shooting we heard in our part of 2D the past few days. When I went to get my dad for lunch on Monday I asked him if we were out on the right day. I mean NOBODY hunting around us AT ALL. Was really weird. No doubt the rifle hunting participation has dropped way off.
post #7 of 195 (permalink) Old 12-04-2013, 01:22 PM

Things sure are changing. Lots of guys have given it up due to not seeing many deer. You here things like I am not wasting a vacation day, or spending the money to drive up north to not see any deer. Hunter numbers are dropping, you can plainly see that with the lack of hunters in the woods. I will always hunt no matter what, it is what I love to do. We where just discussing this a couple of weeks ago, how long do you think it will be until PA becomes a state that you can start taking two buck a year? We where all guessing about 10 to 15 years and the hunter numbers will be way down and the opportunity will then be available. Or how long until you see a Saturday opener or even sunday hunting or even another week added onto the current season. If they want to keep the deer numbers down they will have to come up with more opportunities for the hunters that are left to take more game.
post #8 of 195 (permalink) Old 12-04-2013, 01:22 PM

Didn't see many hanging at camps on my way home from Potter yesterday but the ones I did see were very nice no scrub bucks

4B
post #9 of 195 (permalink) Old 12-04-2013, 01:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kudu58
Quote:
Originally Posted by soup1279
I could not believe how few of hunters were in the woods and how little shooting we heard in our part of 2D the past few days. When I went to get my dad for lunch on Monday I asked him if we were out on the right day. I mean NOBODY hunting around us AT ALL. Was really weird. No doubt the rifle hunting participation has dropped way off.
Same here. Went to the hotel for lunch on monday and it was FULL of guys..........who weren't hunting but usually do. Why hunt what isn't there to hunt was the common thread. Of course I told them I saw nothing as I'd hate to change their minds but yes it is an epidemic right now in this area. Local butchers and taxidermists are utterly disgusted just like the hunters. Say what you will, but we are in dire straits in some areas of this state and the more I read, the more widespread it seems to be. Should hopefully make for some great hunting in years to come if these people get out and stay out of the game.

4C
Patron Life Member NRA
Life Member NAHC
post #10 of 195 (permalink) Old 12-04-2013, 01:27 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

I saw quite a few cars/hunters on Monday, on my drive to work (26 miles).

Tuesday I saw 3 cars/hunters.

Today, I saw ZERO cars/hunters.

I noticed the archery success post numbers were down this year as well.

The thing that boggles my mind, hunter numbers are down, success numbers APPEAR to be down. I know FEWER guys that are successfully filling tags. But yet the "estimated" deer harvest number continue to stay the same or slightly increase each year.

Say what you want, but its time for a different way of sharing harvest data. The estimates dont cut it anymore.

Take a kid hunting, it's the future of our sport and the future is now!
Wired Outdoors, Field Staff

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page