New Season Of Ax Men! - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 115 (permalink) Old 11-05-2013, 12:23 AM Thread Starter
The Man

New Season Of Ax Men!

Anybody watch the new season of Ax Men that started last night on History Channel? Word is, demand for wood is the highest it’s been in 10 years.

I wonder if PGC will use this opportunity to increase % cut per year and bring seedling/sapling stage timber back up to the historic levels needed to restore game populations we once had on our Game Lands.

I can't complain but sometimes I still do - Joe Walsh
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 115 (permalink) Old 11-05-2013, 10:50 AM
Sage

Re: New Season Of Ax Men!

You do know that the kinds of trees they take on that show aren't the same kind of trees we have in PA for the most part and just because there is a demand for large pine species doesn't mean there is the same demand for oak.

When you are up to your butt in alligators, it is hard to remember your intent was to drain the swamp. Stay focused!
post #3 of 115 (permalink) Old 11-05-2013, 01:41 PM

http://extension.psu.edu/natural-res...-market-report

... then click on 10 Year Price Trends. This is for PA Timber

2A-Wash. Co.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 115 (permalink) Old 11-05-2013, 04:56 PM
The Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by grundsow
Anybody watch the new season of Ax Men that started last night on History Channel? Word is, demand for wood is the highest it’s been in 10 years.
Well gosh, if it's on a "reality" show, then it MUST be true!

If you're having trouble hunting for deer,
don't wish things were easier;
wish you were smarter.
post #5 of 115 (permalink) Old 11-06-2013, 05:50 AM

I thought this was a thread about HR.

Another day in paradise. God hunts on Sundays.
post #6 of 115 (permalink) Old 11-06-2013, 09:39 PM Thread Starter
The Man

Quote:
By JohnS:
You do know that the kinds of trees they take on that show aren't the same kind of trees we have in PA for the most part and just because there is a demand for large pine species doesn't mean there is the same demand for oak.
Thank you,

Listen, like I demonstrated previously, there is already more than enough demand in PA to easily double the amount of wood cut on SGL. Word is, the lack of cutting is due to a personnel shortage needed to mark the darn trees and write up the plans.

Be that as it may, naturally the fir/spruce/pine from the pacific northwest portion of Ax Men is made into 2-by’s for framing homes. But, those same homes need PA’s poplar, oak & maple for kitchen cabinets, vanities, trim and flooring.

In fact, Fleroo’s link shows prices on the rise for mixed oak, poplar, soft maple, & “misc hardwoods”.

You’ll have to try harder to spoil my day, I have more butchering to do. Gotta love it when the wife brings home the venison too!

post #7 of 115 (permalink) Old 11-06-2013, 09:49 PM
Sage

You have not demonstrated anything other than you think you know more than you do.

When you are up to your butt in alligators, it is hard to remember your intent was to drain the swamp. Stay focused!
post #8 of 115 (permalink) Old 11-06-2013, 10:04 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

Use to like the History Ch., but the last few years it's turned into a joke.
Don't believe much of anything I see on TV anymore as true,take most all shows as entertainment, not factual.

The way that you wander is the way that you choose,
The day that you tarry is the day that you lose.
Sunshine or thunder, a man will always wonder.
Where the fair wind blows.
post #9 of 115 (permalink) Old 11-07-2013, 09:31 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

I guess all this demand you're mentioning is why even the Amish logging crews around are laying guys off regularly. And the closest chip market they have is in Towanda - 3+ hours from here. LOL! Cuz a PSU prof said prices are up and the housing market's coming back, I guess your investing in timberland now, eh?? Then my business, which is directly tied to the housing market, should be booming, right?? And i shouldn't be selling my guns to pay my mortgage, right?? I mean, they're building sooo many houses now, and buying exorbitant amounts of PA hardwoods to build cabinets, hardwood flooring and furniture for those houses (since PA doesn't really supply diddly for the framing or subflooring for residential use, but the West does where all those cool reality shows are made), that all the timber guys I know should not be able to even sleep now, right?? Rather than selling off their equipment and sending their guys home for a few days of a 5 day week, right??

We've gone from around 1.7 million new housing starts in 2006, to about 385,000 in 2009, to about 900,000 currently - short story - we're at about half of where we we just 7 years ago - there's your growth. And average new residence now is much cheaper than before - no hardwood floors - down economy. With US population growth around 0.9% per year lately in the US, and US birth rate down four years consecutive, the only growth we have is thru immigration, and I doubt most of them have the $$ for a new house. Most new housing now is cheaper homes to replace the ones we couldn't afford before.

Sure prices are up, but we ain't nowhere near back to zero yet. I recommend they sit on MY investment in public land still the prices return - the trees will still be there. Then when the prices do come back,cut sustainably - don't flood the markets, and create good, diverse, sustainable habitat AND timber production.
post #10 of 115 (permalink) Old 11-10-2013, 10:57 AM Thread Starter
The Man

Quote:
by JohnS:
You have not demonstrated anything other than you think you know more than you do.
So I’ll take that as you will NOT be volunteering your time to cut trees on SGL. I figured as much…
yawn

All you anti-cut folks seem to find every excuse to avoid engaging in or even supporting any improvement for wildlife and/or hunters - content to sit idle behind your computer lashing out at folks. It’s curious behavior. I wonder if you WANT to see the PGC fail, or if you have just have such disdain for hunters that you will go to such lengths to see us deprived of quality hunting.

From the PGC Grouse Plan :
Quote:
Unfortunately, the proportion of PA forest classified as early successional and young forest has declined about 40% since the 1980s , and overall grouse populations have responded accordingly as indicated by the approximate 30-50% decline in CBC (Christmas Bird Count) and BBA (Breeding Bird Atlas) indices during that same period.

Commercial timber harvests and other proactive habitat management practices must be implemented at an adequate scale and at appropriate intervals to ensure a continuous supply of quality ruffed grouse habitat on the landscape.

PA now has approximately 11.6% of its forest in young age classes and fulfillment of the [grouse] plan would result in an additional 5.7% in that forest size class, for a total of 17.3% in early-successional stands.
Meanwhile SGL are sentenced to a meager 9% seedling/sapling

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page