Controlling your Buck/Doe ratio - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-17-2013, 01:31 PM Thread Starter

Controlling your Buck/Doe ratio

For those of you that own private land, do you have a method for how many does you shoot each year? For example, do you try to shoot two doe for every buck you harvest or do you base it off of how many and what types of deer you are seeing each year? Not trying to start a debate here, just want some feedback.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-17-2013, 01:49 PM
dce
Sage

Re: Controlling your Buck/Doe ratio

Bucks travel and disperse.There's really no way to alter the BD ratio on a piece of property unless it's huge.
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-11-2013, 04:26 AM
Hooked on HuntingPa

While what dce said is true anything you do can help. Last year 5 deer were taken on my property. 4 doe and 1 buck. Even if the next 95 closest deer were taken at a 50:50 ratio that still makes a few percent difference. Everything no matter how small makes some difference. The more people that believe in it, the bigger the change in overall results can be. For the last 6 or 7 years my doe harvest has far exceeded buck harvest and this year I feel that my sightings are close to 50:50 while hunting. Yes, total numbers of deer seen are down but the number of bucks seen are actually up!! A lot of smaller bucks, some better ones, and one stud. It does work, slowly but surely.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-11-2013, 01:00 PM

Quote:
Yes, total numbers of deer seen are down but the number of bucks seen are actually up!! A lot of smaller bucks, some better ones, and one stud. It does work, slowly but surely.
Do you think maybe cause and effect has anything to do with your sightings? Less Doe could mean buck have to move more to find Doe and you get to see more of the bucks because of them moving more.

Trying to understand why in 6 or 7 years the amount of smaller bucks still is more than the amount of better ones. One would think the smaller ones would have grown up by now. Waugh!

AR is only a pacifier.You will never grow if it's not in your genes.
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-11-2013, 01:03 PM

Quote:
Bucks travel and disperse.There's really no way to alter the BD ratio on a piece of property unless it's huge.
I understand your point but also feel that the harvest of Doe alone does more to alter the ratio than the harvest of bucks. Mostly for the same reason you just pointed out. Bucks move more than Doe move. Waugh!

post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-11-2013, 01:36 PM
dce
Sage

It's a combination.Shooting more does and harvesting less bucks will put a higher percentage of bucks in the population.
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-11-2013, 04:20 PM
Hooked on HuntingPa

Well I am sure I am not the only one harvesting deer and as bucks get better sized I am sure they are being shot. My cover isn't the thickest so I'm sure that decreases bigger buck sightings. Yes, as there are fewer doe bucks need to travel more so that increases sightings also. Many, many pieces to the puzzle.
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-12-2013, 12:52 AM

Quote:
Shooting more does and harvesting less bucks will put a higher percentage of bucks in the population.
That leaves,(not puts),a higher percentage in the population.

Shooting additional Doe and shooting the same amount of bucks as "always" would also increase the percentage of bucks in the remaining herd. No need to shoot less bucks to adjust the percentage of bucks in the D:B ratio. Waugh!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page