WMU 4A Hunters - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 37 (permalink) Old 09-03-2013, 11:11 PM Thread Starter
Part of the Community

WMU 4A Hunters

Just wondering what other hunters are seeing in our WMU, as far as herd or lack there of...

It's hard not to be a menace to society, when half the population is happy on their knees
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 37 (permalink) Old 09-04-2013, 09:26 AM
The Man

Re: WMU 4A Hunters

Can't speak for the whole unit, but here in the northern part (Blair, Huntington counties), deer numbers seem good.

If you're having trouble hunting for deer,
don't wish things were easier;
wish you were smarter.
post #3 of 37 (permalink) Old 09-04-2013, 12:49 PM
Sage

Around the Fulton Bedford line in Southern Fulton numbers are increasing. Easy to see increases in this area.

Is your position a short term gain - or a long term loss? Separate the issues.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 37 (permalink) Old 09-04-2013, 02:01 PM
dce
Sage

Deer numbers are a matter of perspective.I went to a deer management hearing a few years ago and several people,including some state reps were complaing that they weren't seeing 60+deer a day anymore or seeing 200+ in fields at night.I get skunked some days and if a couple of us push some areas,we still may see 20+/day.On average I see a handful if I'm hunting by myself but there's usually nobody in the woods pushing them around anymore.I live in 2G where the deer herd has been reduced more than any area of the state.It was painful but needed.While deer numbers are low,there's more deer than most people realize.
post #5 of 37 (permalink) Old 09-04-2013, 03:21 PM
Hooked on HuntingPa

There are no deer in 4A....

4A/5B

post #6 of 37 (permalink) Old 09-04-2013, 06:32 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

i drive every day to hagerstown and see alot of deer in the mornings going to work...i have come close to smashing a few so far this year
post #7 of 37 (permalink) Old 09-04-2013, 09:16 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

The area of 3B where my camp is located deer numbers are good & on the rise. watched quite a few this weekend at camp comming to the apple trees.
post #8 of 37 (permalink) Old 09-04-2013, 09:52 PM Thread Starter
Part of the Community

Agreed, there are usually more deer than you see around. We did a tiny bit of spotlighting (legal, no guns) last weekend up at the mountain... I wasn't disappointed, so that's good. On our land and the state ground that connects we haven't seen much yet, but still much scouting to be done...

It's hard not to be a menace to society, when half the population is happy on their knees
post #9 of 37 (permalink) Old 09-05-2013, 12:28 AM
The Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by dce
Deer numbers are a matter of perspective.I went to a deer management hearing a few years ago and several people,including some state reps were complaing that they weren't seeing 60+deer a day anymore or seeing 200+ in fields at night.I get skunked some days and if a couple of us push some areas,we still may see 20+/day.On average I see a handful if I'm hunting by myself but there's usually nobody in the woods pushing them around anymore.I live in 2G where the deer herd has been reduced more than any area of the state.It was painful but needed.While deer numbers are low,there's more deer than most people realize.
I see a lot more deer driving into 2G (private land). The sgl here in 3A, the clothes will rot off you before you see 20 in a day. That's the bad news...the good news is if you do, 15 will be sporting antlers.
post #10 of 37 (permalink) Old 09-05-2013, 12:08 PM
dce
Sage

Three years ago was hunting Moshannon state forest on the first day.I planned on just pushing deer to my buddy all day because I already had my buck tag filled.I did have a dmap tag but wasn't too concerned about filling it that early.As I was walking around a hillside to put a drive on for my buddy,I ran into a guy that had a camp nearby.He was walkinh with the wind directly at his back,hands in pocket and rifle over his shoulder,He whined and complained the whole time about no deer and how the PGC and DCNR wiped them all out.Intersetingly,I hunt this area quite a bit and he was the only guy I saw all day and that's usually the case.I'm really not sure who killed all the deer.In any event,By the end of the day,I had only seen three tails because I really wasn't trying to be stealthy.I was pushing deer to my buddy and he saw over thirty that day.We Went back the first saturday for the morning and left as soon as we each killed a doe.Once again,no other hunters.On the last day we took a younger guy up who was having a hard time killing a deer.We put on a couple small drives and then just split up.By 10:30 we all killed deer and saw anywhere from 10-15 a piece.Once again,not another hunter and there were tracks all over in the snow.I haven't hunted that spot since then because they too it out of dmap and I haven't had any tags for that area.Still,I rarely ever see hunters up that high so I have no idea who's killing all the deer.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in