Why is rifle season in late November/December? - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 71 (permalink) Old 08-03-2013, 08:35 PM Thread Starter

Why is rifle season in late November/December?

Why does the Pennsylvania rifle season take place when it does in late November and early December? Is there a master plan that I'm unaware of?

I ask because I have recently been told the following...

Quote:
And keep in mind, with hunting, for instance, we choose when the deer season is precisely based on the time when it will damage the deer population the most. Right after the does become pregnant.
Quote:
Nonetheless, the vast majority of does are harvested in the anterless rifle season, and it's timing was designed to be after the rut, ensuring that essentially all does are pregnant for maximum effect.
What say ye? I say it doesn't matter when you kill a doe in the fall it will have the same effect whether she's bred or not. The idea that we try to get does pregnant before we shoot them makes zero sense.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 71 (permalink) Old 08-03-2013, 08:52 PM
The Man

Re: Why is rifle season in late November/December?

Right on, doesn't matter if she's dead before or after she's pregnant. If she's not alive, she's not giving birth. However, I think what the people you have quoted were getting at is this. Consider that in a population there could be enough doe that they all don't get bred. Does are shot after breeding season, and pregnant ones get killed. Others that aren't pregnant survive. If you have the season before breeding takes place, there are less doe for the bucks to breed. Then a higher percentage if the doe left get bred, and the bucks energy wasn't wasted breeding a doe that will just end up dead anyway.

I think I'm an alright guy, I think I'm alright
post #3 of 71 (permalink) Old 08-03-2013, 09:05 PM
Sage

When do you want to hunt with rifle? How about July or August when the odds are the deer will spoil before you get it home, or why not in may when the antlers are still growing and are in velvet. I swear, hunters in this state would complain if they were hung with a new rope. I have to admit, you found a new subject to complain about.

When you are up to your butt in alligators, it is hard to remember your intent was to drain the swamp. Stay focused!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 71 (permalink) Old 08-03-2013, 09:23 PM Thread Starter

I'm not complaining about anything, I have zero issues with when rifle season occurs now. I just don't believe that the reason for the timing of the season is to shoot does after they become pregnant as it doesn't make one lick of difference from a population control standpoint.
post #5 of 71 (permalink) Old 08-03-2013, 09:24 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Borden811
Right on, doesn't matter if she's dead before or after she's pregnant. If she's not alive, she's not giving birth. However, I think what the people you have quoted were getting at is this. Consider that in a population there could be enough doe that they all don't get bred. Does are shot after breeding season, and pregnant ones get killed. Others that aren't pregnant survive. If you have the season before breeding takes place, there are less doe for the bucks to breed. Then a higher percentage if the doe left get bred, and the bucks energy wasn't wasted breeding a doe that will just end up dead anyway.
In all honesty I don't think that's what they were getting at.
post #6 of 71 (permalink) Old 08-03-2013, 09:50 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

Quote:
Originally Posted by John S
When do you want to hunt with rifle? How about July or August when the odds are the deer will spoil before you get it home, or why not in may when the antlers are still growing and are in velvet. I swear, hunters in this state would complain if they were hung with a new rope. I have to admit, you found a new subject to complain about.
Gold rope.
post #7 of 71 (permalink) Old 08-03-2013, 10:42 PM

Tha "Master Plan" has been in place since I started hunting in 1968. A wonderful Thanksgiving dinner with my family,
pack on Friday and then head to camp.
It's perfect, gives me a nice long vacation and quite
frankly I don't care their reasons for it.
JUST DON'T CHANGE IT!!!! I've had enough change lately to last the rest of my life.

9 " you want Philly Philly? "

Doug " yeah, let's do it. "
post #8 of 71 (permalink) Old 08-03-2013, 11:10 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

I believe the deer seasons are set the way they are to give all "deer hunters" as many opportunities as possible to hunt deer.

Making the resource last as long as possible will also sell more licences.

Doe hunting has nothing to do with it. it's called a WIN WIN.

Only fools fight in a burning house...Day of the dove
post #9 of 71 (permalink) Old 08-03-2013, 11:13 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

Have to agree that there was no complaining involved....just asked a question.

No need to rush to defend the GC.......

I prefer my kid hunt and fish rather than steal and deal,
post #10 of 71 (permalink) Old 08-04-2013, 12:10 AM
The Man

There was no complaining with the OP as anyone could plainly see. Just a simple question. There was just a typical, jerk response from the biggest know it all on this site. Very easy to ignore really. Makes me laugh it's so predictable.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page