Md. Chance of AR Withdrawn - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 63 (permalink) Old 03-17-2013, 02:11 PM Thread Starter
The Man

Md. Chance of AR Withdrawn

It was proposed for 1 county in Md. to go with Antler restriction but the senator who proposed it after flack with drew his bill. We have a very nice outdoor section in our Sunday paper which also includes letters to the editor on outdoor items positive and negative. I couldnt believe how this bill just scared people to death of this happening. I couldnt imagine writing a letter and signing my name than having it published in newspaper of boo hooing because i cant kill a spike. Than the real kicker of how everyone needs this deer for food, give me a break, Todays society of welfare, several other programs for food such as food bank, etc and we have to kill a deer to feed family. I think if i was that hard up the 20.00 gas, 30.00 box of shells, 20.00 sheetz lunch i would just go to market.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 63 (permalink) Old 03-17-2013, 02:41 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

Re: Md. Chance of AR Withdrawn

Of the hunters I know, very few don't like AR. The ones that don't are the older guys, who blasted a spike by 9 am the first day most years up until AR. I'm not saying all older hunters are the problem. I just think most who are a problem when it comes to AR are 55 yrs +.

Support Habitat Conservation.
post #3 of 63 (permalink) Old 03-17-2013, 05:39 PM Thread Starter
The Man

I know i find it funny where man thing is to have to kill a deer. Think about our hunting storys, you kill a 5,6,7and 8 you say i got a descent 6 everything okey maybe even show a pic, etc. Kill a spike and asked how you done, " well i got a spike " Ever hear that term. Or you stop somewhere ever ask anyone to come out and look at your spike? I know ar has helped my area in Pa big time. My area was spikes and four pointers maybe 1 12" 8 point was taken once a year in area. We are not overloaded with deer and i would like to see doe season cut back some but its sure nice to see some nice 6 and 8 pointers around especially around 16". Back in 2000 me and a buddy went to Ga. on a hunt where the entire county was 15" outside spread but outfitters rule was 16" to be safe for county rule.We paid good money back than for this hunt considering it so so trophy hunt, Now here in Pa. i have just as good of chance of taking that size buck that i paid good money for 13 years ago.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 63 (permalink) Old 03-17-2013, 05:59 PM

Ya but soon as you trophy hunters say AR, you forget its purpose. Some may like the meat as much as you like the horns, and 1 buck and 1 doe back in the day helped out with the food bill some and is healthy meat. Myself and many hunters have practiced AR before AR. We didnt shoot the first buck, some did. Now you have mentored hunters blasting these small bucks at 7am so whats the difference?
post #5 of 63 (permalink) Old 03-17-2013, 10:23 PM Thread Starter
The Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alpine Shooter
Ya but soon as you trophy hunters say AR, you forget its purpose. Some may like the meat as much as you like the horns, and 1 buck and 1 doe back in the day helped out with the food bill some and is healthy meat. Myself and many hunters have practiced AR before AR. We didnt shoot the first buck, some did. Now you have mentored hunters blasting these small bucks at 7am so whats the difference?
I am not even close to being called a trophy hunter. I just find it nicer to see a descent buck and can leave a spike go with out thinking i have to prove something. Its nice to have meat in the freezer but that is a bonus from hunting.
post #6 of 63 (permalink) Old 03-17-2013, 11:30 PM
Frequent Contributor

AR did more to ruin the future of hunting in Pa than I can deem possible. Doc in Pa.
post #7 of 63 (permalink) Old 03-18-2013, 12:21 AM
Part of the Community

Thank goodness MD still offers traditional deer opportunities without a state agency telling me what buck I am aloud to shoot. I am fortunate enough to hunt property on the Easteren shore where there is plenty of trophy bucks in which case it is easy to hold out for one knowing the vast number of them in the area I hunt. If I still hunted public land in the north west part of the state I would be devastated with antler restrictions
post #8 of 63 (permalink) Old 03-18-2013, 06:29 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doc in Pa
AR did more to ruin the future of hunting in Pa than I can deem possible. Doc in Pa.
Please enlighten us oh omnipotent one! Not your opinion but facts please, I'll get my pop corn!
post #9 of 63 (permalink) Old 03-18-2013, 11:10 AM

Will just say; we love venison and count on it. Alot less venison around our way since AR/Antlerless kill off began.
To say some PA residents don't count on venison is incorrect.
Monday nite roast in crockpot is a staple in our neck of the woods.
I understand the desire for large antlers but not at the cost of 2/3rds of the herd or more.

The difference between dreamers and achievers is action.
One try is worth a thousand guesses.
post #10 of 63 (permalink) Old 03-18-2013, 11:39 AM
Hooked on HuntingPa

Thats too bad one would think that with the oprotunity to harvest 4 buck;something could have been worked out.I hunt in the bow only herford area where we have earn a buck and think its great.

Public Land Whitetails=Fix's Drug of Choice youtube 891fix

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page