Do farmers really want THEIR deer killed? - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 55 (permalink) Old 01-22-2013, 04:02 AM Thread Starter
Diehard Outdoorsman

Do farmers really want THEIR deer killed?

Seems as though the farmers in Ohio don't suffer crop damage. Ohio DNR put together a pretty good program to unite both farmers and hunters and the farmers didn't want any part. Ohio DNR discontinued the program this year due to lack of interest from the Ohio Farm Bureau.

http://huntohiofarms.com/
The HuntOhioFarms.com website was launched in August 2009 with the expectation of addressing crop damage by deer, while at the same time increasing hunting opportunities. This was a joint effort between the Ohio Farm Bureau (OFB) and the Division of Wildlife (DOW). While the concept was not new, uniting hunters and farmers using the Internet was. After the first year, more than 9,000 hunters had enrolled as compared to the 83 farmers in the 4-county test area. In spite of very little interest by the farming community, the OFB urged the DOW to expand the program to 38 counties across southeast Ohio in 2010. At the end of year two, an additional 5,000 hunters had enrolled. Only 40 additional farmers signed up in spite of direct mailings from the DOW and strong marketing efforts by the OFB. Farmers also showed little interest in participating in post-season surveys to evaluate program strengths and weaknesses.

Based on the program results over the past two years, it appears that many farmers simply are not interested or willing to allow additional deer hunting as a means of managing deer and ultimately crop damage on their property. While we value and respect their opinion, it makes little sense to continue funding this program which currently serves no purpose but to unnecessarily raise expectations of Ohio's hunters. Therefore, until we have concrete evidence that there is real interest on the part of the OFB to use this tool to address deer crop damage, the HuntOhioFarms.com website will cease to exist. The DOW will continue to work with the OFB, as we have in the past, to find practical solutions to deer crop damage using deer hunting and other means as needed.

We want to thank you for your interest in this program and for your continued support of the Division of Wildlife's deer program. We apologize for any inconvenience this may have caused and look forward to offering you an alternative to HuntOhioFarms.com in the near future.

Makes me wonder just how bad farmers here in PA want the deer killed for crop damage? Would or do we have the same results?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 55 (permalink) Old 01-22-2013, 04:42 AM
Diehard Outdoorsman

Re: Do farmers really want THEIR deer killed?

There was a program in Pa like that before. It had the same results.
post #3 of 55 (permalink) Old 01-22-2013, 05:27 AM
The Man

I had a farmer tell me one evening:
"If you see a deer, you better shoot it. If you see another, you shoot it too. Just keep shooting till you run out of bullets or arrows, and I'll run the tractor up to help ya out".

This man shared a property line with a landowner (not a farmer) who didn't allow any hunting, and had substantial losses every year. Ground was heavily posted, but he allowed hunting to those who asked in advance and didn't act like idiots. He had some damage done to his house some years ago (by hunters) and still was a little hesitant to just let anyone run around.

If you're having trouble hunting for deer,
don't wish things were easier;
wish you were smarter.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 55 (permalink) Old 01-22-2013, 05:30 AM Thread Starter
Diehard Outdoorsman

Quote:
Originally Posted by quackmaster4
I had a farmer tell me one evening:
"If you see a deer, you better shoot it. If you see another, you shoot it too. Just keep shooting till you run out of bullets or arrows, and I'll run the tractor up to help ya out".

This man shared a property line with a landowner (not a farmer) who didn't allow any hunting, and had substantial losses every year. Ground was heavily posted, but he allowed hunting to those who asked in advance and didn't act like idiots. He had some damage done to his house some years ago (by hunters) and still was a little hesitant to just let anyone run around.
I can see a farmer in that situation wanting as many deer killed as possible.
post #5 of 55 (permalink) Old 01-22-2013, 06:56 AM
The Man

The two farms I hunt on are the same. In fact, if they ever thought I passed up a deer, waiting for a bigger one, I doubt I'd be invited back. They want them dead, no matter how. The more you kill, te more they want you to come back, and the happier they are.

I think I'm an alright guy, I think I'm alright
post #6 of 55 (permalink) Old 01-22-2013, 09:21 AM
Wiz

I grew up hunting a friend of the families farm. Every time I went up to groundhog hunt in the summer, he told me to shoot some deer. He wasn't saying it in a joking manner either. The deer used to destroy his alfalfa fields. Wasn't uncommon to see 50-70 deer in his backfield when spotting in the fall.
post #7 of 55 (permalink) Old 01-22-2013, 09:45 AM
Frequent Contributor

Many farmers also enjoy harvesting large bucks so inviting people in to just shoot deer doesn't sit well with most. Maybe if they made it a "doe only" type deal more farmers might jump on board.
post #8 of 55 (permalink) Old 01-22-2013, 03:45 PM

did they check to see if the Ohio farmers were leasing their land during hunting season?
post #9 of 55 (permalink) Old 01-22-2013, 03:55 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

You can't generalize farmers into one group, just like anybody else. Some farmers hate all wildlife and don't enjoy even seeing it. Some love wildlife and enjoy hunting/wildlife watching. Most are somewhere in the middle.

Support Habitat Conservation.
post #10 of 55 (permalink) Old 01-22-2013, 04:02 PM
dce
Sage

I talked with a guy up the road from me who leases out close to 100 acres to one of my buddies who plants corn there.The farm is mostly fields but it's enrolled in the game/farm program and open to hunting.My buddy who farms it,loses at least 25% of his yield every year from deer and bear.Anyway,I was asking the owner of this property how they did this year and he was telling me that they killed a couple nice bucks but refused to shoot any doe because there weren't many around.It's all a matter of perspective.My buddy loses thousands of dollars a year.I see 30-40 deer in those fields all summer long but someone else claims there isn't enough.My guess would be,if it was his money being put into the ground there would be enough deer.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page