VALLEY FORGE, Pa. - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 51 (permalink) Old 12-18-2012, 12:07 AM Thread Starter

VALLEY FORGE, Pa.

VALLEY FORGE, Pa. (AP) Professional hunters have resumed efforts to cull the deer population inside Valley Forge National Historical Park as officials try to reduce it to sustainable levels.

The hunts that sparked opposition and a federal lawsuit three years ago resumed in November. Park officials say they're necessary because the deer population has grown rapidly as natural predators are pushed out by development.

The Philadelphia Inquirer (http://bit.ly/TVSctZ ) reports the deer population density was as high as 291 per square mile before the hunts began, well above the 35 per square mile park officials consider sustainable.

Two years of hunting have brought the population to about 71 per square mile.

The park says the huge deer population was stripping forests of ground cover and forcing out other species. Hunting will continue through March.

___

Information from: The Philadelphia Inquirer, http://www.philly.com

I guess city folk call this hunting. Waugh!

AR is only a pacifier.You will never grow if it's not in your genes.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 51 (permalink) Old 12-18-2012, 12:23 AM
Banned

Re: VALLEY FORGE, Pa.

Im surprised. No gonacon yet? I heard they were discussing its use there. Just a matter of time I'm betting.
post #3 of 51 (permalink) Old 12-18-2012, 12:57 AM
Sage

Why?

Besides, the GC has to approve the permit. They as much said that they will never do that unless there were just no other options. Valley Forge has a working plan. No need for an iffy, high dollar, massively time intensive, and only partially successful contraceptive.

Two - the anit's have and continue to talk about contraceptives at every chance. Talk is talk - but in the end the GC has the final say.

Just to be clear, the Depart of Ag has regulatory control of the stuff in PA. In other words they authorized use within PA borders. But the GC has final and complete say in its use on wildlife. The BOC was very clear it was nearly an impossible option and the resolution contained in the BOC Work Book states it as such.

Is your position a short term gain - or a long term loss? Separate the issues.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 51 (permalink) Old 12-18-2012, 01:30 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
but in the end the GC has the final say.
I hope you are right but I have to ask. Is that true on Federal land. Waugh!

post #5 of 51 (permalink) Old 12-18-2012, 01:40 AM
Frequent Contributor

Send a message via AIM to 41 MagFan

I drive thru the park often and you can tell they have culled the herd. You dont see as many herds of deer out at night feeding. I take my kids thru the park during the day to look for deer and we dont see as many as before.
post #6 of 51 (permalink) Old 12-18-2012, 01:51 AM

Keep shootin' fellas. More deer keep moving into the park from surrounding areas. It's gonna take years to get that place under control. Glad to see they are finally fixing the situation.
post #7 of 51 (permalink) Old 12-18-2012, 01:52 AM Thread Starter

Check behind the trees because at 71 deer per Square mile there has to be one behind most trees if there are any trees. Waugh!

post #8 of 51 (permalink) Old 12-18-2012, 03:31 PM
Banned

With so many more deer there than are in other places where Pgc claims the forest was being ruined, you would think those deer would be eating all the trees. Even the mature ones.
post #9 of 51 (permalink) Old 12-18-2012, 06:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimbridger
Check behind the trees because at 71 deer per Square mile there has to be one behind most trees if there are any trees. Waugh!
If you have ever been there which I gather you haven't you might understand why they do this. It is a deer investation although it is better than in recent years I can understand the reasoning of the "kill". I can't call this a "hunt" I'm sure you understand that. I just wish they wouldn't waste the funds on the "pros". Gettysburg also comes to mind as a similar scenario. So what does this have to do with AR/HR this a very unique situation such as this and what is the purpose of posting the article just for a rouse? Thanks for posting it if nothing else you have helped inform some of us that enjoy the park from time to time.
post #10 of 51 (permalink) Old 12-18-2012, 06:16 PM
Banned

Why hasn't it been open to hunters. It would seem that would save them money and also fix the problem.

I read in that article where they said their goals would be around 35 dpsm to be a good sustainable number and alleviate the problems with deer over browsing the habitat.

That seems like very reasonable number and rationale.

35 dpsm and they don't even have a hunting public to appease.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page