Why not 4 on one side state wide? - The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 270 (permalink) Old 12-04-2012, 08:38 PM Thread Starter

Why not 4 on one side state wide?

I hunt 2C and hate seeing all of the 1.5 yr old 6 points being taken each year. What is the reasoning behind some units still being 3 points to a side. If I could change one thing, it would be this! I see no difference between killing a little y buck without brow tines versus one with.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 270 (permalink) Old 12-04-2012, 08:46 PM
Sage

Re: Why not 4 on one side state wide?

Because it is not necessary. If you want to hold out for that, knock yourself out. Don't try to push your wants and antler infatuation on everyone else.

When you are up to your butt in alligators, it is hard to remember your intent was to drain the swamp. Stay focused!
post #3 of 270 (permalink) Old 12-04-2012, 08:50 PM Thread Starter

I'm not trying to push it on everyone else. It's just a simple question. Is there really a difference if we're going to have an A/R across the state? Why not try to protect most of the 1.5 yr old deer?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 270 (permalink) Old 12-04-2012, 08:59 PM
Sage

We don't even have a 4 pt rule where it used to be, it is now 3 on top.

When you are up to your butt in alligators, it is hard to remember your intent was to drain the swamp. Stay focused!
post #5 of 270 (permalink) Old 12-04-2012, 09:02 PM
Diehard Outdoorsman

Quote:
Originally Posted by John S
Because it is not necessary. If you want to hold out for that, knock yourself out. Don't try to push your wants and antler infatuation on everyone else.
Thank you for such an insightful and elioquent comment. We are all better people for having read such a great masterpiece.

There is no such thing as a stupid question, just stupid people asking questions.
post #6 of 270 (permalink) Old 12-04-2012, 09:04 PM

Quote:
Bingo!!!...
post #7 of 270 (permalink) Old 12-04-2012, 09:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrewMc
I hunt 2C and hate seeing all of the 1.5 yr old 6 points being taken each year. What is the reasoning behind some units still being 3 points to a side. If I could change one thing, it would be this! I see no difference between killing a little y buck without brow tines versus one with.
the reason that it was never 4 points statewide is because it wasnt needed as johnS said, and the herd is obviously different in every part of the state. HR didnt need AR as much to be "sold" to the hunters as it did in the 4 point to a side areas. now that the herd is gettin put "in check", in the previously 4 point to a side (which are now 3 up top), there is a less of a need to "sell" HR. Other states have done the same thing. some used antler spread as the use of their restrictions, but IMHO that isnt ideal for state programs and would not fit into the "PA ways of hunting". jump shooting, deer drives, etc.

the only reason AR assists with making lager bucks is that it sold the HR point to hunters and they were happy to kill more doe, which in turn lowered deer population, bettered the habitat, allowed more forage and more nutritious forage for that matter for the remaining deer. more forage and a better habitat for deer make a healthier herd and a healthier herd = bigger buck.
post #8 of 270 (permalink) Old 12-05-2012, 02:56 AM
The Man

Quote:
That is probably the only statement you have ever made that I 100% agree with.........people are so much infatuated with antlers that it is going to be the ruination of the sport of hunting......

"Most people miss opportunity because it comes dressed in overalls, and looks like hard work"
post #9 of 270 (permalink) Old 12-05-2012, 03:06 AM
Part of the Community

let me know how much different the horns taste when there is four on a side. My question for you is what do you do about the 3.5 year old buck that are giant spikes or ugly 4 points with bad genetics that get the chance to reproduce
post #10 of 270 (permalink) Old 12-05-2012, 01:55 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by buckassassin
let me know how much different the horns taste when there is four on a side. My question for you is what do you do about the 3.5 year old buck that are giant spikes or ugly 4 points with bad genetics that get the chance to reproduce
If I was that concerned with meat, I would just shoot a doe. I enjoy shooting a buck, but I love the challenge of shooting an older mature buck that the majority of the time has a larger rack and more point as most hunters do. I can't say I've ever seen any of the bucks you described in my 15 years of hunting, so that tells you how rare they are, at least where I hunt. So if a 3.5 year old spike gets to reproduce, oh well. There are 1.5 yr old spikes that get to reproduce.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page